Author Topic: Does Silent Threat get better?  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Does Silent Threat get better?
Originally posted by arthur_tuxedo
Well that answers that.  Good thing ST came with FS, or I would've been pissed :)

In that case, what are the best fan missions/campaigns for FS1?

Cardinal Spear and Awakenings are both really good. :nod: More at the VWatch archives.

Originally posted by Goober5000

Cardinal Spear and Awakenings are both really good. :nod: More at the VWatch archives.

Thanks.  I haven't tried Cardinal Spear yet, but Awakenings is awesome!  My only complaint (minor) is that it should have been broken up into 2 campaigns.  I can't imagine anyone giving a damn about anything that came after the second Lucifer's destruction.  It would be like having 30 more minutes of film after the destruction of the Death Star in Star Wars, people would walk out of the theatre.

Offline Nuclear1

Awakenings was good. It had an excellent plot and some decent voice acting (Admr. Porter got on my nerves though).
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
That one where the Vasudans try to take over that planet the GTA wanted to colonize was pretty good too.  You get to blow up a ****load of Vasudan ships. :D
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Vertigo1
That one where the Vasudans try to take over that planet the GTA wanted to colonize was pretty good too.  You get to blow up a ****load of Vasudan ships. :D

Destiny of Peace, I think it was.  If I'm not mistaken, that should also be on the Silent Threat CD. :nod:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by IceFire

It definately had nothing to do with the fans.  The only fan involvement was through the 40 someodd single missions available there (two of them are mine - don't remember which ones tho :D).  I had fun with ST...it had some great ideas and it stylistically lead to the SOC missions in FS2 which are more like uber ST missions.

I even got a mission in there too ;)

ST's main campaign has a handful of good missions, but the rest are mediocre or substandard.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hey... are .you the Adam 'Ace' Rorabaugh who created Cardinal Spear?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 07:37:08 am by 561 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hey... are .you the Adam 'Ace' Rorabaugh who created Cardinal Spear?

One and the same, that's our Acey. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goody goody. :) Ace, would .you like to join the TVWP? We'd like to see how we could integrate Cardinal Spear into our storyline. :)

What a coincidence!  Just got done playing Cardinal Spear.  It rocked :yes:

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Destiny of Peace, I think it was.  If I'm not mistaken, that should also be on the Silent Threat CD. :nod:

Duh. :p  What did you think I was talking about?

There was another decent one where you fly a Valkrie and protect a cargo group from a Cain-class cruiser.  That was hard as hell since you only got the default loadout (ML-16/Avenger and the heatseaker...forgot what it was called.  Damn its been ages since I've played FS1!)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Awakenings was good. It had an excellent plot and some decent voice acting (Admr. Porter got on my nerves though).

The guy who played Dr. Lang was great; he was my favorite voice in the campaign. :D

Destiny of Peace, I think it was.

That was also very good and had a lot of original mission and plot ideas for its time. :yes:

Offline Nuclear1

I liked DOP alot. In fact, here's my list of favorite campaigns (dang, I'm a nerd):

• Derelict- Gotta love Duct tape! :D
  • Awakenings- Yet another Lucifer killing
  • Destiny of Peace- Mmm.... Conspiracies...
  • The Regulus Campaign- Yet another gift from Peanuts, and it doesn't even include any mods.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, I gotta post this... every time I get an email reply notification to this topic, I see the question "Does Silent Threat get better?", and the first thing that runs through my head is a resounding thud of a "No." :lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, but you haven't played Silent Threat: Reborn yet. ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ah, but you haven't played Silent Threat: Reborn yet. ;)

Well, there is truth in what you say. ;)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
And he never will if we don't pick up the pace, gentlemen. :blah:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Hell, I'll help you pick up the pace by being a beta tester. :)