Author Topic: Odd bug/problem  (Read 2906 times)

Online Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In a mission I'm making, I can't get the "mission successful" music to play.  Even when all the goals are marked as complete, when I jump out, I still get the "mission failed" db_03 debriefing music.  Anyone have any idea why? :confused:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This is a known bug in FS2. I am not sure exactly how it determines what music file to use but it is related to not only the status of the objectives but also that of the directives. So if the player did not completely destroy some wing of fighters and thus leave a directive uncompleted, it will still play the "average" debrief music. This problem can be seen in the main campaign missions as well. (e.g. sm3-08, Petrarch is talking about the destruction of the Colossus with victory-like music playing in the background :rolleyes: )

There is a way to get around this though; what I do is to just put the music filenames in for the voices, which are specific to each debriefing stage, so that it plays something appropriate for the situation. The only problem with this is that the music does not loop.

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
Are you playing missions out of the simulator? Cause for me it always plays the failure music after a sim mission no matter what I do.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
If your playing in the sim you will always get loser music, heres why

Code: [Select]

// start up the appropriate music
if (Campaign.next_mission == Campaign.current_mission) {
// you failed the mission because you suck, so you get the suck music
common_music_init(SCORE_DEBRIEF_FAIL);
} else if (mission_goals_met()) {
// you completed all primaries and secondaries, thus you are a stud boy and you get stud boy music
common_music_init(SCORE_DEBRIEF_SUCCESS);
} else {
// you somehow passed the mission, so you get a little something for your efforts.
common_music_init(SCORE_DEBRIEF_AVERAGE);
}

as you can see, it determins failure as the fact that the next mission will be the same mission, IE, you have to do it again. But if there is no next mission, then the game automatically says its the same mission, because theres no campaign tree to determin the next mission.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Online Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, that was it.  I was playing in the simulator.  Thanks all for the help.

Thanks for the code, vadar - that's very interesting.  It has piqued my curiosity about another music question - possibly related, but I'm not sure.  In another mission of the campaign I'm building, I have a red-alert.  Now when I start the mission in the simulator (I haven't tried playing it in the campaign yet), nothing plays for the red-alert briefing screen.  However, when I finish the mission, the briefing music that was supposed to play at the beginning gets played instead of the debriefing music.  Any idea why this might be happening?

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
on clue, but when properly linked (red alert ending, followed by a red-alert mission) it should work correctly. IIRC the red alert breifing screen never has any music.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by vadar_1
// you failed the mission because you suck, so you get the suck music

// you completed all primaries and secondaries, thus you are a stud boy and you get stud boy music

:lol:
Originally posted by vadar_1
IIRC the red alert breifing screen never has any music.
True.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The "average" one seems to be by far the most common somehow...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Goober5000
Well, that was it.  I was playing in the simulator.  Thanks all for the help.

Thanks for the code, vadar - that's very interesting.  It has piqued my curiosity about another music question - possibly related, but I'm not sure.  In another mission of the campaign I'm building, I have a red-alert.  Now when I start the mission in the simulator (I haven't tried playing it in the campaign yet), nothing plays for the red-alert briefing screen.  However, when I finish the mission, the briefing music that was supposed to play at the beginning gets played instead of the debriefing music.  Any idea why this might be happening?

Don`t test red alerts in the sim. Make a short campaign file just for those two missions and test on that instead. It gives you a better idea of problems with your actual re-alert and it lets you increase your pilots rank to boot :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by karajorma

Don`t test red alerts in the sim. Make a short campaign file just for those two missions and test on that instead. It gives you a better idea of problems with your actual re-alert and it lets you increase your pilots rank to boot :D

Ever shot down a cargo container with enough points to get you four or five Admirals?:lol:
Then make a new pilot.;7

It could be a very tricky cargo container to shoot.
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Tar-Palantir
It could be a very tricky cargo container to shoot.

Yeah. Put it inside a sathanas. First you kill the sath and only then can you get at the container :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Solatar

wouldn't the explosion of the Sathans destroy it? Then you wouldn't get the points.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Hades
wouldn't the explosion of the Sathans destroy it? Then you wouldn't get the points.

Flag "Invulnerable"

when
-is-destroyed-delay
--Sathanas 1
-ship-vulnerable
--Super Happy Funbox of Promotion Granting Points

:wink:
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting