Author Topic: FreeSpace2 desktop image  (Read 2834 times)

FreeSpace2 desktop image
While I took a break from testing the Teeth of the Tiger Demo, I made this desktop image that I felt I could share with you all.

Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FreeSpace2 desktop image
Nice shot. Maybe make the text smaller and put it one of the corners? A variant option.

Offline eliex

I concur with the previous post about the text.
Nice image though.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I do the same thing with some shots I ocationally take :D

It looks nice, so bad it's not an htl model but the normal maps make it look really cool.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Funny how the low-poly Thoth is one of the most frequently featured ships in beauty shots. Shine/glow/normal/environment mapping really brings it out, eh?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Yeah. With the Tauret as well. These hardly need to be HTLed.

And, nice one, jadehawk :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
doesn't the engine glow looks a little big for the fighter?
el hombre vicio...

Thanks everyone :) Yes I can make the text smaller and will do so. I agree the textures really make a difference for the Thoth. This is actually the Mk. II version which is a refurbished and updated Thoth used mostly for second line and even some first line Battle Groups. Coupled with my Kayser II and some updated missiles (which will remain unknown for the time being) I'm working on, it's got a breath of fresh air into it now. :)

I'd love if a modeler would update this by adding new details, slightly longer and tie the ends of the engine pod to the back of the main body 0on just the outer areas. The way it's currently setup I see the stress on the outer engines would be too much on the central connection point. But that's just my opinion ;)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I'd love if a modeler would update this by adding new details, slightly longer and tie the ends of the engine pod to the back of the main body 0on just the outer areas. The way it's currently setup I see the stress on the outer engines would be too much on the central connection point. But that's just my opinion ;)

you mean the glow intersecting with the hull of the ship and going right through it?

IIRC there was an old build that fixed this issue (or something like it) but it died there.. I changed it because it presented some other issues and that's when I lost track of it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

you mean the glow intersecting with the hull of the ship and going right through it?

IIRC there was an old build that fixed this issue (or something like it) but it died there.. I changed it because it presented some other issues and that's when I lost track of it.

That issue can be fixed? Man, it'd look great if it was.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
No, he means the way that the Thoth's engine array is attached by a kind of flimsy-looking support to the body of the ship.  It did always look like it could easily manage to rip itself off during a dogfight. :p

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
oh I see..

and about the engine glow thing..well I was searching in the code section and I didn't find the thread so we could just assume that it was something I dreamed.
el hombre vicio...

Mongoose hit it on the nail! I too felt it could break off with such a huge stress on it's attach point when you lit the burners!

I'd almost give my left nut for anyone to make a new high poly model of this Thoth  :D

Screen shot update will come soon.