Author Topic: better planets  (Read 11789 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Lightspeed
I hate the way vB inserts vB code into your messages. It's impossible to enter formatting after your text is written since it simply refuses to put anything elsewhere than at the end of your post. Especially crappy if you're inserting URLS or the like (gotta type everything yourself.)

:confused: I add in 100% of my vB code manually, and I did that for UBB too. What special tags do you need that you can't memorise?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
[ URL=http://is highly annoying to insert manually]this something like this or something like this[/URL ]

[ COLOR=skyblue]or if you
want to make[/COLOR]
[ COLOR=orange]coloured
lists like i want to
[ /COLOR] [ COLOR=green]then its a pain to write all[ /COLOR]
[ COLOR=darkred]the names of the colours, etc[ /COLOR]

then theres the [ quote] quoting [ /quote] since you normally get all mixed up with several quotes in your post. and, of course the quick smilie box.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Then enter it and cut/paste it from the end.  It's not that hard.  Honestly, how do you think we use the quick reply box? :rolleyes:

In reality, planet models in a mission simply take effort out of correctly making and placing good background images.  I can't say that they are ever needed, unless you intend to destroy them in-mission.  And even then, the way the planet would explode would not be, well, pretty.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 10:35:52 pm by 561 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I don't cut/paste, I highlight, drag and drop :p
what, you don't care?
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by Nico
I don't cut/paste, I highlight, drag and drop :p
what, you don't care?

Since that's a Microsoft-invented shortcut for cut/paste, I can't see any difference.  But it depends mainly on how close my hand is to the mouse.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
waaah don't use my thread for vb workshops :D

back to topic...
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Has anyone tried making the planetary atmosphere glow using a glow point with an uber radious? Since glow points use greyscale transparency, you could just make a ring texture with fade in and fade out to black. Just a thought. I still need help with making a POF model planet to be visible but not approachable. (background model)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Given the scale a planetary model would have to be at, I can pretty muich guarantee it's not going to be approachable - FS2 blows you up at 80 kms after all.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
firstly it blows you up at about 200 km, and planet models CAN be pretty useful. Imagine launching from a station in the planet's orbit... or even the planet itself ;7 (although you'd start some kilometres off the surface, certainly)

Real planets are really useful, as long as you're still able to use the 2D backdrop ones.

That glow point idea... well, i dunno if it will work, but i think you'd have to have a 4096x4096 texture to have it look good, and that would slow down most people again :rolleyes:

Maybe you could add a Planetary fog that creates an atmosphere effect when you near the planet too close.

I'm thinking of something pretty simple, like blending a screen sized ANI over the display and adding the atmosphere hue to it. But it'd be sooo cool ;)

Offline FreeTerran

well a first showable version are done atm its not included in the freespace 2 source code... the quality is atm not that great

plz tell me what you think

>> Download <<

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Very good. Next steps:

• Get the clouds sphere DIRECTLY over the ground, it looks... weird this way and clouds should really be close to the surface
  • get an atmosphere glow around it
  • slow down the cloud rotation about 100 times
  • give the planet a slow rotation (really really slow, maybe one pixel per minute)
  • animated cloud map support

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Actually, the distance of the clouds is more-or less o.k.

and it does give the planet the atmosphere look...
Great work FT!:yes:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Yeah lets not fall into the pit of planets rotating fast enough to notice it.  If it's a jupiter that rotates every ~10 hours, then yeah, you might be able to notice it on a moment-by-moment basis.  But for a 5 or even a 15 minute mission, you won't see a significant change in a planet's appearance due to its rotation, especially when it takes as long as it does for Earth.

I wouldn't call it a pit StratComm. From a certain distance, like today's footage from the International space station, the earth seems like its rotating but its the orbit of the station. Ships and stations don't just sit at an absolute position (actually nothing really does within this universe). I think its safe to have a rotation if the planet is taking up half the background. Thats my rationaliztion for putting a rotation on my earth.

Offline redmenace

Maybe very high atmosphere missions.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you are rotateing around the planet, then exerything else sould be rotating with it too, especaly the sun(s)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I hate the sun. Oh well. In my opinion, rotating planet models look better than a stationary one as long as the rotation is very subtle. I recall a nifty episode of Voyager when they encountered a planet that was temporally out of sync with the universe. Time was rediculously accelerated around the planet, so it looked like a planet with silly rotaional blur.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:53:02 am by 561 »

Offline FreeTerran

well the rotating thingy is fixed but i can't implent it in the fs_open source cause i ever got the freaking compile error "error spawning rc.exe"

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That's looking fantastic right now. How are you planning on getting her in-game? :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline FreeTerran

thats the point :doubt: i donno how to implend it in the source but i work on it so keep cool ;)