Author Topic: Problem with VPView  (Read 1881 times)

Problem with VPView
This is a rather annoying problem I've been having with VPView.
I will go to start the program, and it will come up with an error message saying "Runtime Error 7  Out Of Memory"

Has anyone else had this problem before?  
I would appreciate any help

Relevent specs include:    
WinXP

Intel 1GHz

384 MB RAM (which can hold any reasonable sized VP file in memory with no problem)
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Solatar

heh, that means you're running too much stuff and you're out of RAM. If that's not the case, I don't know.:doubt:

i had the same problem. the thing to note here is that ur running it in winXP . XP has it's own way of handling memory and when u use programs that handle memory on their own other than what XP does, XP will simply give an error and shut it down, though of course sometimes they worked in XP before. better run it in win98 or so and u'll see it works operfectly fine.
when u run 98, u use full 384mb ram,
in XP because of it's internal memory management, u can use only about 256-288mb ram and that sucks....

(p.s... i have posted my problem can u look at it)

Offline Solatar

I have winXP, 1gig of RAM, a 1.8GHz processor and vpview works just fine for me without running in compatability mode.

Could you PLEASE spell out the word "you" and "you are", I don't think I'm the only person here who hates it when people do that...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Try freeing hard disk space from your Winchester, that should probably help if you are low on HD space. But I am not certain this works :doubt: - :eek2:  - :confused:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline diamondgeezer

Ah-ha! Another Winchester user! Fantastic :D

Originally posted by KnossosS
i had the same problem. the thing to note here is that ur running it in winXP . XP has it's own way of handling memory and when u use programs that handle memory on their own other than what XP does, XP will simply give an error and shut it down, though of course sometimes they worked in XP before. better run it in win98 or so and u'll see it works operfectly fine.
when u run 98, u use full 384mb ram,
in XP because of it's internal memory management, u can use only about 256-288mb ram and that sucks....

(p.s... i have posted my problem can u look at it)

I understand the whole XP memory management thing completely.  Unfortunately, i have no way of using another operating system.  Of course the compatability feature was useless.  Is there any way at all to get around it?
It has worked under XP before and I cant seem to figure out what might be different now.
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Ah-ha! Another Winchester user! Fantastic :D

Sorry, I forget you know the 'box holding data' as hard drive. I have been enlightened about this before, but it looks I am forgeting.:)

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline diamondgeezer

Not to worry, worse things happen at sea

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Not to worry, worse things happen at sea

Which sea?

Offline diamondgeezer

Take your pick