Author Topic: Why slash beams?  (Read 3848 times)

What the laser turrets in the game need is the same effect as the ones in the opening movie of FS2: the rapid fire laser bolts.  OR they need to do a whole lot more damage!!!  (One big green blob blows away an Ursa or a quarter of a cruiser.  Mod, anybody?) :shaking:

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Heh, I made a laser once... it fired blobs twice the size of your fighter lol :p Also I agree, the fire rate should be upped.
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Try out Sandwich's turret upgrade mod.  Apparently he made turret lasers a force to be reckoned with.  Link is in his siggy.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline diamondgeezer

Interestingly enough, I could only convince the fire rate of laser turrets to increase by upping the acuracy of the AI entry used by the turret. All logic would suggest that decreasing the weapon's fire wait should speed up the rate of fire, but my lasers refused point-blank to shoot any faster until I'd fiddled with the accuracy.

Now I've got warships defended by mini-guns and .50cal automatics... got S:AAB? ;7

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I made all the turrets' firing rates really high and slightly increased their speeds, which makes them far more dangerous.

Also, that accuracy thing is indeed really a rate of fire setting and does not seem to affect the actual accuracy at all, which is more or less always perfect.

Offline aboyce

Originally posted by Liberator
game designer: the beams eat a lot of frames on the really slow machines and thus if you have a beam that fires for less time you get a better light show for less system usage.

Like twice the sex for half the 4play;7

you could say slashers are tactical wepions for disabaling your opponets ability to shoot back (there turrents) while your main beems rip them apart. Mind you it looks stupid when a slasher is fired at a cruiser 1 km away and only hits the targed for 10% of the firering  cycle.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 02:03:37 am by 1209 »

Offline Raptor

Maybe the SCP'ers could do some thing about that.....

Slash beams would be much deadler if they were tighter to the target, or even stayed on the target.....

Of course, I can't really comment, since I COMPLETELY redid my capital ship weapons....;7
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'