Author Topic: localized nebula  (Read 6807 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i thing using the asteroid system could be combined with the pof area definition would be even better. instead of each astroid being replaced with a sprite wouldnt be dense enough. thus the engine would be overtaxed with too many objects. instead each asteroid would be replaced with an area definition model to define the location where multiple nebula sprites would be placed. that way each asteroid would be a cloud, and a field of them would be a bunch of clouds. put them close enough together, or make them big enough to overlap.

an another idea you could use the object as an area that involks the regular nebula rendering code when your ship is inside it, then return to the star rendering when you leave. then you can have a few large sprites that look like a nebula from the outside.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
In and out of the nebula are moderately easy, I would think, even if the game just swapped between stars and nebula mode. The hard bit is getting from one to the other :(

As for 'puffs' and 'sprites', I would say all but some very old graphics cards can handle about at the minimum 2-3000 on the screen at once ;)

Flipside

EDIT : Let's approach this from another angle, how do the programmers feel about the likelyhood of being able to implement localised nebula, either as sprites, multiplane pofs (i.e, multiple flat planes intersecting so that a cloud texture can be seen from any angle - see Unreal's flames for an idea) or fogging?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 12:04:04 pm by 394 »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
dont do that multiplane crap, i use that when rendering interface art. it would look like crap in game.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL Probably a good idea, they do tend to look a bit like intersecting planes, no matter how good the texture :(

Flipside :)