Author Topic: OpenAL installation problems  (Read 2300 times)

Offline gman19

OpenAL installation problems
I just downloaded FS_Open 3.6.9, tried to run it, and it said I needed OpenAL 1.1 or higher to run. So, I Googled it, found it at developer.creative.com, but can't download it and get the message "Invalid password" on the queue in my Free Download Manager with Firefox. I looked around, and found the OpenALwEAX.exe file at a couple of places, downloaded it, went to install it, and FS_Open still won't run. It says

Code: [Select]
Error: Pharnec-wep.tbm(line 55:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [$End]
in weapon: Pharnec.

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------

after a black screen when I go to open FS_Open 3.6.9. Are there any solutions to this? My system specs:

Web Browser: Firefox 2
Download Manager: Free Download Manager
FS_Open Version: 3.6.9
Firewall: Standard Windows Firewall

Any other information can be posted at your request. I'd really appreciate some help!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: OpenAL installation problems
You have 'rogue' tbm file somewhere. Probably from some mod. Make sure you arent running any mods.

Make sure you arent running any mods. And never ever place any mod into the main FreeSpace 2 data directory. Create mod directories and use launchers 'mod' tab to use them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline gman19

Okay...here's what I've got in my FS2 folders:

FreeSpace2\

Data
Installer
Mods
Sync
Temp

AF Kato.vp
BASTION.MVE
COLOSSUS.MVE
ENDPART1.MVE
ENDPRT2A.MVE
ENDPRT2B.MVE
errorlog.txt
FRED2.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe
FreeSpace2.exe [Original Launcher]
FS2.exe [Original Game .EXE]
FS2_Open-3.6.9.dmg
fs2_open_3_6_9.exe
fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe
Homesick.vp
INTRO.MVE
ITDoH Chapter 1.vp
Launcher.exe [FSOpen Launcher]
launcher6.cfg
MONO1.MVE
MONO2.MVE
MONO3.MVE
MONO4.MVE
patchw32.dll
RevertToRetail.exe
Root_fs2.vp
smarty_fs2.vp
sparky_fs2.vp
sparky_hi_fs2.vp
stu_fs2.vp
tango1_fs2.vp
tango2_fs2.vp
tango3_fs2.vp
UpdateFreeSpaceOpen.exe
UpdateLauncher.exe
warble_fs2.vp

FreeSpace2\Data

Missions
Players

cmdline_fso.cfg
fs2open_pxo.cfg
multi.txt
Tcp.cfg

FreeSpace2\Data\Missions

Backup.001
Backup.002
Backup.003
Backup.004
Backup.005
Backup.006
Backup.007
Backup.008
Backup.009

FreeSpace2\Data\Players

Multi
Single

FreeSpace2\Data\Players\Multi

gman19.plr

FreeSpace2\Data\Players\Single

gman19.FreeSpace2 [CSS Document]
gman19.FreeSpace2.csg
gman19.plr

Is there anything wrong with those? I have a list of files in the \installer, \mods, \sync, and \Temp folders if needed. I searched for *.tbm files, but no return. Any help?

EDIT: I'm still getting that error message, what else could be causing it?

EDIT 2: I tried running fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe; here's the error message for that:

Code: [Select]
Error: Pharnec-wep.tbm(line 55:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [$End]
in weapon: Pharnec.

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
    required_string_either()    parse_weaponstbl()    parse_modular_table()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Which was followed by a "FreeSpace2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" message.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:12:11 pm by gman19 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
AF Kato.vp, Homesick.vp and ITDoH Chapter 1.vp are all likely culprits for your problem. All 3 are mods and therefore shouldn't be in main your FS2 folder.

The reason why you couldn't find the rogue .tbm file is because it could be inside one of the .vp files. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline gman19

Yay! It works now! Thank you! Now, how do I get online with FSOpen? Or is it built in?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:54:50 pm by gman19 »

Offline gman19

EDIT:

Grr... It doesn't work now! Everything is perfectly fine until I get into the mission; the first time someone fires off a beam weapon, the FPS drops below a dead man's heart rate, then locks up my computer and crashes. I've done a full reboot now, and this isn't the first time it's locked up during a capital fight; I used to have FSOpen, then deleted it because it crashed my computer 5 times in a row back then. Help?

Offline Objekt

You aren't the only one having OpenAL issues.

The last version of the Source Code Project I had that worked was Version 3.6.7.  Unfortunately, quite a lot of thought & reading was required to figure out what files I needed, make sure they were in the right places, etc. to get it working. 

