Author Topic: NO Dead Space 2 for PC owners!  (Read 1854 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
NO Dead Space 2 for PC owners!
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=234319&site=cvg I can't believe that EA are doing this! I loved the first one, alright the controls were abit akward without a 360 controller, but it was one of the best horror games on the PC! Means i am going to have to buy a 360 or PS3 just to find what happens to isaac! Very angry.  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Re: NO Dead Space 2 for PC owners!
I don't blame them, to be honest. It's a reaction to terrible sales. The figures I last heard were 36,000 domestic. Even not counting Steam and worldwide sales, that's pretty shocking.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Didn't Dead Space consist of moving from dark corridor to dark corridor with things jumping in your face? [/never played it]

Because that's not horror.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Dead Space was remarkably tactful, actually. Jump scares were used sparingly. The game put a lot of effort into building its atmosphere, and it was quite good at it.

It's not a scary game, mind you, but the mood is always there.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
That is uter **** y do dev/publishers do this? Reminds me me blizzard and starcraft ghost
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because Developers need to make money. Judging by their experience with Dead Space 1, a PC version would be a hard sell to the shareholders. So, they go for the version that they will know they can sell.

Never, ever succumb to the illusion that EA makes games for fans. They make games that they can sell, which is a subtle, yet important distinction.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Reminds me of Undying, it got outstanding reviews by almost everyone and for some reason it hardly sold on the PC so no sequel which was a shame. From what i have heard the reason why Dead Space 1 didn't do that well was that the controls weren't addressed properly and you really needed an 360 controller. Because dead space 1 got fantastic reviews for the PC from what i remember.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Can't really blame them. There just isn't a good reason to target the PC market if you don't have mods, dedicated servers, or niche gameplay (or RTS/topdown RPG style). There's still time for them to add in a PC SKU I guess but I don't think it'll ever be a priority. Hell, Dead Space the first felt like a port. A well done port for the most part, but still a port.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Never, ever succumb to the illusion that EA makes games for fans. They make games that they can sell, which is a subtle, yet important distinction.
Everyone does, really, which is why there isn't a FS3 floating around out there right now.  The gaming industry is a business over anything else, and no one's going to throw money at a project that won't turn any profit.  The only through-and-through "for fans" games out there are freeware projects.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
Didn't Dead Space consist of moving from dark corridor to dark corridor with things jumping in your face? [/never played it]

Because that's not horror.

I can tell you didn't play it, you still have your pants dry :P

No seriously this was one of the best games I've ever played, very inmersive and addictive.

Didn't know this was actually gonna happen, so I have to say I fell frustrated, crap on them, a hol' lot of crap on them.
el hombre vicio...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The reason Dead Space didn't sell for PC is because they wanted to charge $50 for an obvious console port with no replay value or multiplayer.  Surprise!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Correction:  An obvious port with no replay or multiplayer, and serious bugs in the mouse controls.

Offline Mikes

The reason Dead Space didn't sell for PC is because they wanted to charge $50 for an obvious console port with no replay value or multiplayer.  Surprise!

My guess would be that Securom had an even bigger impact, with all the Securom hate that can be observed on Amazon and similar sites with review options.

Replay value is overrated imho. As long as a game (generally speaking) offers a satisfying story and/or a memorable/unique experience that is already worth 50$ imho, even if its "just" a console port.
(Course, there aren't that many games with truly good stories and/or gameplay experiences, but that's a different matter ;) ).

On the other hand, they still sell (new) 90 minute movies for ~ 20-30 bucks as well ... and  they do sell - even mediocre and outright horrible ones (lol) ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:42:58 pm by Mikes »