Author Topic: Pirate mini campaign  (Read 1831 times)

Pirate mini campaign
Hello together, new FREDer here with some questions I can’t answer all by myself and would appreciate some help from more experienced moders.

I had this idea to create a min campaign – since a large one would probably go over my head if I want to do it right at the moment – about pirate group in the FS universe, mostly in the Systems of Laramis and downward.

One of my first problems is that I want to go the ragtag bunch of misfits with a honor code route with the pirate group in the focus of the story, and while the Fury AI that I found on here makes a good job at making your team mates useful and lets your enemies look competent I don’t know how to improve the survival rate of my team mates (which are iconic characters and needed to stay alive in some missions for banter or certain actions ect.) without simply making them invulnerable and misbalancing the game and neither how to give my enemies the ability to safely depart when they are to banged up.
To explain, since I want one of the pirate groups codes to be about only killing if necessary I want most if not all enemy ships to depart before they get shot down, especially since some of the enemies are going to be private/civilian anti-piracy fighters and outright murdering them would be a huge nogo for the leader of the pirates(who is controlled by the player but has his own character) and would go against the tone of the campaign that I want.

So, is there a good way to increase the survivability of my crew, and is there a way to let enemy fighters safely retreat, even if one player decides to see if he can’t just blow them up?

Also is there a way to make a turret invulnerable (one of the ships I have, the  GTVFg Arpyia, has a much to big forward turret that gets always destroyed) and can one regulate the speed at which a bigger ship can enter the game through subspace, since in some cases were the battle is in a close quarter the ships can miss their mark or even ram into each other.

So far this are my FRED questions that should help me trough the missions if someone could help me with them.

On the other hand I am still searching for smaller user made ships that are capable of launching fighters, since putting destroyers in the hands of several pirate groups and civilian militias is obviously not an option.
so far I have

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTTCa_Hestia
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/TCa_Sagittarius
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/PVCa_Ramses
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTVFg_Arpyia
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCv_Diomedes (both old and new)
and possibly for missions with civilians the plain old
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTCVl_Splendid (if there is no better alternative)

I looked for some more but I can’t find anything useful, a cruiser sized Vasuden ship that can be used as a cruiser or big transporter with a fighter bay could still be helpful.
Also, is there a smaller version of the Arpyia? Giving a pirate group a mother ship bigger as a normal cruiser feels kinda strange, but it’s the only useful cruiser with a fighter bay that I found.
And since I want the mother ships of the different groups of pirates to be dangerous the Arpyia is my most likely choice for a mother ship at the moment. Even thought I am no totally sure which path I am going to take to let it fall in to pirate hands.

So far, so good, I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself but the FRED questions are something that would already greatly help me if somebody would answer them.

Last question: If I want to discuss some story related issues like setting or asking for opinions about the certain ideas (like, should pirates even be able to get their hands on corvette sized ships ect.) I am still right in this sub forum, or should I go somewhere else?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Pirate mini campaign
Ship-guardian-threshold at least gives the illusion that the fighter isn't invulnerable since it will take damage until it reaches a certain percentage.  You can also use guardian on the ships you want to depart and then set their departure cue so that they leave when their hull is below a certain point but above the guardian threshold.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You could also change the armour type on ships to make them take less damage.

You can also apply armour to turrets/subsystems to make them last longer. There's also the untargetable flag which can make it harder for the player to take out turrets. (I had a feeling there was some other way to make subsystems invulnerable, maybe have a look at The Antagonist, IIRC that had this sort of mechanic applied to the bosses)

You can change the subspace-entry speed per ship-class with $Warpin Speed:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Would the Canberra fit the bill as a light fighter carrier?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
You could increase turrets hitpoints in the table.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Nathan, do you have any Skype contact? I would like to answer all of your questions, any you might have, but in a more comfortable way for me.

That's possible?
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I had a feeling there was some other way to make subsystems invulnerable

ship-subsys-guardian-threshold - This SEXP allows you to make it so that the turret can take damage but not get destroyed same as with the ship version that Cyborg17 mentioned.

Last question: If I want to discuss some story related issues like setting or asking for opinions about the certain ideas (like, should pirates even be able to get their hands on corvette sized ships ect.) I am still right in this sub forum, or should I go somewhere else?

Doing it here isn't wrong but I suspect that making it a discussion on the General Freespace board will get you a more detailed analysis of the issue.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Sorry I wanted to reply sooner but there was always something in between.
First of all thanks to everyone for his help, I am really greatfull for the help.
Thanks to this thread http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89293.0 I found out about PCS2 and kitbashing, and even thought I only managed to get a dock an the cruiser in the linked toturial without it actually working (seems to me there are some extra stepps needed) I found the scale button and managed with some trial and error to shrink the GTVFg Arpyia down to nearly normal corvette (still a bit longer then the deimos beccause of the engine thought) but its much better to use now.
(Also, do I need to contact the creator of the model if I change something on it, even if it is only the scale?)

@Cyborg17, niffiwan, wardog300k
Thanks for the hints, I will try all of them if I can. Ship-guardian-threshold helped me already. Is there any other way to regulate the warpin speed without changing the entire Ships.tbl and do it with SEXP for example?

@Black Wolf
The Canberra is a good idea, if there was a way to add some more turrets I could use it later on in the same way as the GTTCa Hestia, maybe for a private security groupe.

@TheHound
That would be great and fine by me, would it be alright if I just try to contact you via skype over the contact in your profile?

@karajorma
Just tried it out and it works fine, just need to correct some errors on my part (got a team mate stuck directly between two undestroyable beam canons, forgot to also protect his engines, he got shot around a bit heh)

Tomorrow (or rather today, since it is after midnight) I am going to post a topic in the Freespace/Missions and Campaigns section then, thanks fo the help all.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Yes, go ahead and write to me anytime. Just mention that you're Nathan form HLP, and my avatar is anime  blue themed

If there is a download link, then grab it. AND, as long as you mention that the model is theirs in the credits, it should not be any issues with using/modyfing the models, really.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:07:17 pm by TheHound »
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--