When I tried the recently-produced SCP 3.6.9 "uber-installer," which takes care of all that stuff automatically, I too ran into problems with OpenAL, which problems I didn't have back at the 3.6.7 version.  See my thread called "Launcher crashes every time (SCP 3.6.9)" on this forum.

I can get 3.6.9 to run using the old (ver. 5.3) Launcher, but I don't have any sound, since OpenAL 1.1 won't install.  Bah!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
gman, try removing mv_adveffects.vp from your mediavps folder and see if that fixes it. (Just move it out of your FS2 folder completely. Don't delete it yet).

Offline gman19

Okay...I can't find ANY mediavps in my FreeSpace folders. Could that be the problem? Also, where do I download them?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
A lack of a mediavps folder would not cause this issue as they are completely optional.

What graphics card do you have in your PC?

Offline gman19

Hmm...let's see...System Information says I have a VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP version 6.14.10.0243-16.94.44.23 installed on my PC. It's a stock machine, I know that; nothing has been upgraded that I know of (I'm 13, so my parents handle most of the upgrading and stuff)

That help?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Not entirely sure this applies, but...
Umm, take a looky here (link to a link, I know ::) ), see if this fixes it:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45515.msg927286.html#msg927286

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmm...let's see...System Information says I have a VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP version 6.14.10.0243-16.94.44.23 installed on my PC. It's a stock machine, I know that; nothing has been upgraded that I know of (I'm 13, so my parents handle most of the upgrading and stuff)

That help?

Unfortunately yes. That card doesn't have HTL if I remember correctly which means that it's not good enough to run FS2_Open. You can of course run FS2 retail and any mods that run on retail still.

Offline gman19

Aww. Is there anything in FS2_Open that I'll miss in the retail version? As in, will the retail version let me do internet multiplayer? Or is it stuck with the PXO server and can't access the newer ones? If that's all, then I won't miss Open that much.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
PXO is dead (although it will rise from its grave some time in the not too distant future) so the only way to play online with retail is via an IP game.

As for what you'll miss it's hard to say. Open looks a hell of a lot nicer than retail. There are a whole bunch of campaigns that won't work unless you have Open too. You won't be able to play the Babylon 5 or Wing Commander total conversions* (which are out) or the Battlestar Galactica and Starfox ones (which soon will have demos out).

*There is actually a much older version of the B5 mod which would work for you.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Go to eBay, look under "Computers and Networking", then under "Desktop and Laptop Components", under "Video Cards for Desktop PC", select "Buy It Now" (don't worry; you won't buy anything, it just means to show only items that you can buy, instead of bid on.)  Sort the list by "Price - lowest first" from the drop-down box on the top right.
Here, you can find some cheap cards, such as
"NEW GeFORCE FX5700 LE 128MB TVOUT W/DVI AGP NVIDIA CARD" for about $45.00 after shipping.  Find one that is pretty good, for a price you think your parents might go for, and that your computer supports.  Also, make sure that the seller rating is good (I'd say 98% or above, with more than 500 ratings.)  If you are not sure if your computer will take the card, or not sure if it's a good card, ask - one of us will probably respond.  To find out what kind of computer you have, get CPU-Z and run that, it will tell you - you want to see if your motherboard supports AGP, and if so, what version.  You can tell this by looking up the specs of your computer's motherboard on its manufacturer's website, using the model number.
Of course, your parents might not want to upgrade the computer... but I suppose it's worth a shot.  What do you think?

Offline gman19

See, we've got a privately-owned computer store here in our town; they do 2GB RAM upgrades for around $50, including both the memory sticks and the cost of labor. Last time we were over there, they had some nice graphics cards running around the same price, but most were between $20-$40 BRAND NEW. I'm not kidding; they get everything from surplus at major retailers. I've seen a few things over there that have price tags still on them from places that have gone out of business. It's owned by this family that lives right out back; their house is right behind the store. They're really nice people, and everything we've got from there is top-of-the-line and works perfectly. We had our '95 computer upgraded with RAM, a new hard drive, a new disc drive, and a new processor over there, but we finally got this HP Pavilion a coupl'a years ago. The motherboard fried on us, and they had it fixed within about 2 days; this is after they ordered the new motherboard, called us to bring the PC over, and installed it.

So, I'm thinking I'll just get a new card over there; it's probably a lot more reliable than eBay, and most likely cheaper. Plus, my parents aren't fans of identity theft :D

(This is kind of ironic; the eBay retail store or whatever is in the same shopping plaza as this computer store I was talking about. XD)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...Well, that works, of course...  :)