Author Topic: Directing Asteroids Positions?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline FIZ

Directing Asteroids Positions?
Hey FREDders, I've been working on a campaign and it involves... well without spilling too many secrets asteroids that need to be moved.  I've searched and searched and tried everything I can think of.  I had I hopes for set-object-speed, but that just doesn't work.  Since this is my first campaign I'm hoping to avoid modding and sticking to canon resources, the only solution that comes to mind is replacing a ship I'm not using with an asteroid skin.

I'm aware of the asteroid field option, but I want one rock to go to one very specific place (the side of a leviathan to be specific  ;7) so I was curious if their were any basic FRED2 steps I'm missing.

Right now I'm using set-object-position, but because that works in 1 second intervals it looks very blocky and amateur.

My only other idea is warping the rock right onto the ship but IMO it loses that OMGWTF factor.

~FIZ

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Directing Asteroids Positions?
Asteroid with actual collision detection (retail model has none), untargetable engine subsystem and "kamikaze" attack orders in FRED would do the trick.
Easy to do with just modular tables.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
Yeah, I'm not sure this is (easily) possible without some modding. Dragon's solution is what I would recommend: I remember this being done in some campaign or another. I'll see if I can find it.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline FIZ

OK.  Quick question, would the mod table adjustment make it act like a heat seeking missile towards it's target?  Not a big problem if it is, I could just have it head straight for a waypoint where I want the collision to occur and use 'blow stuff up SEXPs.'

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
Okay, I found where I've seen this before, it's done in the Eagle Takes Flight campaign (I ripped this code straight from the -shp.tbm file of that campaign):

Code: [Select]
;meteor with wrong ship type.  sexps using cruisers are not valid with
;this ship in the mission.  May affect ai.  This is a booby trapped asteroid,
;it has a propulsion system and can be used like a ship.  it has no weapons,
;but you can ram things with it.

$Name: Asteroid#meteor
$Short name: meteor
$Species: Terran
$POF file: asteroid01.pof
$Detail distance: (0, 100)
$Show damage: NO
$Density: 1
$Damp: 0.0001
$Rotdamp: 0.0001
$Max Velocity: 0.0, 0.0, 80.0
$Rotation time: 0.0001, 0.0001, 0.001
$Rear Velocity: 0.0
$Forward accel: 1.0
$Forward decel: 1.0
$Slide accel: 0.0
$Slide decel: 0.0
$Expl inner rad: 50.0
$Expl outer rad: 500.0
$Expl damage: 100.0
$Expl blast: 20.0
$Expl Propagates: NO ;; If set to Yes, then when the ship dies, the explosion propagates through it.
$Shockwave Speed: 500.0 ;; speed shockwave expands at, 0 means no shockwave
$Default PBanks: ()
$Default SBanks: ()
$SBank Capacity: ()
$Shields: 0
$Power Output: 1.0
$Max Oclk Speed: 80
$Max Weapon Eng: 0.0
$Hitpoints: 1000
$Flags: ( "cruiser" )
$AI Class: NONE
$Afterburner: NO
$Countermeasures: 0
$Scan time: 4500
$EngineSnd:       -1 ;; Engine sound of ship
$Closeup_pos: 0.0, 1.0, -250
$Closeup_zoom: 0.5

Put that text into a notepad file, save it as yourmodname-shp.tbm (replace yourmodname with whatever your campaign is called), and put it under data/tables in your mod's folder (I assume you've got a mod.ini set up. If not, do that first). Run FRED with your mod and you should be able to ctrl-click the rock just like any other ship. Set it as a kamikaze ship, and you've got your ramming rock! If you encounter any problems post here. Either I or someone else will no doubt help you out.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline FIZ

Thanks!  I'll let you know how it turns out!

Offline FIZ

K, gave it a test run.  I need to learn more about mod.ini's so my questions are more... poignant. 

It's getting late here though and I've been Fredding for about 10 hours.  Directives have just about got me to pull my hair out, but I'm happy with my progress so far.  I look forward to sharing it with you guys soon, choppy space-time-continuum defying asteroids or not :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Directives are easy: simply set the conditions for the directive to be complete in the event (is-destroyed-delay Battuta), then type the directive text into the appropriate box. To get it to pop up only when you want, chain it to a trigger event (has-arrived-delay Battuta).

Offline FIZ

Yeah, I get it for the most part, I keep wanting to tie it to 'Mission Objective' events.

It was 3 cargo containers I wanted scanned, had it working, then messed around with something else and buggered it up.   :shaking:

Sleep will help.  Just gotta deal with a temp agency tomorrow  :hopping: