Author Topic: Launcher 5.5g player retention problem?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Launcher 5.5g player retention problem?
Just wondering if the Launcher 5.5g should at least be updated to spit out a relevant error message on Win 8.x (and Win 10 if that is also incompatible).

So we don't have people who are used to playing FS on XP / Vista / 7 think that FS2 is incompatible with newer versions of Windows (you don't really know that they will come here to check if the problem is resolved; they may just assume they're SOL.  And even if they do come, it would save the hassle if they already knew that they were looking for wxLauncher (as 5.5 could tell them that if it was updated to do so).

Just a thought.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Launcher 5.5g player retention problem?
The 5.5g Launcher is not incompatible. At worst, you get an error message on startup, but beyond that, it works just fine.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  Why the big fuss with people using it then?  Could've sworn there were a bunch of problems with people using it that were fixed by switching to wxLauncher.

EDIT: Quick search.

Your log shows that the exe starts with the appropriate resolution. What's the issue now?

(That launcher error is a known incompatibility. Launcher 5.5g does not work correctly on Windows 8. We will not fix this, since wxLauncher does work correctly)
* The E activates psychic debugging powers

You are using Windows 8. There's a known incompatibility between Win 8 and the 5.5g Launcher, you need to use wxLauncher instead.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It may be that the underlying issues got fixed in Windows 8.1 or one of the interim updates. Point being, apart from that "Failed to enum" message, the 5.5g Launcher is fully functional now on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Good to know, thanks.  :yes: