Author Topic: You know what sucks?  (Read 13319 times)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by venom2506

you gotta be josking, the FLCS was a nightmare to run under DOS. Btw, when I talk about original thrustmaster, you must read, in my weird language , "FLCS", coz it's the one that made thrust famous.

The FLCS is easy under DOS. so long as your sound card driver is loaded (you gotta do that, so that you have access to SOUND and the GAMEPORT ;)), all you do is plug it in, et voila! it works. The FLCS may have been what made Thrustmaster famous over in Europe, but they had a series of successful sticks for years before it, many of which were copied by (or if truth be told, copied FROM) CH Products.

on a side note, it is funny to think that whenever you reply to me, there's often enough words to fill a pocket book page :D

That's because you are actually worth the effort of a complete reply. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
*pats his Wingman Strike Force 3D*

This thing freakin RULES! :)

Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Keyboard+Mouse here and a Lucifer to my credit about...5 minutes ago. Played everything from MW4 to Echelon to Shriking in T2 with this setup. It's second-nature, once ya feel out a good keyboard setup.

Although, I wouldn't mind a good JS. Curse those fighters that -must- fly high up and keep looping. You know the ones. Your mouse flys off the pad trying to catch up, and you have to pick it up and put it back down center again.

One question about the JS, though:How do you suggest "rolling" the craft with a JS? Twisting the handle or pushing left/right?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by Wesmunly
Keyboard+Mouse here and a Lucifer to my credit about...5 minutes ago. Played everything from MW4 to Echelon to Shriking in T2 with this setup. It's second-nature, once ya feel out a good keyboard setup.

Although, I wouldn't mind a good JS. Curse those fighters that -must- fly high up and keep looping. You know the ones. Your mouse flys off the pad trying to catch up, and you have to pick it up and put it back down center again.

One question about the JS, though:How do you suggest "rolling" the craft with a JS? Twisting the handle or pushing left/right?

Rudder axis.

And unfortunately, my jury rigged repairs didn't hold. It was good to play with a real stick again whilst it lasted.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I beated FS1 and FS2 by keyboard only. I have no problems doing dogfighting and regulating my shield/gun/engine energy and sometimes giving commands at once. wel almost at once.
And i do not care about my wingmen i usualy kill the whole damn shivan fleet i am fighitn against by my self.:)
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
What is the point of force feedback? Just shake yourself around manually, like star Trek.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Wesmunly

Twist. :)  Once you get a stick that has twisting ability, you won't go back.

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
What is the point of force feedback? Just shake yourself around manually, like star Trek.

Bah, that takes effort. ;)

I use a MS Force Feedback Pro. It shook so hard that it snapped the flimsy little power connector in the joystick itself and I had to use my dad's one. I still prefer the look of these HOTAS sets, especially the Saitek and the Cougar, but I have no money, so I will probably never see one.
"Once I destroyed the world with nuclear fire to clear the way for my cybernetic future. I now intend to further shape the world into my own image by surgically removing unwanted growths like yourself!"
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by Vertigo1

Twist. :)  Once you get a stick that has twisting ability, you won't go back.

I can't stand joystick twists. I want the stick to be perfectly rigid on the Z-axis, thank you very much. If I need a "twist" axis, any proper HOTAS setup has at least one antenna knob and one range knob and spare axis left over for rudders.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by <<ERROR>>
I use a MS Force Feedback Pro. It shook so hard that it snapped the flimsy little power connector in the joystick itself and I had to use my dad's one.

:lol: :D

Seriously though, you can dial that down ya know.  Just go into your joystick control panel and tweak with the settings there.

It killed itself while the PC was starting up - every time I turn on the PC (and to a lesser extent, turn it off), the joystick spasms. One day, it spasmed a little too hard, hit the wall of the computer cupboard and snapped the power connector.
In game, I have a fairly tight grip on it, so it shakes me more than the base, but I get this nagging feeling that its days are numbered. When that happens, not only is there no FF, but there will be no return to centre, either (it is done electronically with the FF motors).
Shame really, as I like getting my watch shaken off whilst strafing a Sharlin.
"Once I destroyed the world with nuclear fire to clear the way for my cybernetic future. I now intend to further shape the world into my own image by surgically removing unwanted growths like yourself!"
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
ROFL!

Sorry, but everytime I try to imagine that happening, I can't keep from laughing. :p

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
Originally posted by Vertigo1
ROFL!

Sorry, but everytime I try to imagine that happening, I can't keep from laughing. :p

no kidding  i can't see the joystick hiting the cupboard. i have a microsoft force feedback2 and it doesn't shake that much even on its highest setting

Maybe M$ turned the power down for the FF2. I wouldn't get one anyway, because I hate USB devices as they suck up too many valuable CPU cycles.
Anyway, in the beginning of its life it visibly lifted a portion of the base off the surface and you would hear a big CLONK! . It mellowed out later in life, but the initial spastic fits signed its death warrant. I have been more careful with the new joystick, wedging it tightly between a hefty 17in monitor and the side of the cupboard. It still works, but the power connector feels a bit flaky and it very rarely (twice a year) needs straightening.

[EDIT] I like things that shake you about a lot. I bought this thing called an 'Interactor' that is basically a very large subwoofer unit in a plastic backpack. It super-enhances the bass of things and when it is on its middle power setting, I can feel it resonating in my very bones! Chilling. [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 12:11:49 pm by 883 »
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100