Author Topic: Speakers Blown Out  (Read 1428 times)

Offline FIZ

I have a fresh ASUS MOBO that has to deal with speakers TWO DAYS!!!!!  :banghead: before they blew out.  I'm looking for a good 2.1 (at least I think thats the term for 2 speakers near monitor and a subwoofer/ power supply.  I can't bring myself to play any new Blue Planet until this is remedied... please help!

I'd recommend the bit old yet still good Logitech Z213 /Z323if you're going for super cheap(30-40 bucks) or  Z523 set for more quality(around 80$). They have all the standard stuff and separate bass control but lack fancy stuff like a bluetooth adapter which is sold separately.

Both sets look a bit basic(just black cuboids) but they give you good sound and a decent subwoofer for home use. Unless you're an audiophile(or want one of those subwoofers strong enough to wake up half your block) the sets for over 100$ are a waste.
Half of them are charging for the styling anyway.

Of course, it would help if you said what kind of price range/quality you're interested in.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:06:06 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline FIZ

Ahh yes.  The speakers that fluked out on me are Altec Lansing VS4121 http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-VS4121-Powered-System/dp/B000TMI07O which I found quite satisfactory, although they did "damage" when a roommate was using them to pump music through the townhouse we we're renting at by turning them up to 11.  Up until a month ago when I heard them 'pop' they have been quite satisfactory as long as you kept them below 70%.

I guess I'm looking for something maybe a little bit more robust, not sure if any 2.1 systems take advantage of all the pretty color ports on the back of a modern MOBO other than the green port, and I'd like to keep it under $100 USD.  Maybe something that can detect / cut back / cancel out white noise when there is nothing playing, but that is not an essential feature.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I never understood people not setting up a proper home theater system.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Can't speak for anyone else but I live in a bachelor pad. The only space I have behind my computer is my bed and I'd rather not put speakers on there. So 2.1 is the best I can do with the space I have.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
not wanting speakers mounted to the ceiling
not wanting speakers mounted to the wall
not wanting speaker bedposts, all four corners
why live?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FIZ

not having to run a new electrical trunk line because I want to watch a youtube video without having to power up a head unit the size of an xbox

When I get a home theater, I will set up a proper home theater.  Right now I just want something I don't have to gauge wires for.

Offline LHN91

Heck, even when I only had a bed I taped 4 speakers to the bedposts and taped the wires under the bed  :p Honestly I'm not sure what's decent nowadays, my last set of 2.1s were actually the same Altec Lansing's you had, and my brother-in-law is still using them.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Meanwhile I just added the 300 watt sub behind my sofa completing my 7.1 surround sound in my living room. Not to mention the separate zones in my basement and deck. All 2000 watts of it controlled and routed through the computer mounted to the ceiling in the garage. Custom mobile friendly web interface for playing music. There's even a dedicated circuit from the breaker box just for the computer/amps.

Truly this is beginning to approach a man's sound system.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline LHN91

Ultimately I would say try to find a store with at least some sets on display that you can test out. I know theres a recommendation for Logitech above, and I know lots of people that swear by them, but I've been disappointed by the sets I've heard.

At the end of the day your ears are the ultimate test.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think the Logitech ones need to be the more expensive ones, I've never really liked the budget ones ($40 Altecs will kick $40 Logitechs all day every day).

I have a Sony HT-CT260 (2.1 Sound bar) that's pretty kick ass, got it on ebay for $168 incl shipping.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ht-ct260/     <- That recommends some other ones for the same-ish price that sound better; the Sony has well-rounded features etc etc though; look at the different ratings etc.    the CT260 is rated 4-5 / 5 stars usually.

Offline FIZ

I decided to go the d**** speaker route: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer

sans bluetooth, will let you know what I think if you want.