Author Topic: 3D Shockwave problem  (Read 1112 times)

3D Shockwave problem
Hope this is in the right place... :nervous:

I downloaded Nighteye's 3d shockwaves from here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=72539.0

I followed the instructions, and now the shockwaves are showing up only part of the time. Cyclops torpedoes, for example, still have their original shockwave, but most ship explosions use the new shockwave. Is it because I have the BP2 mod activated?

For example, all of the Karuna frigates torpedoes still maintain their original explosions, not these new ones.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:18:49 am by Insomniac34 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: 3D Shockwave problem
Probably.  BP2 probably has its own version of the Cyclops torpedo shockwave and that's most likely overriding the 3D one you have.  Put the 3D shockwave in the BP2\data folder as well and I think that'll fix it, as long as the .vp for the shockwaves is higher in the alphabet than the BP2 vp... you could always rename the 3D shockwave .vp in the BP2 data folder to "1bp3dshockwave.vp"...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Probably.  BP2 probably has its own version of the Cyclops torpedo shockwave and that's most likely overriding the 3D one you have.  Put the 3D shockwave in the BP2\data folder as well and I think that'll fix it, as long as the .vp for the shockwaves is higher in the alphabet than the BP2 vp... you could always rename the 3D shockwave .vp in the BP2 data folder to "1bp3dshockwave.vp"...

agh no no no

Do not do the things in this post, they're a bit off and will probably cause you terrible problems.

1) As far as I remember most effects from BP2 were then moved to the 3.6.12 MVPs and thus should be shared, though I don't know if the Cyclops was one of these.

2) If the 3D shockwave files you downloaded are in VP format, they should NOT be placed in BP2\data\, they should be placed in BP2. VP files do not go in the data folder.

3) However, hopefully they are NOT in VP format, they are in a frame pack and an .eff file, in which case they need to go in BP2\data\effects.

4) jr2, no sane mod would ever distribute a single core effect as its own standalone VP like 'bp3dshockwave'. There is no such VP - does your BP2 folder for some reason include one?

All this aside, the best way to solve your problem is to open up the 3.6.12 weapons table, look for the shockwave effect used by the Cyclops, then open the BP and BP2 weapons tables, check for Cyclops entries, and see if they've altered these values.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, confirmed, they're distributed as a frame pack and an .eff. jr2, a VP is basically an archive container that holds a data folder and its various subfolders (in this case, 'effects'). When something is distributed as a VP, it goes in the mod's root folder (in this case, BP2); when distributed as loose files, they belong in BP2\data\[appropriate subfolder], whether models, maps, tables, effects, sounds...