Author Topic: Bug-117  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Howdy all:

This may be the type of thing you've heard over and over again, but its getting on my nerves... so, sue me.

Our resident Souce Code team is always egar to get feedback on stability to improve the successive builds.  I've had this but occuring with FS2 for as long as I can remember, even in Retail.  I have noticed however, that this bug occurs much more frequently in Open, say once every 3rd mission, or even more frequently than that if its a demanding mission.  When playing the main campaign, I had to replay "Love The Treason" several times, same thing for "Battle In The Wilderness", then later in "Exodus" and "Their Finest Hour".  All of these missions include lots of ships, but the bug usually occurs when a dammaged fighter explodes or crosses through the field of view.  The bug is a game freeze.  All motion will stop, the music keeps playing, and any looping sound like the aspect locking sound will continue.  If I'm using the afterburner, the force-feedback in my stick will continue to rattle it.  The computer will refuse to respond to keyboard or mouse commands and the only option is a hard reboot or reset.  Somtimes the screen will lock up, but if a voice wave is playing (ie, something that isn't repeating), it will usually resume after a few seconds.  I reported this in Bugzilla, but either no one has responded or I just don't know how to check for responses, being the noob that I am.  It is registered as Bug-117.

I'm currently using Phreak's latest Open build, though when playing Inferno in his INF_Open, I encountered the same problem.  I haven't tried the HT&L build, as I am a bit chicken.  Whenever I play FS, I always try to free up as much memory as possible by shutting down resource hoggs like ASUS Probe, Norton Antivirus and Utilities, and ICQ.  My system specs are as follows:

Athlon 800 (Thunderbird series) 200 MHz. FSB
256MB SDRAM-133
ASUS GeForce 2 MX (pre 200/400 models) 32MB AGP
Windows ME
Please note, I don't use the latest drivers, as they've caused some problems for me in the past, and are incompatible with certain programs.  I use the Det3 12.41.

I hope someone can solve such an error.  If however, this is a hardware issue, or something so deep in the code that it is irreperable, please reply as such.  Thank you all.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmm.... WindowsME may be the problem, or it might be some kind of compatability or stability issue with the drivers on your Graphics card, not sure though, mine does this occasionally if there are a lot of ships around, HT&L may actually go some distance towards fixing the problem by taking some of the weight off of the Processor. Admittedly, this has happened under HT&L but I'm still sure that was more down to the lighting problem :)

Flipside :D

i had this once, mabey twice, noth before i even heard of the VWBB, nevermind HLP or the SCP.

i am running win98SE, so winME can't be the specific culprit. it could be a win9x bug though.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Windows ME is just a problem on its own...like one big bug :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
Originally posted by IceFire

hehe win xp is the bigest known bug too :p
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

really, for running stuff out of the box it is more stabvle then win98SE, but the moment you update both packets, win98SE is more stable.

but if you are searching for the cause of something ME and 98SE are basicly the same.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Falcon

[plays game and encounters bug .... computer freezes... die bug die! scrables the exterminators :D]
*if it were that easy*

Hope it gets resolved soon cause it's happening to me too :(

Well, I'm on 98SE and I've never encountered this.  The only bugs I get are the occasional recurrance of the "press 'Y' at thy peril" bug and my amazing, disappearing HUD in the latest build.
#Bal kote, darasumm knte,
  Jorso'ran kando a tome,
  Sa kyr'am Nau tracyn kad, Vode an#

- Traditional Mandalorian war chant

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi