Author Topic: Freespace 2 Picture Too Dark?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Owen

• http://3dap.com/eliteforce/owen
Freespace 2 Picture Too Dark?
I just installed Freespace 2 on a PC running Windows XP and a GF4 Ti400 with the Det 43.30 drivers and the screen is so dark I can hardly see a thing.  My computer monitor brightness is already maxed and after swimming the mouse around in the options, I found the brightness toggle ingame but even at level 5.0 it did not seem to change anything and is still too dark.  Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way the game is?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Hopefully you actually get a useful reply instead of the usual spammers with their welcome beams and so forth....
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Umm, is it just FS that is dark, or have you tried some other games as well? I don't know what it could be, but try increasing the gamma value in the options menu. That might sort it. :)  I don't really know what else to suggest, but I'm sure someone will know.

Welcome to HLP, by the way! Thought I'd be the first to say it, but I don't want to annoy Shrike by beaming you. ;)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Go to display (from the control panel) and try altering your gamma settings (it might be somewhere in the advanced options). If that is already set to max I don`t know what to do.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Hey, I said that!
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
Originally posted by pyro-manic
Welcome to HLP, by the way! Thought I'd be the first to say it, but I don't want to annoy Shrike by beaming you. ;)

There is that welcome megafunk turret. :p
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

OMFGWTFAOLBBQBATMAN!!!!!11114111-MicroPsycho

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The screen is brighter if you use 16-bit. Use this at all costs, because you cannot see the change while you are pursued by twenty-three Manticores, and ya have half a percent hull.
It also increases the framerate, and the prog is brighter, which is the most important 4 u :nod:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
either way, FreeSpace is always a dark game.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Ahhh .... the dark FS2. Its been seduced by the dark side:)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Originally posted by Shrike
Hopefully you actually get a useful reply instead of the usual spammers with their welcome beams and so forth....

;7  Muwhahahahah!!! ;7

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
That's... bad. If your monitor is all the way up, the game brightness is all the way up, and you STILL can't see ****, your monitor needs to be tossed.

Offline Owen

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was hoping there was an ingame trick to get it brighter because I wanted to avoid using the Nvidia brightness and gamma adjustments since this is the only game that has really been an issue but I guess there is not much choice.

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
You could always play it in a darkened room. That's what I do - since FS2 is so inherently dark, I put the blinds down and thus reduce glare on the screen.
Makes for a better atmosphere too ^_^

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
You might want to try earlier versions of the detonator drivers.  Have you tried playing on a different monitor?  Do other games have this same issue, or only FS2?
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Owen

It is probably a combination of the drivers and monitor.  All my other games seemed fine except for FS2 but now that I raised the brightness using the Nvidia controls all the other games do seem to benefit from the brighter screen.