Author Topic: The truth is out there  (Read 5800 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

OK, we all seen the film Pi, right? Now, I'm ****e with numbers, but I followed what the random jewish dude was explaining about the mathematical patterns in the Torrah (s/p? my bad). Is there a good reason why the Torrah (and supposedly the Bible, tho I guess they're at least half the same) should have these patterns?

Side note --> Any body following that new investigation of the great pyramid? Von Daniken wrote a chapter about Gattenbrink's first attempt to explore the shaft back in 1993, but I had no idea they were broadcasting the latest attempt live until it was too late and I'd missed it. What do we all reckon is in there? Von Daniken reckoned maybe Enoch hid the book of Adam in there (supposedly a talking book made of a single blue crystal which contained all the knowledge of the universe and endowed it's bearer with uber-wisdom, ala King David etc). I personally reckon if they get to the end they'll find either a derelict flying saucer or a brick wall with 'Sucka' written in hieroglyphs...

Offline Dr.Zer0

• Got Knossos?
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/knossos/
Dr.Zer0s Theroy on UFOs and Aliens
Well my theory is that ever notice that the only people who are 'abducted' by aliens are theory old trailer park white trash, well that's my point, they must of just came home too drunk to rember much but what they think they saw, so they are just thinking they were 'abducted' by aliens. Also with UFOs. If 'UFOs' existed wouldent they be flying over citys and other places BESIDES Alabama and Texas, god, were these thing are flying it make you wonder, who the hell would live there in the first place, thaats why its in the desert, possibly it could be a project from the government(kind of stupid idea but still could be possible) or it could just be some retard flying a kite.
Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes):
My powerful brain in unraveling the myseries of the universe.
------------------
Its all fun and games until you hit the ground
------------------
Visit my site if you play TFC and hate the way it is
custom-tfc.co.uk
[/i]

Offline diamondgeezer

Re: Dr.Zer0s Theroy on UFOs and Aliens
Originally posted by Dr.Zer0
...ever notice that the only people who are 'abducted' by aliens are theory old trailer park white trash...

Mebbe on your side of the pond mate, but that's not true of our abductees. Perhaps that's because we don't have trailer trash, but anyway over here all sorts of folks get the bright-light-and-drlll treatment...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
OK, we all seen the film Pi, right? Now, I'm ****e with numbers, but I followed what the random jewish dude was explaining about the mathematical patterns in the Torrah (s/p? my bad). Is there a good reason why the Torrah (and supposedly the Bible, tho I guess they're at least half the same) should have these patterns?

Have you ever looked at the decimal representations for Pi or Euler's number? Long strings of data, like trancendental numbers and text strings from immense books, will always show emergent patterns. Its a known psychological effect generated by the pattern recognition bits of your brain. Your brain searches for order in gibberish until it finds something that it can sieze upon.

Side note --> Any body following that new investigation of the great pyramid? Von Daniken wrote a chapter about Gattenbrink's first attempt to explore the shaft back in 1993, but I had no idea they were broadcasting the latest attempt live until it was too late and I'd missed it. What do we all reckon is in there? Von Daniken reckoned maybe Enoch hid the book of Adam in there (supposedly a talking book made of a single blue crystal which contained all the knowledge of the universe and endowed it's bearer with uber-wisdom, ala King David etc). I personally reckon if they get to the end they'll find either a derelict flying saucer or a brick wall with 'Sucka' written in hieroglyphs...

The probe looked past the plug and found.... another plug. See the recent story over at Slashdot.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
I saw a Sathanas fly over my apartment... Does that count as a UFO? :)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
I suggest Carl Sagan's book "The Demon Haunted World" when it comes to "UFO Abductions". I'll even recommend it for that Crop Circles nonsense.

In short, consider that a known condition, which effects most human beings called 'sleep paralysis' happens to have almost EXACTLY the same sensory effects as those ascribed to "ufo abductions", and those effects are noncultural. They're near identical from Europe to African to Asia to South America.

Consider also that "alien abduction" stories change as times change. Before they were Grays, people were abducted by elves and faeries. We don't believe in the Fae anymore, so we get creatures who said they were "Martians". Once the Martian canals were disproved by scientists with a little less credulity, martians stopped visiting earth. Funny thing though: before global radio and television alien abduction/visitation stories were distinct. Now that it take a few seconds to bounce a signal from New York to Sydney, we get homogenised 'aliens'

Sorry, if there's a mundane explanation, it tends to be the right one.  Alien abductions are normal dreamlike states experienced by normal people. They are overlaid in the mind with whatever religio-cultural folderol the person happens to which the 'victim' happens to subscribe. There's nothing extraordinary here except the propensity of people to ascribe to the supernatural and supernormal that which can be explained by the natural and normal.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Have you ever looked at the decimal representations for Pi or Euler's number? Long strings of data, like trancendental numbers and text strings from immense books, will always show emergent patterns. Its a known psychological effect generated by the pattern recognition bits of your brain. Your brain searches for order in gibberish until it finds something that it can sieze upon.

I have not really seen anything like that in any constants (Khinchin, Stieltjes, etc.), although there are occassional places where one can find something like 0123456789 in a row or stuff like that. Is that the type of thing you mean?

Although I agree with you about this UFO thing; not credible enough to warrant a second look.

Offline Dr.Zer0

• Got Knossos?
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/knossos/
Originally posted by Cannikin
I saw a Sathanas fly over my apartment... Does that count as a UFO? :)

well you aredy identified it, so that dosent make it an official UFO ;)
Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes):
My powerful brain in unraveling the myseries of the universe.
------------------
Its all fun and games until you hit the ground
------------------
Visit my site if you play TFC and hate the way it is
custom-tfc.co.uk
[/i]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
excrement = excellent

I first thought this said "excretement" or something... :p :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2002, 03:31:14 pm by 296 »

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by CP5670

I have not really seen anything like that in any constants (Khinchin, Stieltjes, etc.), although there are occassional places where one can find something like 0123456789 in a row or stuff like that. Is that the type of thing you mean?

Although I agree with you about this UFO thing; not credible enough to warrant a second look.

Transcendentals are fun. You can find words, dates, all kinds of stuff in them. In theory, you could use pi or e as a perfect means for sharing data (offset x, length y, codec z). The only catch is that in most cases, the formula for getting the data is longer and slower than just passing the data in some other more convenient manner.

The key here is the inherent properties of transcendentals. They're infinite in length and never repeat (if their repeated, they wouldn't be transcendental). Infinite length and nonrepitition leads logically to infinite combinations of data in the stream.

The universe is full of seemingly chaotic events that, when looked at from the right perspective, show emergent patterns. The human mind is at its core a pattern recognition device (its how we recognise faces, or see shapes in clouds, or make those annoying pictures become 3d when you look at them right). It can hardly be thought of as supernatural or supernormal that the mind finds patterns emerging from seemingly chaotic streams of data.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
SG-1!!!!! WEEEEEEEE! YEAH!
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Re: Dr.Zer0s Theroy on UFOs and Aliens
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

Mebbe on your side of the pond mate, but that's not true of our abductees. Perhaps that's because we don't have trailer trash, but anyway over here all sorts of folks get the bright-light-and-drlll treatment...

No, our trash live in hi-rises and wear Kappa.  As such, the bright flahs of a neon yellow tracksuit acts as a beacon to UFOs.  Unfortunately, aliens are allergic to buckast, and thus very few neds are ever abducted.

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Re: Re: Re: Dr.Zer0s Theroy on UFOs and Aliens
Originally posted by aldo_14

No, our trash live in hi-rises and wear Kappa.  As such, the bright flahs of a neon yellow tracksuit acts as a beacon to UFOs.  Unfortunately, aliens are allergic to buckast, and thus very few neds are ever abducted.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
we don't use saucers because our technology is advanced enough that we can balance our ships with uber gyroscopes and the like. that and spikes look so darned cool.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Lets clear something which really, really annoys me, in other words im going to rant. UFO means Unidentified Flying Object, Alien Spaceship means something with dudes from outerspace/underthesea or whatever. A UFO can be anything you dont recognise. It doesnt mean its alien, you CANNOT disprove the existance of UFO's. Let me stress a UFO is an Unidentified Flying Object,  in other words, a thing in the sky, that is flying and you do not know what is it.
Got Ether?

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Originally posted by Stealth
i don't know why i just thought of this, but has anyone ever seen "October Sky"?  it's not too old, perhaps 2-4 years old, but it's an awesome movie, isn't it?
Such a good movie! I love it! It's really good...we had to read the book version for school this year.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.