Author Topic: What sort of expertise is needed to build a good Freespace campaign?  (Read 5631 times)

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
What sort of expertise is needed to build a good Freespace campaign?
Originally posted by Su-tehp

Darkage, ol' buddy, ol' pal, can I interest you into joining the "Devil and the Deep Blue" staff? :D

You'd get the opportunity to make some _interesting_ anis! :nod:

Hehe, sorry to disapoint you Su, but i already have a butload of work that needs finishing and some stuff i need to start on.

Maby later when i am not so busy anymore,but i'll mail you or PM you when i might help ya out.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
management sills and an idea.

My campaign started with this sweet idea, then became a written decription, then a staff was formed, now i'm managing.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Originally posted by darkage

Hehe, sorry to disapoint you Su, but i already have a butload of work that needs finishing and some stuff i need to start on.

Maby later when i am not so busy anymore,but i'll mail you or PM you when i might help ya out.

Yeah, considering the number of avatars under your name, I figured you'd be too busy, but I figured it was worth a shot...

No sweat, Darkage. DatDB is a long term project, with a probable release date two years from now. If you find time between now and then, let me know.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Advance the storyline in mission. Don't just have the command briefings explain what's happening. Integrating them into the actual missions makes the player feel as if he's actually taking part in events, rather than on the sidelines watching.

Throw surprises at the player. That's something I believe the main FS2 campaign excelled at. When you first hear about Bosch's Etak project, you undoubtedly assumed that it was some sort of weapon. In the briefings, that notion is reinforced, when the officers repeatedly say it is "probably a weapon of mass destruction". I mean, what else would a villain be constructing anyway? It then comes as a much bigger surprise when it's revealed to actually be a communications device.

People often comment that the Bosch monologues were all boring. I've always found the second one quite entertaining. How often do you see the evil guy denigrating all his men as an "army of stupid cattle"? It's the little pieces that combine to form a great story.
My one and only mission (took me a year to complete): Laying Down of Arms
Mission description: Alpha wing aids in the boarding and capturing of three surrendering NTF warships.

Offline diamondgeezer

OK, this is starting to seem more than a little troll-like, Executor. Best stay clear of Thunder, m'kay?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
:wtf: where did this come from...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
*Beats Executor with a rotting frozen fish*
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I .....

Smell .......

Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Nuclear1

umm....

whats this? an old thread you say?

Prepare the Thread Blaster 5000!

*pulls out giant, black cannon-like object thats about twice as big as an Apollo*

Power up main closing beam cannons....

FIRE!

*any admins out there? that's your cue*
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!