Author Topic: The 45 Ideas Of Kalfireth  (Read 18534 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Argh....

No it is not artifical gravity because it does not act like gravity.
It merly creates a pull, but that pull is a constant thing regardless your distance form the conducts as long as you're between them.

This seems a pointless riddle over tiny details, but those details are crucial!!!

If they had true artificial gravity then ships could be accelerated regardless their stucture since gravity is more or less a space affecting force, moreover weapons could fire at huge distances with immense power.
Finally you could simply crush an opponent using artificial gravity that indeed creates gravitational force.

It is the major and long-term effect that most cliche writters forget. A simple invention has a garmada of other uses and possibities than the one you've made up your invention for.

So please, take a note, and call this weightiness "warpspace" or "warppull" if you give credit to my idea, but even if you don't , please don't just throw in some new techno jumbo, or other force. One of the reasons I like FS is that it's consistant and an invention's impact on life is indeed handled and valued.

So try to use already existing things to explain things that wouldn't bring about any unnecessary irregularities in the universe.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Unknown Target

Which reminds me, can we have subsystems more easily damaged? I mean, I flew thru FS2 with one of my subsystems getting destroyed only once!

Just increase the subsystem damage factor of Shivan weapons.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Maybe the capships have some form of 'Artificial Gravity' and fighters don't have the room for the technology? As for inertial dampening, they must already have some sort of system, else fighters would not be able to break out a spin, since they only have forward thrust, and theres no 'air' out there for them to use conventional steering mechanism, so the ship must somehow have a way to stop uncontrollable spinning, for example, when you are hit by an AA Beam.

Flipside :D

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
NO GLOC

so sayeth Bobboau!
if someone implements it, I will un-implement it

now discuss something else!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:nervous:

So, hows the weather everyone?

Flipside :D

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Flipside it was seen in the transport command briefing ani (where you transport the shields in FS1) that ships do have directional thrusters.
It would be a nice addon for the existing thruster handling to display those too -this would explain why it takes time to come to a complete stop.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Turnsky
hmmm.. what about "debris Scattering" it's just an idea... but when a large capship blows up smaller debris would fly everywhere, and might hit ships in proximity, it would also be cool if they actually bounced off nearby vessels...;)

Uhh..... :wtf: What do you think model debris is? :wtf:

...and once more for good measure: :wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

I assume redouts would appear whenever your inertial dampners get shot away ... and you could have repair systems set a priority for fixing that ... dunno about this, haven't actually played FS2 in too long ...
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
If you were to lose your inertial dampeners, some of the turns you can make in a Perseus or Horus would probably be fatal. How about simulating the pilot dying when G-forces reach 10 G's or so?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
If you were to lose your inertial dampeners, some of the turns you can make in a Perseus or Horus would probably be fatal.

Not bleeding likely - not at a mere ~100 meters per second. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Razor

I hope this wasn't mentioned. How about adding the cruise ability like in Freelancer but it could only apply to fighters not warships. So....powering down all weapons and just converting power to thrusters. ;) And if it could be possible make something like tradelanes in Freelancer. Just change it to a subspace enviroment  and you get in-game inter system jump. ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 09:54:30 am by 581 »

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
If you were to lose your inertial dampeners, some of the turns you can make in a Perseus or Horus would probably be fatal.

ermm no. In Fs2 all the ships "fly" at an absurdly low speed. 100 mps is the equivalent of 0.06214 miles a second. Which is equivalent to roughly 328.09920 feet per second.  A Boing 747 flys at around 500 feet per second...

According to Woolie, a good population of Earth should be dead.
:rolleyes:
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Drew
According to Woolie, a good population of Earth should be dead.
:rolleyes:

Drew, you need to recheck your physics.  It's not the velocity that matters, but the acceleration.  Changing directions at 100 m/s requires different acceleration depending on how fast you do it.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Yes. FS fighters can turn faster than planes by far (ever seen a plane turn 360 degrees in ~3 seconds?), producing huge lateral acceleration. Not to mention engaging your afterburners causes a pretty big acceleration too.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I belive hat escape velocity is 11K/s... FAR to fast for Fs fighters, and hardly transports... The acceleration would DEFINATELY exceed 10 G's... I don't know the formula for inertia vs acceleration offhand...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich

Uhh..... :wtf: What do you think model debris is? :wtf:

...and once more for good measure: :wtf:

:lol:

After having recovered from laughing at your response, I think he means that the debris is more persistent, flies off at greater speed, does more damage, and there's more of it. Or something. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline terren

greater speed? I got the reverse impression, that he wanted them to move slower, so the battle would be full of hazards after a big fight. just my 2¢
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Hippo
I belive hat escape velocity is 11K/s... FAR to fast for Fs fighters, and hardly transports... The acceleration would DEFINATELY exceed 10 G's... I don't know the formula for inertia vs acceleration offhand...

Velocity has nothing to do with acceleration other than:

v=a*t

So it's only a matter of time *and enough fuel - to reach excape velocity.

Actually any persistant acceleration greater than the planet's initial gravity would make you leave the system.

BTW the actual energy is the following:

f*(m+M)*Int(1/(r-r0)^2)

In any case, what evidence do we have FS fighters would ever NEED to reach escape velocity? As far as I can remember, we've never ever seen them in a planetary environment. There aren't any ground attack missions. For all we know there's atmospheric fighters for that sort of thing :p
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
the tech room animation of the Lucy bombarding Vasuda Prime shows a ship leaving the planet from the ground.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1