Author Topic: environment mapping  (Read 30006 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by JarC
subspace took one look and just packed it in and left?!!! :hopping:
(pic)

:lol:
-C

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The pb is that they've decided to use the spec map for that effect too, which will always lead to things like that :doubt:
You either have a very shiny AND reflective ship, or have nothing.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Nico
The pb is that they've decided to use the spec map for that effect too, which will always lead to things like that :doubt:
You either have a very shiny AND reflective ship, or have nothing.

Remember, env mapping NEVER was officially implemented.

It will use the alpha channel of the shinemaps.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
After 3.6. After 3.6. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Lightspeed

Remember, env mapping NEVER was officially implemented.

alpha channel of the shinemaps... wait, I'm tired, thinking a bit about it.

Ah, so it won't be the same as the shinemap? Does it makes things faster to just use the alpha map rather than another map?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Not really a lot, but the main idea is not to have 4000 different textures per model :)

It's like using an additional 8-bit image along with the 24 bit texture (as it's 32 bit with transparency).

So you have a free customizable 'percentage of reflectivity' - and still only need one map for 'shines of all types'. As the reflectivity doesnt need any colour information the alpha channel is perfect for it.

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Lightspeed
[ screeching halt ] Hold It!! Backup The Truck for a minute....what you say? it needs shinemaps? ooooooooh...

....btw...none of the mediavp stuff is present...
so everyone missed that one huh?...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 10:46:26 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the version of the environment map build has lots of problems with skyboxes, like subspace, this issue has been fixed recently, well actualy a month or two ago. if you are useing a Radeon card try useing the comandline '-max_subdivide 2.0' (I think that's it) it will make everything look better.

in the eventual implementation, I plan to use the alpha chanel of the texture, this will be faster, as there will only be one texture load rather than two.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Bobboau
in the eventual implementation, I plan to use the alpha chanel of the texture, this will be faster, as there will only be one texture load rather than two.
??? Which? texture are you referring to? I mean, there's often gonna  be more than one version of the same texture, not? the same texture can be present as tga, jpg and/or pcx for non-32bit...so which ones should have the alpha channel then? the shine map, the glow map or the regular map?
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Personally I still feel it like a waste to force a specmap to be 32 bit adding the alpha when it normally should be 8 bit, althought it may be faster than loading more maps. I mean: the difference in kb size may be huge when talking about maps of 1024x1024.
Hell, I still draw even the textures at 8 bit since I can't see any difference worth of increased kb size (but this is also because I don't use lots of different colours)

Offline Nico

• Venom
??? Which? texture are you referring to? I mean, there's often gonna  be more than one version of the same texture, not? the same texture can be present as tga, jpg and/or pcx for non-32bit...so which ones should have the alpha channel then? the shine map, the glow map or the regular map?

shine map, RTFT
SCREW CANON!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Karma, how many times does it have to be said, that it doesn't matter what format the textures are in, when loaded there all the same once you're playing a game!

and yes, alpha chanel on the shine map.
the way it's curently implemented, we have the advantage of the tint of the shine map affecting the color of the reflections, but a third texture I think is too much, I was thinking it might be a good idea to use the alpha chanel as a multiplyer of the shine map, you could make everything but the cockpit very dark grey to have a very low effect, it would retain the color tinting properties it currently has, but you wouldn't be able to make un-shiney parts of the ship reflective.

and seeing as we have a fairly good number of shine maps now, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to turn off the the auto-loading of the defuse texture as the shine map, if the same texture is not used in these sections I might be able to make some optomiseations.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
and yes, alpha chanel on the shine map.
the way it's curently implemented, we have the advantage of the tint of the shine map affecting the color of the reflections, but a third texture I think is too much, I was thinking it might be a good idea to use the alpha chanel as a multiplyer of the shine map, you could make everything but the cockpit very dark grey to have a very low effect, it would retain the color tinting properties it currently has, but you wouldn't be able to make un-shiney parts of the ship reflective.

I think it would be a lot better if it used the alpha channel completely independently - white alpha channel = maximum reflectivity, black alpha channel = no reflectivity. Just like a second shinemap, 'cept it lacks colour information.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
So, if I understand this correctly, shine mapping is light reflecting off of ships, while environment mapping is images (the surroundng environment) reflecting off of ships, right?

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Nico
shine map, RTFT
ok mr perfect, we al know you know this stuf k? just finding out that the environment mapping I needs the shine maps and suddenly bobboau starting talking over just the one texture, I got confused k? so pipe down...;) and to be sure I understood it...what LightSpeed would like to see as behaviour is if I am correct, exactly that what bobboau is saying, use the shine map for the color intensity, and the alpha channel to control the shinyness of the reflection without the alpha channel having effect on the shine part...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 01:23:38 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Karma, how many times does it have to be said, that it doesn't matter what format the textures are in, when loaded there all the same once you're playing a game!

:doubt: excuse me but I can't read where the hell I was talking about file formats....
actually I was arguing only about the colour depth....and IIRC it was you and nobody else who said that the size of an image in game is resolution x colour depth, which will be twice than needed, if not more, then I can't avoid to feel it like a waste althought I know it'll be faster than other solutions. Sorry if I hurted your heart

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you said 8 bit, there are no 8 bit textures in game.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
ahem, (it's because I'm curious and not to make a discussion) isn't the number of bits=colour depth?? I thought it was 8bit=256 colours 24bit=16m colours 32bit=16m + alpha and that the colour depth (which mean if I'm not wrong the number of bits) affect the weight (I suppose in term of memory usage) of an image used in game.

Offline Langy

That's correct. And apparently there aren't any 8-bit textures in the game. Which is good. If it was 8-bit, the game would be damned ugly.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
actually all the original :v: artwork is 256 colours, and personally I still draw all my textures with that limit...