Author Topic: Has anyone seen this documentary?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Has anyone seen this documentary?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772153/

Any thoughts on it?

From people who have actually seen it, not people who will judge it just from it's title......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:45:58 pm by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Has anyone seen this documentary?
Sounds like a very typical bandwagonish movie.  So I won't go see it.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

I'd rather read Kagan's Dangerous Nation.  Not your typical anti-American screed, but very informative nonetheless.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Kinda screams "I have no idea what facism actually is, I just like the word."
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

Any thoughts on it?

After Why We Fight, Fahrenheit 9/11, and Loose Change, I'm getting a little tired of "AMERICA IS BECOMING NAZI GERMANY WATCH OUT AMERICANS!!!1" especially since the election basically turned that around.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
We're not facist.

yet.

*evil laugh

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
The only consistent source of high-quality political documentaries is "Frontline". PBS seems to have the only people who are smart enough to realize that you don't have to embellish the facts to make our country's situation look really bad.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
I don't really care what people make of the US now. Sure I will in four years, but right as I'm not responsible for our reputation as of this moment, not now. No matter what I do now, people will keep on bashing the US. It's not my fault that people not from the US are stupid, because I'm not stupid. And I'm involved with far to many things to be tutoring people. Whenever I hear people bashing the US for stupid citizens or incompetent government, I just think to myself that I'll be part of the solution to that problem when I can vote.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Kinda screams "I have no idea what facism actually is, I just like the word."

Far as I can recall (haven't seen it, but I've read about it), it's more about taxes than Bush/Iraq/whatever. IIRC it's coming from a libertarian perspective, basically this one dude on an anti-tax crusade and only indirectly touching on the foreign policy situation.

I can't bring myself to hate on the guy, seeing as how he's a libertarian through and through, and incidentally has endorsed Ron Paul's presidential bid.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That doesn't really detract from my point.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking

Any thoughts on it?

I would recommend HBO's documentary Hacking Democracy.  It outlines many of the security flaws in America's new electronic voting machines.  It also makes some interesting insinuations...
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I watched this... they jumped to some conclusions, but on the whole it's fairly accurate. Look at http://www.realnightmare.org

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Ok, since so many people haven't seen it and are just talking out of their asses, I decided to download it anyway and take a look at it.

For most of the movie it is talking about the Federal Income Tax and the IRS. It cites many surpreme court cases that have upholded that the 16th amendment granted no new powers of taxation. Which basically means you don't have to pay it and file a return. It also talks about the IRS's brutal, mafia style tactics for go after poor people. It gives many interviews with victims of the IRS, and also people who were forced to resign from the IRS because they presented to their superiors evidence that what they were doing was wrong.

It spends a small amount of time talking about the various infringements to civil liberties that have been going on, especially under the Bush administration. It talks very briefly about the Real ID Act, and frankly that was the scariest part of the film.

At the very end it does jump to the conclusion that this is all part of a plot by bankers to form a one world police state. To back up this claim the film uses various quotes from several people on the Council on Foreign Relations as well as quotes from John Rockefeller. I wasn't totally convinced of this part of the film because there is no direct evidence to support this, however the rest of it seemed to be backed up by some evidence as well as interviews with various people who were either involved with these things, or knew what was going on. They even had an interview with the guy who wrote the tax code, and he was caught on film saying that the Supreme Court decisions were "not applicable
" to the IRS. Scarey huh?

Even if you don't believe in the one world bankers conspiracy bit, it is still worth watching. Seriously, go have a look.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key