Author Topic: ProxDox  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/ProXimus/prox_home.html

I have documented ProXimus, it's in my sig, please look it over and tell me what you think. I'll be emailing this to some of my professors so please tell me if there is a better way of saying something or glaring spelling mistakes.
I'll add some tutorials later.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Very interesting. I don't make any effects myself, but it looks like a useful program, all you need is a basic knowledge of trig. However, there are a lot of capitalization mistakes... you're supposed to capitalize the first word in every sentence, which you didn't do very often. I wouldn't care, but a proffessor probably would. Otherwise, the writing is good.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Read it right through, and there are too many spelling mistakes to point out, but I don't really care - that's excellent stuff. :D

My one suggestion would be to give a few more examples and describe what's happening in them for the summations section. That's the only part that didn't quite make sense to me.
(Perhaps some full scale examples of how to do effects would be good too? Ie, kinda a walkthrough for a couple of basic effects to set people off in the right direction.)

All very helpful though - thanks. :)

Oh, and is the prox download there in any way updated from the last one?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Water

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/ProXimus/prox_home.html

I have documented ProXimus, it's in my sig, please look it over and tell me what you think. I'll be emailing this to some of my professors so please tell me if there is a better way of saying something or glaring spelling mistakes.
I'll add some tutorials later.

There is a lot that can be done to improve it before you email the documentation. How much time before then?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well I ment to send it out like a week ago, and I can update it after I send it.

and the download is a different file but it should be a copy of the latest, I did update the latest not too long ago with some minor UI tweaks.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Topgun

When you said,
"After years of spending my time using different gradients in paintshop pro and photoshop to get the basic effect into form when I knew exactly what I wanted in a mathematical since." I think you meant sense.
 and, when I try to run it I get this message:
---------------------------
proXimus.exe - Unable To Locate DLL
The dynamic link library MSVCP80.dll could not be found in the specified path C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\proXimus;.;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT\system;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\On Center Software\Server;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier";c:\vslick\win;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;c:\program files\devstudio\sharedide\bin\ide;c:\program files\devstudio\sharedide\bin;c:\program files\devstudio\vc\bin;c:\msdev\bin.
OK   

I went and dled that dll, and it gave me a similar message but w/ another dll.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 09:26:01 am by Topgun »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Maybe I'm misreading this, but MSVCP80 would mean MS Visual C+ 8, right?  So you'd need to d'l the MS Visual C+ runtimes.  If that sounds totally wacked and wrong, it's because I'm just guessing based on the file name and my experiences with programs that need MS Visual Basic runtimes.

EDIT: Apparently it's actually Visual C++.  Try the runtimes  here.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C_Plus_Plus
Visual C++ 2005 (known also as Visual C++ 8.0), which includes MFC 8.0, was released in November 2005. This version also introduced support for the C++/CLI language and OpenMP. It is currently the latest release.[/url]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:56:22 am by jr2 »

Offline Topgun

Maybe, but I think it my be do to the fact I am running it on win2000? I will have to try it on winxp to make sure.
I should already have the runtimes since I have visual studio.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you are running Win2K, I bet that unless you have kept it up-to-date, it doesn't have those runtimes... they are 2005 edition, after all.  If you have 2K SP3 or higher, go ahead and use the link I posted.  Then it should work, I think.  Or just use XP... but then again, those files were released in 2005.  SP2 was released in August 2004.  Unless you got an update, IDK if it'll run because the MS Visual C++ 2005 (8.0) files won't be found.

EDIT:
I should already have the runtimes since I have visual studio.

Which year / version number?

Offline Topgun

I tried it on winxp and it works fine!
great work Bob! :yes: I can't wait to learn this.

@Jr2: Visual studio 6.0

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
how's the PCS2 UI coming along :P
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3