Poll

How does fs2_open perform on your system with the retail data?

I get good framerates even with other features turned on
35 (53%)
I get acceptable framerates with other features turned off
3 (4.5%)
I get acceptable framerates (30 fps or more) which occationally drop when things get intence
20 (30.3%)
I still consistantly get poor frame rates with htl (less than 30 fps)
5 (7.6%)
Unplayable even in htl (post specs)
2 (3%)
Htl does not work at all on my machine (please give full details / report in mantis)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: May 13, 2004, 12:26:49 pm

Author Topic: htl performance  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
I get 70-85 fps when things are boring, but when something moves or shoots, it drops to 45 and for about a second after something warps in or a communication starts, it drops to 20 (WTF)...

Could someone hazard a guess as to how much improvement I'd get by adding another 256mb of RAM to my current 256mb?

EDIT: This is all in 640x480 D3D8. I don't even want to KNOW how crappy it'll get at 1024x768.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
If you want to compare, i'm using this ( clicky ) for testing.

Simply note down the maximum, the mininmum and the average of FPS. (using -fps)

All my test results are 1024x768, using the new weapon FX and the hi-poly models. Everything enabled. :)

On the ANI test on maximum you'll need to wait a while for it to reach the minimum FPS.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Originally posted by RandomTiger
Best use an upto date version, the one in my sig should be good.

One problem with that, glows and shinemaps don't seem to work with the one in your sig =(

And with the launcher, if I select the checkboxes -glow and -spec, it says "Unrecogzined command line parameter -spec/-glow, continue?" -sic

This is with both 1_20 and the sig build.  Except with the 1_20 build, the glows and shinemaps still work.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Runs great on my AMD 1.2 Ghz Athlon, 512MB of RAM, on-board Geforce2.

In fact, it's so that I can't run the game without it! :D I get an FPS of about 6-20 without HtL.

Everything's switched on at 1024 by whatever the other one is.

Originally posted by ChronoReverse

One problem with that, glows and shinemaps don't seem to work with the one in your sig =(

And with the launcher, if I select the checkboxes -glow and -spec, it says "Unrecogzined command line parameter -spec/-glow, continue?" -sic

This is with both 1_20 and the sig build.  Except with the 1_20 build, the glows and shinemaps still work.

ive been having problems with random tigers version as well. The Y key works for once, but the energy transfer system keys dont, nor does the "print screen" key.

another thing is. there are glow maps, but no specular lighting, nor is their any "ambient lighting".....? to show shadows and such.

Offline RandomTiger

Try my newest exe, I think you guys have a special test exe!

Offline RandomTiger

Whoever said htl doesnt work on their system at all should contact me directly by e-mail now.

Anyone experiencing frame rate problems we are doing our best, please be patient and we will try our hardest to sort them out. :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 03:29:49 pm by 848 »

Offline diamondgeezer

My only complaint of in-game speed is the stutter as stuff is loaded. If I turn towards a cap ship for the first time in the game the FPS shudders, though whther that's from loading the ship or Lighty's fancy thrusters I couldn't say...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Using your speech build, RT, "I get acceptable framerates (30 fps or more) which occationally drop when things get intence". ;) Running a P3-500 (384MB SDRAM), GF4MX (64MB SDRAM), pretty low-end stuff.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you are haveing bad loading problems try turning off the comand line -PCX32, I'm thinking it's causeing more slowdown that I origonaly thought
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Eh? You talking to me? :) I don't expect much more performance out of this crate, but the only command lines I'm running are -allslev -htl -fps. Btw, I'm running at 640*480.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
anyone who is haveing problems with loading jitters
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Gotcha. Why not, I'll give it a go... I don't have the smoothest loading run anyway. Thanks for the tip, Bob. :)

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Bobboau
if you are haveing bad loading problems try turning off the comand line -PCX32, I'm thinking it's causeing more slowdown that I origonaly thought

It does double the amount of VRAM and system RAM used to store textures. If either of your RAM sizes arent up to it you will expereince slowdowns.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I get pretty good framerates on my machine but only after I turned off VSync. Before that performance was spotty in places.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline RandomTiger

That does make things faster but lighting may flicker.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It worked pretty well actually. I was expecting to see lots of tearing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline J3Vr6

Well, during lunch today I went home and tried out Freespace 2 in htl FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME.  I'm all gooey now down there.  It's so beautfiul!!!

Anyway, If there was nothing going on and I was all by my lonesome, I would get about 60 fps.  If things suddenly got real crazy, it would drop down to about 13-17 fps then would have spikes between that and 30 fps.

I was playing  with the media vp 3.5.6, the hi-res planets, and the latest shinemaps by Lightspeed.  The tags I had were -fps, -htl, -pcx32, -jpgtga.  I was in a single player mission that had a planet, a blue sun, and a lot of shivans and bombers attacking a Haphestut (sp?).  

Was playing at 1024x768x32 on a:

AMD 1700XP (but underclocked at 100mhz fsb which I'll fix)
256 megs DDR memory
Geforce 2 MX 32 megs
Win 98 SE
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by J3Vr6

I was playing  with the media vp 3.5.6, the hi-res planets, and the latest shinemaps by Lightspeed.  The tags I had were -fps, -htl, -pcx32, -jpgtga.  

For this poll we are interested only in results from the default data. If everyone is playing from a different set of data the results are meaningless and will not help us make good judgements.

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Unplayable on this machine - framerates are just about passable with nothing in the field of view, but drop to about 1-3 fps with anything on-screen. Most irritating.

Although, come to think of it, FS2 has always been a bit jittery on this machine, even vanilla....

Spec:
Athlon 1GHz
Radeon 9000 128Mb
512Mb Crucial PC2100
MSI something-or-other mobo
WinXP home SP1, loads of patches etc.
Any fool can pull a trigger...