Author Topic: Computer hardware woes  (Read 1246 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Computer hardware woes
So, I've been troubleshooting an FSO bug in this thread. Which now seems to be caused by a deeper hardware problem. I've quoted my last post here:

So, I tried running another game (Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl) and it crashed in much the same way that FSO did. Which leads me to believe this is a general hardware problem and not an FSO problem. I swapped out my video card for an older card. FSO still crashes, but does not lock up the whole computer, it's just an immediate CTD. Here's the log just for kicks: http://pastebin.org/430901

Now Stalker can get to the menu screen, but when I try to load a game (ie get to the actual 3d rendering part) it crashes to a black screen and locks up the computer.

I'm kind of at a loss now. If I had to guess, I'd say this indicates a motherboard problem.

So yeah, any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated. First card was an HD 4890 and the backup is an X1900XT if it matters.

EDIT: Something strange just now. Trying to run a benchmark on the X1900 using ATI Tray Tools to see if that would crash everything. Benchmark fails to run saying "No support for GLSL found. Reinstall drivers, etc." The latest official drivers for the X1900 seemed kind of shady, so I'll try this with the 4890 tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:27:38 am by redsniper »
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: Computer hardware woes
Nm, I got it.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
[01:00] <redsniper> I fixed it :D
[01:00] <sigtau> gj redsniper
[01:00] <sigtau> what'd you do
[01:00] <redsniper> safe mode
[01:01] <redsniper> uninstalled drivers in safe mode and ran driver sweeper
[01:01] <sigtau> :O!
[01:01] <redsniper> then, again in safe mode, started the catalyst installer, but didn't actually use it to install just let it extract
[01:01] <redsniper> then pointed the windows driver update thing at the .inf
[01:02] <redsniper> so yeah, makes me wonder wtf broke it in the first place

* redsniper shrugs

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Perhaps driver corruption caused it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Oh yeah, I'm quite sure it was corrupted drivers. The weird thing was it happened regardless of which card I used or which version of the drivers. I had a couple BSODs right after the installer finished installing, so I guess it was ATI's installer somehow screwing things up.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
It's not so wierd since both cards use the same drivers. Catalyst is supposed to be standard across all ATI cards.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key