Author Topic: Wiki page request: How to install a mod  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wiki page request: How to install a mod
This needs to go on the wiki.  It's already on karajorma's FAQ, but it's in outdated/incomplete form, and in any case it should be on the wiki anyway.  Since there are so many energetic people helping out, I thought I'd give them a new challenge. :)

There should be enough pages or enough sections to describe every facet of mod installation, so this might need to be a portal instead of a single site.  And I mean every.  I want it to describe how to install a mod on retail FS2, with the directory structure and the VP management and all the pitfalls that players need to be aware of.  And I also want it to describe how to install a mod on FSO, using the -mod command line, whether or not the mod came with a mod.ini file.

Anyone interested? :)

Offline Shade

Re: Wiki page request: How to install a mod
It does need to be there, yeah. I might take a look at it next weekend if noone has done anything about it before then. This weekend I'll be too busy to start on something big like this, plus honestly I'm a little bit burned out on wiki editing just now :p

[Edit] That doesn't preclude me from thinking about it though. I think doing this will require a little rethinking the way mods are organized in the wiki, since if we just tag another couple of mod related links onto the main page, it'll get confusing. Right now, we have this layout of the mod(ding) information:

Modding FreeSpace
   Modding Portal
   Mod Database
      Campaigns
      Ships
      Music
   FRED
   User-made Campaigns
   Total Conversions

Now, of those, the mod database needs a lot of help. It has a nice list of ships, but only lists one campaign. The user-made campaigns and TCs would seem to belong in the mod database, though, and would flesh it out nicely so it actually becomes what it claims to be. That would also eliminate some of the confusion of where on the main page you actually need to go to get information on mods. So I'd roll those into the mod database, and then add the mod installation page/portal to the main page in their place, so we end up with something like this:

Making Mods
   Modding Portal (left as is, it's fine as a reference)
   FRED Portal (same)
Mod Information
   Mod Database (expanded to include all mods, both campaigns, TCs and stand-alone mods)
      Total Conversions
      Campaigns
      Stand-alone Missions
      Stand-alone mods
         Ships
         Interface
         Music
   Installing Mods (possibly a portal)
      Retail Freespace 2
      Freespace Open
         Using Multiple Mods
      Directory Structure Reference

That would order it with info on making mods in one category, and information on using mods in another, instead of the current jumbled mess. You'd also have one link for information on existing/in-progress mods instead of three that tend to overlap. So... thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:48:59 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Lazy question incoming.

I can do some of this, but we should also look at what exists already in the wiki, because some stuff is just spread out.

Since I'm a lazy indecisive git, can someone tell me "write this" and I'll get on to it?

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Write this!

:D
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.