Author Topic: Some Questions and thoughts  (Read 7463 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Some Questions and thoughts
Well, the way we handle missiles (and WC did that too) is quite different to freespace escpecially. In real life one missile kills another plane, but you can also only carry a handful, so it takes a strategy to save the missiles for the right target. Same does WC Gameplay.

I think especially people used to the freespace system can become a little depressed when first playing wing commander, but it's just a matter of experience, and then you can dodge every missile quite easily. But for gameplay it's much more better than having a fighter with 64 missiles and the "reload as often as you want" option. It's adds a complete new element into the fightsystem.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
There were fighters with 64 Missiles???
....what did they use their guns for?

I never played FS2, so I don't know...  was this a joke or were you serious?
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

Nope. That's the reason for the missile happy behaviour of the AI. Sometimes you carried 300 dumbfires :) Tallyho!
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Wow !  - 300 missiles ?  - I really wish I played Freespace before as I would probably understand more of the programming stuff you guys have to deal with in Saga (which is based on Freespace in some ways, apparently) - was Freespace a fun game ?  What was the point / story / plot ? - etc. ?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Wow !  - 300 missiles ?  - I really wish I played Freespace before as I would probably understand more of the programming stuff you guys have to deal with in Saga (which is based on Freespace in some ways, apparently) - was Freespace a fun game ?  What was the point / story / plot ? - etc. ?

FreeSpace was an excellent game. Easily as good as any WC game (Except for perhaps Saga!)

More info on FreeSpace here.

You can also get the game here.

EDIT: Oh, and you think 300 missiles is a lot? Take a look at this:

This is an average mission. I'd have more missiles, but I ran out of missiles to put in my ship before I ran out of room for them, and I was too lazy to bump the number in the mission file.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:10:56 am by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
speaking of Freespace: you can download it for free. Just follow the link in Turey's sig :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

FreeSpace was an excellent game.

No one said different :) In Fact, FS is (after WC) the best space game ever. While FS1 was very good for it's rather dark story with the unknown enemy, FS 2 simply rocked with those extrem cool beam canons, that's something no game had before this (and I always liked that sort of energy weapons after I saw them in the B5 show). I could sit down and watch the whole day seeing ships ripping others apart with beam canon, not to mention the fear "God, I hope this beam isn't activating right behind me" :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Note that those are dumbfire missiles. You had a more sensible number of other types. Admittedly it was still a much higher number than WCS but each missile does less damage.

As for whether FS is good, I've only played the first and last WC games and I found FS2 to be better. Admittedly most people tend to see WC3/WC4 as the highpoint of the series.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Admittedly most people tend to see WC3/WC4 as the highpoint of the series.

you will have a chance to find it out... in less than 7 days I'd say :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
heh... i still harbor deep hatred towards WC3... never managed to play it thanks to the loading times that reminded more of classic C-64 tape recorded games rather than anything from diskette era.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Technically the WC games ingame stuff where not the reason why everyone think it's so great. But what makes those game this good is the story and the character implementation, which always drawn the player very deep into the universe, even if he had to play Blair or Casey, or in our case Sandman.

And of course the FMV's with real characters and the interactive mode they gave to the game where something that make them great in the first place, like playing an interactive movie.

@Wanderer : You should try to get your hand on Kilrathi Saga. On modern Systems the loading times are around two seconds (max). Hah, I remember playing WC3 on my old machine and had to wait nearly a minute until the mission was loaded, but it was still great :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I actually have the Kilrathi Saga CDs. But they never worked for me and I've not had the time to fix the problem recently. I'll go back to it sooner or later. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, that's certainly something the CIC is good for. There should be plenty of information or bugfixes available. It's certainly an issue different to each user, I could start KS without any problems, all three games :) Only thing that disturb me where the english language. Usually german localisations are aweful, but in case of  WC3  I prefer my "original version". Rachels voice is much softer and better to understand :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Nope. That's the reason for the missile happy behaviour of the AI. Sometimes you carried 300 dumbfires :) Tallyho!

Well I couldn't imagine the Kilrathi being anything less than missile happy :)

Only thing that disturb me where the english language. Usually german localisations are aweful, but in case of  WC3  I prefer my "original version". Rachels voice is much softer and better to understand :)

Yeah, EA (Origin?) really outdid themselves with the German dub. At least I think they did, it's been a decade since I've heard anything from WC3 in German, perhaps it's just nostalgia  :)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I can confirm it - WC3 dub was one of the best I've ever heard of, WC4 wasn't that good. Still, I prefer English versions. Wing Commander was THE GAME to teach me English :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

So......you guys are German ? (mostly)  ?    - interesting.   German's a tough language to learn, from what I've heard.   You have many words that need deep-throat-type-sounds to make and we don't usually go that deep with most English words.  You all speak (type) good English here though - so you obviously learned well   :-)