Author Topic: EVE Online: Inferno  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Demitri

EVE Online: Inferno
I saw this on Steam. I've always had a notion of trying Eve but have been put off by its steep learning curve but apparently this one:
invites new players with a lower barrier to entry
Has anyone played this? Thoughts? Opinions?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: EVE Online: Inferno
do not play eve

do not play eve

do not play eve1

i was 'in' goonswarm, please trust me

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Eve, that spreadsheet game.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I did not have a bad experience with EVE. I had pretty much the best possible experience. I had a huge wiki with up-to-date instructions on all the optimal things to do to have the most fun, an enormous alliance, a dozen people ready to show me around and help me out in combat, instant access to unlimited free ships. In my first week of playing I was involved in a massive fleet battle with hundreds of ships.

It is not fun. It is not a fun game. You will not enjoy it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
EVE requires a certain sociopathy to enjoy actually playing that most people lack.

The sociopathy that it requires to enjoy watching is far less, but confusing the two costs you 14.95 a month.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Demitri

do not play eve

do not play eve

do not play eve1

So don't play Eve is it? I'm not quite sure what your message is here, what with all the equivocating and fence sitting. :P
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
My sarcasm detector seems to be on the fritz, please disregard.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:21:37 pm by Scotty »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
He's pretty clearly saying don't play Eve.  No fence sitting, just saying how he knows exactly what Eve is.

yes demitri is making a joke

Offline Demitri

yes demitri is making a joke
I was but it seems that it was poor attempt at one. :(
Anyhoo, thanks for the input folks. Seems like I might have saved myself a few quid thanks to your feedback.
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, you can always play the free trial for a bit, just so you can spend the rest of your life knowing you made the right decision.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
EVE eats your soul, i lost 5 years of life to it, no more.
I hate My signature!

Offline Mikes

do not play eve

do not play eve

do not play eve1

Seconded,... with emphasis.

Eve is what it is... it is not a "fun game".

Arguably it is not a game - depending on your definiton of "game".

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I did not have a bad experience with EVE. I had pretty much the best possible experience. I had a huge wiki with up-to-date instructions on all the optimal things to do to have the most fun, an enormous alliance, a dozen people ready to show me around and help me out in combat, instant access to unlimited free ships. In my first week of playing I was involved in a massive fleet battle with hundreds of ships.

It is not fun. It is not a fun game. You will not enjoy it.
Funny thing that, I had a completely opposite experience.  I spent 9 months feeling around and getting to know people, only to find out that one of them was actually an alt of a semi-notorious pirate and they had lured me out to be shot down.  Depsite the fact that I liked a lot of people there, when I tried Warcraft, I bailed on EVE like a white man getting out of Harlem after dark.  It's basically the complete opposite of the "Star Trek" ideal of everyone getting along and at least trying to talk before you gun them down.  Especially if you have tactical superiority.

Anyway, if you think it would be fun to pay money to be either the bully or the bullied(again depending on your personality), have at it, otherwise, STO has a similar style of play, spaceships wise anyway.

Let me edit this real fast by saying that the actual game part of EVE was fun.  It's the cutthroat backstabbing "if it's red, it's dead" mentality that puts me off mostly.  You'll either like it or you won't and you'll know within a couple months.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think in the case of Eve, someone mixed up the storyline and the design documents...

"The Future is a dark, soulless void with little hope for redemption, where numbers rule people's lives, and joy is a sign of weakness..."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Let me edit this real fast by saying that the actual game part of EVE was fun.  It's the cutthroat backstabbing "if it's red, it's dead" mentality that puts me off mostly.  You'll either like it or you won't and you'll know within a couple months.

this is actually the only fun part of eve

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The unique aspect of Eve is really the fact you are thrown into the Lions cage from day 1, which is pretty much unique for an MMO, they usually have options and/or areas regarding PvP.  This doesn't sit well with some people, who even with MMO's want some level of control of the difficulty as they have on most other games. I didn't get on with it too well, I'm not one of natures' PvPers, preferring to enjoy the ambience of my games, rather than keyboard-mashing action these days. Hence I've gone from Unreal and Quake to Minecraft and the Anno series.

Offline Patriot

Technically Flip, PvP isn't exactly a Free for All in every solar system, seeing as in high security systems CONCORD comes round and lays the hurt down on you.

Also, if you want to play EVE, do not do it through Steam, just download it from their website as the Steam functions aren't really good for performance, at least in the experience of two of my friends who play on laptops :/

I play as well and i still like it, after 4 years of playing on and off(however money allows me to play xD)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Technically Flip, PvP isn't exactly a Free for All in every solar system, seeing as in high security systems CONCORD comes round and lays the hurt down on you.

Ah, you're under the impression PvP is limited to direct engagement.

(It's not.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
I enjoy EVE. I'm in the Brick Squad alliance, a fairly well-off PvP group. We have stations, go on roams, kill people, etc. I've met cool people and stupid people. I love getting on, getting out, blowing stuff up and returning to base with a hold full of loot. It's all good fun.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Stompin' alwayz good funz, unless you da onez gettin' stomped! - Kaptin Bludflagg
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.