Author Topic: Opinions needed...  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Nuclear1

All right. Since I'm starting my own campaign (and managing to squeeze in help SA), I have already stumbled upon my first Freespace Writer's Block[/color].

First of all, early off in the campaign, there is going to be a small group of research ships from a GTVA corporation in system (much like Tepoheh-Raleigh in Derelict). Should I name them:

[list=a]
  • Hephaestus Shipwrights
  • Triton-Nankam
  • Hudson-Calbot Research Guild
  • Name your own

Later in the campaign (not to give away too much), there is going to be a SuperDestroyer that will play quite a role. It's an Odin-class (thanks to Woomeister's Ancients 2 Demo) and needs a name.

[list=a]
  • Antiadon
  • Themotheus
  • Epimaerion
  • Name your own

Right now, I'm working with Triton-Nankam and Themotheus, but these can be changed if needed.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
Download a name genarator NAMEMAGE
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Triton Dynamics and Nakam Aeronautical are primarily spacecraft and subsystem suppliers for the GTVA and it memberworlds.  Their explorations would be similar to McDonald-Douglas or Boeing.

From the sound of it you probably want something like Interplanetary Expeditions from B5.  A not altogether evil organization, but not entirely trustworthy either.

As far as NameMage goes it looks handy enough as it has settings for both Egyptian names(Vasudans), Minoan names(Ancients), and a myriad of other cultural settings.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Personally, I'd go C, A, because Shipwrights (And it's Hephaestos, I think) build ships, and it sounds like you want a research group as opposed to a builder. Also, going with a fusion of two pre-existing names (option B) means you're in some ways limited by the already existing info about those two companies, and you can't allow your writers imagination to flourish to it's full extent.

Option A for the second category is my choice simply because ease of pronounciation = ease of association for the player. Plus, if you ever get them, your voice actors would love you from the bottom of their hearts (try saying Themotheus out loud without thaying Themotheuth a few timeth)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
For comapny names just take your surname and put "Developments" or "Acquisitions" ot something after it.

After all, that's what V did!

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Free Terran
Download a name genarator NAMEMAGE

Have this already. Got it from here (thank you, GE). The extra files have Roman (Terran), Greek (Terran), and Mesoamerican (Shivan).

Originally posted by Black Wolf
Personally, I'd go C, A, because Shipwrights (And it's Hephaestos, I think) build ships, and it sounds like you want a research group as opposed to a builder.

Heh... funny enough, that one came up as I was making the thread :D I think I'll be using it now.

Originally posted by Liberator
A not altogether evil organization, but not entirely trustworthy either.

The research corps isn't generally intended to be evil, just a civilian group that helps to introduce the PAC (oops, I've said too much).

Originally posted by Black Wolf
Option A for the second category is my choice simply because ease of pronounciation = ease of association for the player. Plus, if you ever get them, your voice actors would love you from the bottom of their hearts (try saying Themotheus out loud without thaying Themotheuth a few timeth)

Yeah, I see what you mean there. Themotheuth, err... Themotheus was the first name that came to mind, so it stuck around. But, I guess it was just to give it a name rather than just "SuperDestroyer" or "the Odin".
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

imagination needs inspiration
Working in a cd packing facility (music, games, videos, company promos) I see a lot of names for companies and individual entities. My "nemisis" to the honest company Galactic Technologies (incidently the name I wanted to use for my proposed comany in RL years ago) is the evil and insidious Glaxo-Reece corporation. G.R. often looses bids and contracts to G.T cause of thier unsavory business practices and poor performance record (and the hates my precious! ;) )

Try looking around your work area for inspiration or think back to the early days (50's & 60's) of our age of modern discovery (IBM, ITT, MIT ect...) think about WHO runs these corporations, their goals, behavior, practices... Make thema living part of your campaign and not just a set piece.

For me I have to write it as a fanfiction cause I've been thinking of this story for the last 10 years but not had a vehicle to bring it out to fruition. Now with the FS2 engine and the awesome modlers out there I can write the story and bring it to the screen also!  Before the first mission even plays ther will be an long background intro of up to 1 years worth of events and character interactions that although unnecissary for play, is helpful for character depth and possibly entertaining to read (plus you get to see how twisted my imagination is, can you tell what parts are made up and what parts are taken for RL?) :drevil:  He he...

L8tr!
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon