Author Topic: Help with 3DS Max animation  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Help with 3DS Max animation
I'm trying to do some of those Generic CB Anis From the other topic in 3ds Max, and I can currently get it to do a 100 frame animation using KeyFrames. Unfortunately, there are two I can't figure out which are stopping me from doing acceptable anis.

Problem 1 - I can only get Max to give me 100 Keyframes, and I want at least 150 - 200 for a normal length CB Ani. If there is a way to increase Key frame number, or render more images for every keyframe, I'd like to know.

Problem 2 - I can't do animated engine glows (hell, or even render still ones at the moment, but I haven't really tried that). Any help with either problem would be greatly appreciated (and get you guys some Generic CBAnis :nod:)

I'm using Max 3, if that means anything.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
As far as frames go, you can right click on the Play button and you'll get a bunch of animation options. You can extend the current animation, or add some time to the end of what you've got.

Engine glows? No idea.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
There are three ways of doing engine glows. I dunno if Max 3 has them all, but here they are:

1: Make two omni lights. Assign them an attenuation. Make the first attenuation slightly bigger (the blue part of the engine glow) the other smaller (white part). Now scroll down to atmospheres and effects, and add a volumetric light. Make the bigger light blue, the smaller white. meddle with the settings for optimal effect. Good, when you need to make things glow behind an object

2: Do the same as in 1, but instead of applying a volume light, apply a lens effect. The settings should speak for themselves. Radius is set as percentage of screen size.

3: Open Rendering -> Video post.
Click on add scene event.
Select your camera, press okay
click on add output event.
Select an output format (preferably 256 color bmp)
select the scene event, then click on  add image filter event
select Lens effects Flare from the drop-down menu, click Setup
From node sources, select the light you want to emit the glow from.
The rest should be fairly obvious.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey