Poll

What should we call Vasuda?

40 Eridani A (otherwise known as Vulcan)
1 (2.4%)
Achernar
0 (0%)
Arcturus
1 (2.4%)
Beta Hydri
14 (33.3%)
Delta Pavonis
2 (4.8%)
Kapteyn's Star
0 (0%)
Rigel
3 (7.1%)
Spica
0 (0%)
Leave it as just "Vasuda"
21 (50%)
Other (please post)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: September 05, 2003, 01:11:36 am

Author Topic: What star is Vasuda?  (Read 8315 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Eishtmo
Back in days long past (most of which you guys don't remember for various reasons) the original Freespace Universal Reference Project picked Beta Hydri for Vasuda.  I don't remember why (I think there was some reasoning for it), but ever since that has been what it is to me.

Interesting.  Beta Hydri stuck in my head for some reason - maybe I unconsciously remembered it from somewhere.  It seems to make sense, anyway.

Where was the old FSURP located?  Perhaps the Wayback Machine has an archive of it.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Flipside
'At first there was nothing, which exploded'

LOL!

My teacher explained it this way:

There are planes of space-ness like so

and one day, they collided like so:

and caused a big explosion in the vast nothing that there was between the planes...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Venom
basically, if it's in ST, it's wrong. that's it.

Is that Star Trek or Silent Threat?

Does it matter?

Back on topic. I say Beta Hydri, which is then renamed to Vasuda after the contact. Note that all the other systems on the nodemap have Terran names; I believe it's our culture to give things familiar names, while the natives give systems their own names. (I'm positive the Vasudans have their own name for Barnard's Star.) The Vasudan nodemap probably has each star labeled with its own Vasudan ancestral name. I know that the Scroll of Atankharzim's new systems have Vasudan names, regardless of what they may be called on Terran star charts, because it is told from a Vasudan point of view.

Perhaps Vasuda was chosen to reinforce the fact that it is a home system of a sentient species, and also to provide a focus for the propaganda machine once war broke out. Later the name was kept after the war, partially out of habit and partially out of respect. I'm sure the Vasudans followed suit, naming our home system Sol from whatever it was when Vasudan astronomers first named it.

Solator: The Vasudans must have known about inter-system travel; the FS Ref bible says the Vasudans moved out into
other systems quickly because their home climate was so harsh.

One last note: If you're looking for the old FSURP, it's still there. Find the link in one of the news posts on the front page.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
One last note: If you're looking for the old FSURP, it's still there. Find the link in one of the news posts on the front page.

But that's the new old FSURP.  If you'll take a look at Shadowman's post, he says that it's new.  Which means there was an even older version at one point.

Speaking of which, that site needs some more updating. :D Perhaps you should ask for a forum, and anyone who wants information on the site could post a thread with their stuff in it.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I chose leave it as Vasuda, but Beta Cygni also sounds good.

It makes sense that the Terrans would rename the system once they found out there was sentient life there. I chose Vasuda, because the Terrans call the Vasudans Vasudans, and it doesn't make sense for the Vasudans to call themselves and their sun such similar names.

But as someone said above, the Vasudans might be able to say something like "Vasuda". I can just see a Terran pointing at himself and saying "Bob.", then a Vasudan pointing at himself and saying "Woo-suud-uh" :D
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
I chose leave it as Vasuda, but Beta Cygni also sounds good.

Beta Cygni? :wtf: :confused: You surely point Beta Hydri.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by TopAce

Beta Cygni? :wtf: :confused: You surely point Beta Hydri.

Maybe but Beta Cygni does exist
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
yep, but beta cygni is actually part of the FS universe so it can't be used for Vasuda :D

as for Vasuda Prime -- in the FS universe Prime refers to planets.

If Vasuda Prime were Vasuda's sun, the shivans wouldve bombed the sun .... lol - oh, and imagine the vasudans building their houses on the sun - :rolleyes:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Yeah, I meant Beta Cygni is already seized in the FS universe, too. :cool:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Originally posted by Goober5000
Interesting.  Beta Hydri stuck in my head for some reason - maybe I unconsciously remembered it from somewhere.  It seems to make sense, anyway.

Where was the old FSURP located?  Perhaps the Wayback Machine has an archive of it.

Probably from me.  I made direct reference to it in the prolouge for the Great War story.

As for where, I have no clue.  It was created just after FS1 came out so it might actually be older than the Wayback Machine.  If the address still exists (something I doubt), it might be in the old Freespace webring.  If that still exists.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, the Archive goes back to 1996.  I found a link on Dark's site, but all I could get was the front page...
http://web.archive.org/web/19990508050826/http://209.239.63.235/

But Dark's page only linked to the FSURP via a numerical address (http://209.239.63.235/).  If someone could remember the domain name, that might yield better search results. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I meant Beta Hydri in my last post. :o
-C

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Venom

ah, didn't now the shuttle had interpolarized subnuclear retroconductors in superphase :doubt:.

I bet Captain Picard wanks with a quantumprotonconductor forcefield.

EDIT: I voted for Beta Hydri.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Beta Hydri, simply for the realism factor. It's one of those cool twists that make or break a campaign - just like Warzone (or was it Derelict?) had that dream mission. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill