Poll

Which game is better, Freespace 1 or Freespace 2?

Descent/Conflict: FreeSpace - The Great War
21 (38.2%)
FreeSpace 2
34 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: October 23, 2002, 11:48:25 am

Author Topic: FS1 or FS2  (Read 57614 times)

Offline Anaz

heh...but its soo much fun watching people ***** at eachoter...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Don't lock the thread, there's no reason to, the flaming isn't that bad, relatively.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by Analazon
heh...but its soo much fun watching people ***** at eachoter...

Volition Bulletin Board - should_be_description :D

Back in the good ol' days these discussions were a ton better.  What's his face who claimed to be the best pilot would have had to prove it.  Not to mention these topics hadn't been pounded in.
"I am about to drop the hammer and dispense some indiscriminant justice!" -Starcraft

"First rule of government spending, why build one for the price of one, when you can have two for twice the price." - S.R. Hadden (Contact)

If you want "Proof" come see....
Goku/Quantum_Delta my normal names, if you can't find me, just ask someone, most of the people down there know exactly who I am.

You are right about the topics being pounded in :P

/me starts playing campaign on x2 compression....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by Falcon X
Back in the good ol' days these discussions were a ton better.  What's his face who claimed to be the best pilot would have had to prove it.  Not to mention these topics hadn't been pounded in.

Proved time and time again...for about...what...6 months now?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
I like choreographing beam combat, headache though it may be. Have you played the mission included in the old Reciprocity vp?

(Following blacked out due to minor surprise spoilage)

You're investigating a wrecked Aten (and you're sat right next to it, scanning the bugger) and then an Orion jumps in and zaps the cruiser, leaving you abou two seconds to get clear of the blast ;7

I have no problem with beams, but the ships relie on them too heavily... Like the colossus... It relied on beams too much... THATS why the Iceni escaped (supposedly) If it had had more than 45 laser turrets, or used its fighters, it could have destroyed the Iceni... The NTF people caused a "malfunction" mainly to disable the beams... but if they had put laser turrets into a different weapon console, because the gunners aren't actualy IN the gun on a ship that big... so they could have been able to fire off at least a salvo of TerranHeavyTurrets which would make 20 green blobs flying into the Iceni... 20 is hardly enough to kill an Ursa... So if they used more laser turrets, they might be able to hit it with 100 or so green blobs... (For those of you with XWA or StarWars books, a Vic Star Deuce has over 450 Turbolasers, and they are only 1.1 k long... An ISDII had over 600, and could bring 200 to bear on any target at any time)

just for fun...:

From Colossus Captain (whats his name?)

Command! Were experiencing a massive global malfunction in firing control!
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

That's not how the FS2 universe works hippo, ships don't have hundreds of turrets.  Not only can the engine not handle it, it goes completely outside the way capital ships exist in FS2.  Also, turrets do not have the "big" tag, so they could not destroy the Iceni just like fighters couldn't.  Only beams, bombs, and trebs can destroy it.

And only beams provide real capship combat.  You've played FS1 I'm sure, there wasn't any in that game.

And if you played XWA, you'd know how ridiculously easy it is to kill any and all capships in that game with any fighter, it's just stupid.

edit: Not to mention what the Sathanas would have done to the Colossus if it only had TerranHugeTurrets...can you say complete slaughter?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
If you want "Proof" come see....

listen to him.

he's awesome.

he's experienced.

i can't think of anyone that he can't beat.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Go look it up...Jesus wept.

huh?  i don't get it

Originally posted by Shiva Archon
That's not how the FS2 universe works hippo, ships don't have hundreds of turrets.  Not only can the engine not handle it, it goes completely outside the way capital ships exist in FS2.  Also, turrets do not have the "big" tag, so they could not destroy the Iceni just like fighters couldn't.  Only beams, bombs, and trebs can destroy it.

And only beams provide real capship combat.  You've played FS1 I'm sure, there wasn't any in that game.

And if you played XWA, you'd know how ridiculously easy it is to kill any and all capships in that game with any fighter, it's just stupid.

edit: Not to mention what the Sathanas would have done to the Colossus if it only had TerranHugeTurrets...can you say complete slaughter?

Luci had a form of beam cannon... Flux, it's a bit odd....
It was possible to kill any cap in a fighter, in FS1, that's something I miss in FS2, sorely...
I suppose it makes the game play a tiny bit harder..like...the difference between floating and gliding.. it does take some enjoyment out of it though...

However Shiva is very right, Beams are the only real viable way for capship battles in FS2, simply because the ships are stupidly big, but... that's all compensated for.

When I complained earlier about the beams, I meant the anti-fighter beams, they're undodgable.
If they miss, it's either because weaps-sub is damaged/it's been set in fred / you're fairly far away.
Having weapons fired at you you cannot dodge goes against my style of gaming...especially when they just go through your shields...
And Stealth, I can't beat BD anymore, that's about it though ;)
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
*thinks of random good players from top of head*

what about bava?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Only at Coop, and he's alright at TvT, pretty much inactive now, even though we were pretty close in skill when he was around..I've improved about 2000% since he went offline.
If you were to consider him now, he'd probably be average at best, PXO in general has been improving in skill (...I train random peeps, also playing with people a lot raises their skills because I don't hide my tactics/flying styles, no secrets)... and we're still top of the pile.

Edit....
Actually, thinking about the skill levels themselves....
If Bava was about an SSJ1 when he was around...
hmm... about 15+ times better then he was.... not really 2000%, almost though....

Further Edit...

There is a skill plateau, right on the top, where BD is, it's very very difficult to increase your skill level beyond that, there are no tricks, no tighter turning, the only thing you can do is what I do, but that takes longer.
I've studied pretty much every flying style I've ever met, and incorperated it, so my accuracy is good, my turning is good, my reactions are good, my spacial awareness is good, what I'm not so good at, my only REAL weak point, is duels....
TvT and Coop, you probably wont find a better combination then BD and I...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2002, 02:13:39 pm by 456 »

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
This guy sure isn't underconfident.

If I think hard, I think I've played with BD once or twice. everything else escapes me.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
At least about two years ago, the truly best pilots I have seen around were without a doubt the couple of the Drak people; these guys were like the ultimate team. I have not played FS2 multiplayer regularly since then and things may have changed in the meantime.

It was possible to kill any cap in a fighter, in FS1, that's something I miss in FS2, sorely...

okay, where is that older topic on this same subject? I distinctly remember addressing this issue and saying why this complaint made no sense whatsoever.. :p

I suppose it makes the game play a tiny bit harder..like...the difference between floating and gliding.. it does take some enjoyment out of it though...

Not so realistic to be able to take out a huge destroyer with piddly fighter guns and anti-fighter missiles.  When was the last time you saw a guy with a machine gun sink an aircraft carrier?

When I complained earlier about the beams, I meant the anti-fighter beams, they're undodgable.
If they miss, it's either because weaps-sub is damaged/it's been set in fred / you're fairly far away.
Having weapons fired at you you cannot dodge goes against my style of gaming...especially when they just go through your shields...

Yep, exactly.  Sucks to attack capships doesn't it?  That's why I love anti-fighter beams so much, because I'm tired of playing games where I can destroy huge warships with impunity, having no threat to myself.  At least in FS2, you have to think tactically and disable those weapons.  

Finally...capships are a threat to something instead of just a big fat worthless target.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by Stunaep
This guy sure isn't underconfident.

If I think hard, I think I've played with BD once or twice. everything else escapes me.

I don't remember playing with you, that is unless you were under another name....

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by Shiva Archon

Not so realistic to be able to take out a huge destroyer with piddly fighter guns and anti-fighter missiles.  When was the last time you saw a guy with a machine gun sink an aircraft carrier?

I always thought that with an infinite amount of bullets, that would be possible...could be mistaken tho =)

Offline 01010

Originally posted by karajorma

There is NO BLOODY WAYthe Amiga had been using a multi-tasking OS for over 10 years. .

Workbench 3.0 > MS OS's

Amiga ownz joo
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by 01010

Workbench 3.0 > MS OS's

Amiga ownz joo

Could it be that one of the users of the amiga port of Freespace has finally appeared on this board?

*The crowd wait with baited breath* :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]