Author Topic: Feature Request: Enhance Physics for Large Vessels  (Read 1798 times)

Offline qzmufu

Feature Request: Enhance Physics for Large Vessels
Hi,

I just played Wing Commander Saga - I hope to be in the right forum here - and I would like to suggest giving the motion algorithm another glance. So far, when changing directions, ships seem to turn around a point located somewhere at the centre of the ship. On large vessels, this looks somewhat odd, as, intuitively, a spaceship with its engines located at the rear would rather turn - well, its hard to describe - with its thrust working against the inerta of its moving mass.

Regards

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Feature Request: Enhance Physics for Large Vessels
But how does the capital ship turn in the first place?  What's the thruster placement for course adjustment?  They don't generally have thrust vectoring nozzles for their main engines, as far as I can tell.  However, moving the ship's center to the location that would achieve the right effect might help this.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
IIRC, ships turn around the 0,0,0 coordinate of the .pof file, and some FS ships are not centered just to take what you're talking about into account.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline qzmufu

Yeah, I noticed the non-centered fulcrum on some ships, but the reason why I didn't suggest putting it to the front is that ships in space don't really turn around fixed points. Rather, an end of the ship is accelerated into a new direction, causing the ship to change its orientation.

Admittedly, I'm not sure about this - I'm not a physicist. Long story made short, the movements appear unreal, I think.

Offline qzmufu

It's probably a little bit like pushing a shopping-trolley. Just with less resistance. :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, yes, but there are several things to consider here.

1. FSO treats ships as objects moving on rail tracks.
2. In order to do "realistic" ship movements, we would need to know where the maneuvering thrusters on the ships' hull are placed, and how much force they can exert. Neither information is so far provided or read by the engine.
3. In order to do this correctly, we would need to switch the physics engine from the current implementation to a more textbook force vector model, which is a lot of work that none of us are really crazy about starting.
4. In addition to all of the above, the implementation (if this is ever implemented) needs to be optional or include an emulation mode for the current way of doing things, as our first rule for FSO states that no changes to the gameplay of FS2 are permissible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, there's that one guy that keeps sitting down to put Bullet into FSO, and then having a nervous breakdown, only to reappear after several months of hiding in a corner.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that if improved physics were to be implemented, data about manouvring thrusters could be provided via tables (maybe even using existing manouvering thruster system, modified to allow thrusters without graphical representation and defining maximum force they can exert).
It could also be made optional by using AI profiles.
It would certainly be welcome, but most likely very difficult to do.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you could just use the glow size as a weighting factor for how much thrust they use, this would require AI changes though.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Graphics should not affect gameplay, you may want a huge thruster for looks, but it may have to be weak for gameplay reasons.