Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: What are you reading right now?
Moby Dick (Abridged) - Herman Melville
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya just came out in English, so I think that'll be the next one on my list. Haven't really been reading for fun much, what with two big research papers due in May. But the Haruhi series are light novels, so they should be quick reads. Handy for my situation. :)

I wonder how long it'll take 'em to translate the rest?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya just came out in English, so I think that'll be the next one on my list. Haven't really been reading for fun much, what with two big research papers due in May. But the Haruhi series are light novels, so they should be quick reads. Handy for my situation. :)

I wonder how long it'll take 'em to translate the rest?

They're done : http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi

That's where I read it all.

On another note, I'm reading Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift (well, more of put on hold for now after finishing the first part).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:23:51 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Not so much reading as listening to World War Z by Max Brooks a documentary interviewing people after the end of the Zombie War.  Infantryman Todd Wayneo's testimonial of The Battle of Yonkers was excellent.  Quiet frankly the entire thing is excellent, pretty much the best description of such an scenario packed with social commentary.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I'm reading George R R Martin's A Feast for Crows at the moment. The first two thirds of the book appear to be nothing but throat-clearing, which is disappointing after A Storm of Swords. I'm also working through his Dreamsongs short story collection, which makes for some interesting counterpoints to the wandering uneventfulness of A Feast for Crows.

I read Adam Roberts' Stone recently as well, which was the last novel of his I hadn't read. Not my favourite of his, but his concepts are as always wonderfully strange.

They're done : http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi

That's where I read it all.

Yeah, I've read baka-tsuki's translations, but this is the official translation, so I'm curious as to how it may differ.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"