Author Topic: Correct way of specifying rotating subsystems and turrets in PCS2?  (Read 1128 times)

Correct way of specifying rotating subsystems and turrets in PCS2?
This Mantis issue made me think...

http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1946

What IS the correct way of specifying a rotating subsystem or a turret?
What exactly do the PCS2 fields Movement-Type and Axis mean and what does the $rotate= property exactly?
Do turrets e.g. need the Rotate Movement type or should that not be set for them at all?
What about subsystems that should steadily rotate. How should those be set?

Maybe someone should extend the modeling part of the wiki a bit. There's precious little information other than recommended poly count.

Thanks.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Correct way of specifying rotating subsystems and turrets in PCS2?
I agree.  About the only thing I've been able to figure out is rotate= is apparently the same as specifying a rotation time in the tables. 

Quite a bit of PCS2 needs some docs and examples.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
From fs open code.... The code handles the turret rotation change (from normal rotation to turret rotation) internally as long as subsystems name contains a string "turret", "gun" or "cannon". But as the 'special turret rotation' movement_type is not used it should be ok to leave the turrets without any rotation movement type.

But i leave it for PCS2 proficient people to tell how to do that as i havent really used it that much.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Some good clarification on this subject would be helpful for FotG, I was just fighting with the mentioned bug the other day on one of Galemp's satellites from the weapons pack.  Also, jacek is trying to convert his first turreted capital ship and it has off-axis mounted turrets.  Some refreshers on how these are done now would be very helpful.  I think there's enough docs on classic turrets but it would be good to have it all in one place if possible.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays