Author Topic: AI... again  (Read 7020 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Kara: No. I've seen what games look like with smarter AIs. The game is considerably harder with the old setups, but it's not insurmountable. And yes, I did read the entire thread. It's a lame argument. You ARE arguing against making the AI better- you're just saying it can maybe be better in some cases, if you go into the tables and activate it. Which is pretty weak, considering how much of a pain in the ass editing tables when you just want to play the game properly would be.

So in other words you`re too lazy to edit the tables and you think that everyone else should suffer cause of that?

5 minutes after the AI improvements are published someone will release an upgraded table. Stick that in your data directory and pretend it's hard coded into the game.

Sesquipedalian :  Is there any way to use flags as well so that Vasudans barrel roll but shivans don't?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
I think that would be harder, and require a reworking of the system.  Right now it just assumes that all options are available to all AI, with only the effectiveness of each one determined by the numbers in the table.  To make barrel rolls seperate from jinking, for example, one would have to have different strings in the table entry for each type of maneuver.  If we start down that road, the number of strings will multiply rapidly, and things will get very messy very quickly.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline diamondgeezer

So, getting back to the original question - could bombers be made to not just sit there at point-blank range? That was all I asking. Why do my threads in here always turn in to such big arguments?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Cause you`re trouble :D

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Why do my threads in here always turn in to such big arguments?
Because you ask all the really good questions.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
I think that would be harder, and require a reworking of the system.  Right now it just assumes that all options are available to all AI, with only the effectiveness of each one determined by the numbers in the table.  To make barrel rolls seperate from jinking, for example, one would have to have different strings in the table entry for each type of maneuver.  If we start down that road, the number of strings will multiply rapidly, and things will get very messy very quickly.

What if the numbers were used to corrispond to manuver types available?

So a value of 40 is barrel roll.  And 41 is barrel roll and looping and that sort of thing.  Doesn't have to be super specific...just enough to give some different options.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Well, that would be a complete reworking of the system.  Right now the values involved are plugged into the equations used by the AI for controlling its actions.  What you are describing is more like a flag system.

However, that does give me an idea for how it could be done if we really wanted to...

We could have the new $maneuvering string to determine how effectively the AI executes the new maneuvers available to it, and also have optional strings added on after it saying things like "+barrellroll: no" if we wanted a specific AI not to execute a specific sort of move.  Then perhaps we could code in an extra line onto new maneuvers telling it to make sure there isn't a "+barrellroll: no" string present for that AI class before going on to perform the action.

This would be more managable than making an entire new string for each maneuver, in that we only need to deal with one new set of numbers, and only those maneuvers which are specifically negated would not be used.

All that having been said, I don't understand why one wouldn't want the Shivans to do barrel rolls. :wtf:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 12:43:42 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
I guess saying which classes you dont want to have AI stuff is eiser and less messy than say which ones you want to have it. Its there any disadvantages to that way?

and they might not be shivans, infact (unless your a aformentioned 'crap player') they WON'T be shivans...
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
All that having been said, I don't understand why one wouldn't want the Shivans to do barrel rolls. :wtf:

Should have stated more clearly that it was just an example :) Of course I'll want the shivans to barrel roll.

Offline diamondgeezer

*does barrel roll*

Wheeee!