Author Topic: TCP update  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Grunt

Hi All,

We have made some progress in The Centaur Project.

Two new ships (GTD Wotan and GTE/GVE Ehnaton) and a renewed one are introduced + the TCP starmap.

Details and renders on the Techroom page:
http://w3.enternet.hu/fscult/TCP.htm

What's your opinion ? :)
Just fly on !

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I like the wotan but I think you`ve got a screwy texture on it (On what looks like a fighter bay at the front and top of the ship.

The other ship is nice too but I`m not so keen on the colours you`ve picked for the AWACs dish.

But apart from that it's pretty good work
« Last Edit: November 30, 2002, 10:57:41 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by karajorma
I like the wotan but I think you`ve got a screwy texture on it (On what looks like a fighter bay at the front and top of the ship.

The other ship is nice too but I`m not so keen on the colours you`ve picked for the AWACs dish.

But apart from that it's pretty good work

Thanks karajorma.

Wotan textures:
That's what planar UV mapping can do in earlier Truespace versions, and the model was done in TS1.
If I look at the model as at a ship, I do not find it disturbing at all. Maybe it's different from the modeler's point of view.

This part was meant to be the bridge, the fighterbay is on the left hand side with the red light coming out of it.

GTE Ehnaton:
The colors reflect a distinct difference between Terran and Vasudan design, just like the TCP ships do with the different style of three modelers.
Maybe the symbol on this part of the ship is a bit too straightforward if you see what I mean.

The Ehnaton is not really an AWACS but the opposit, and the central part would be an EMP emitter.

I think that all ships have some interesting features and will serve the campaign well. We won't have too much time to modify the design I'm afraid.
But anyway it's up to the authors how they react to the feedback. :wink:
Just fly on !

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i need some more "tutorials" or "information" for my site... someone give me ideas

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I believe that it wouldn`t be too hard a problem to fix if you have the right software :)

You can get TS2 from a link in the modding section of my FAQ. The problem face can be fixed using the option to UV map a single face (it's hidden below the UV map object button). Mess about with the face until you get the texture to look better.

Once you`ve done that convert it into a pof using what ever pof conversion software you have.

The only problem is getting hold of an old copy of PCS for the next step. Use the import pof extended data option and choose your original pof (the newest version of PCS doesn`t seem to be able to import data as easily).

That should be it. If you have the tools it shouldn`t take more than 5 minutes to fix.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by karajorma

That should be it. If you have the tools it shouldn`t take more than 5 minutes to fix.

I wish it would be so easy. :)
I have PCS 1.1.01 which imports extended data but not turret data.
And it's a bit painful to edit fourty something turrets. :D

But you are right, it can be done.
Maybe the easiest way would be to cut only the retextured Hull subobject with a HEX editor and replace with it the existing one.

Now we have TS5.1 for face mapping ...

We'll see. :doubt:
Just fly on !

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by Stealth
i need some more "tutorials" or "information" for my site... someone give me ideas

Could you be a bit more specific ? ;)
Just fly on !

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmmm - Not bad, not bad at all. I like the Wotan the best, as out of all of them it's the most Freespacey. The Scorpion 2 is also pretty decent - but how the hell does it look like a scorpion?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by Black Wolf
Hmmm - Not bad, not bad at all. I like the Wotan the best, as out of all of them it's the most Freespacey. The Scorpion 2 is also pretty decent - but how the hell does it look like a scorpion?

True. The Wotan looks really "Terran", so it fits into the story, which says that they started to develop it right after Capella, to reinforce the fleet.

I wanted to introduce something really new with the Trifid and Carabus, suggesting a real technological breakthrough later on.

The Ehnaton was a joint development mixing old and new elements.

I don't quite understand your question about the Scorpion... :rolleyes:
Just fly on !

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Scorpion

The Scorpion 2

I fail to see the resemblance. I like the model though. Could possibly do with a little more texture detail in a few places, but it's very shivan, very good.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Grunt

Well, the name comes from the shape of the "tail" in both cases. Otherwise you're right, the two models are quite different.

But I give out a secret from behind the curtain. When I did the Scorpion-II in Apryl 2001, I did not even know that there was a ship called Scorpion in FS1. Simply because I did not have FS1 then, just got it a few months later on the CD of a Magazin.

I did not want to change the name, so I had to "create " a story for the naming to cover this. :D

As for the texturing ... this was my first trial of modeling ... :)
Just fly on !

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I've seen that Scorpion II before, have you relesased it on it's on before? Perhaps on F2S?

BTW, your AWACS thing (the Ethanol or whatever you call it :D ) looks like the IWAR ship, without the wings.

Offline Grunt

Originally posted by Petrarch of th VBB
I've seen that Scorpion II before, have you relesased it on it's on before? Perhaps on F2S?

BTW, your AWACS thing (the Ethanol or whatever you call it :D ) looks like the IWAR ship, without the wings.

Wow !
I come to HLP and what do I see ? We are in the Headlines ! :cool:
Windrunner wrote some good words about TCP.

Thanks a lot Windrunner. :)

Petrarch of th VBB:

The Scorpion II is not new here on HLP, you can find (and download) the model in the MOD section since May, 2001.
It was then that I announced it on the VBB.
It was my first model for TCP, only it was not included into the techroom database on FSCult.

AWACS thing (which is not AWACS thing at all):
Ethanol was an alcoholic Egyptian pharaoh as you know.
But there was an other one (less known though) called Ehnaton, and that's where the Ship's name came from. :D

And to answer the question:
I've never seen the IWAR ship but one thing I know. Everything looks like something ...:nod:
Just fly on !