Author Topic: ATTN: Looking for multiplayer test victims  (Read 42066 times)

ATTN: Looking for multiplayer test victims
Bwah, I don't care about statistics nearly at all, for me its the experience all the way :yes: i have to admit that multiplayer mission was not believable and quite frankly was a piece of turd that looked like Volition cobbled it together in a few hours using the Terran Gauntlet as a template...

what i wanna see is a multiplayer game using mission 14 ("Nemesis") of inferno R1 with more humans on the GTVA side than the EA side. THAT would be interesting, considering that in that mission the EA forces are ridiculously overwhelming as it is...and the mission goes on for 15 minutes ;) took me days to beat that mission in SP. DAYS.

This might sound REALLY stupid, but um, what happened to the "real" PXO tracker?

The plug was pulled.  And if you want a challenge, try the Blockade Run mission.  Bobboau and I died a half dozen times each on that mission methinks.

Hmmm...a shame that FS2 doesnt support a 3rd party tracker like Kali (which is well worth the $20 reg fee, btw.) although...FS2 DOES support IPX lan which is what Kali is designed to let you run games with over its servers. So technically ppl COULD run games across Kali. I *THINK.* Not sure.

I think the Kazan solution looks nice, though. Just so long as Kazan, or whoever else hosts it, keeps hosting it :) hehe

re. challenge, i am referring to not just that, but also realism relative to an actual FS2 SP mission. unless the Blockade Run feels like that. STILL, I want to see someone FRED up Inferno M14 (Nemesis) for Multiplayer sometime. Muahahaha. I can't decide what side I'd be on if I were in such a game. heheheh.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 12:00:58 am by 1644 »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i think the plan is move it onto one of inquisitor's game servers

[edit]
gregster: cali isn't needed and would just slow it down - the TCP/IP connection allows you to connect to _ANY_ system - technically multiplayer games could happen without a tracker it just requires arrangement
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 12:15:23 am by 30 »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Yeah, during the game we played the master server died somewhere (which is why the stats didn't record), but we could play just fine since I was fine.

Offline jbond04

I updated to the latest nettest.zip build and now the game takes forever when "requesting server list", then it crashes when it attempts to validate the tables.  Does this have anything to do with the master tracker being down?

Im pretty sure that IS what it does if the tracker's down. it takes forever to "validate" and stuff then says login failed.

its not crashed. FS2 warned me ahead of time that the system might appear to hang if it couldnt connect properly.

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by jbond04
I updated to the latest nettest.zip build and now the game takes forever when "requesting server list", then it crashes when it attempts to validate the tables.  Does this have anything to do with the master tracker being down?

Yeah, I just tried it now 9:50AM EST, and the same thing happened.

Managed to play one game yesterday, and got my ass thoroughly handed to me. Though, I expected that... heh :)

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
ok, master server was on crack but appeared to have been running normally.. meh

i killed and restarted it

Offline Fractux

Yup it's working fine. I logged in with no problems.

Props Kazan for all your work!

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
things are looking up for the lobby... there is still gui present for it thanks to penguin

[edit] partially present... it doesn't function and a lot of coordinates are wrong for 1024x768
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 02:55:32 pm by 30 »

Offline J3Vr6

I envy you guys!!!  Wish I could play, but I don't have a phone at home.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Standalone works against!  You can all thank randomtiger for his promptness is implementing a software-stub renderer

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
new build please?

Also, I finally had time for a test game. It worked pretty well, but it crashed when we jumped out to debrief.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline redmenace

I will be hosting a game around 5PM EST
AIM redmenace7
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Post the build and I'll leave my computer on during the day for a standalone server (subject to be taken down when I'm playing XD )

Offline jbond04

Kazan, post the build that has a working standalone server, and you guys have got my P4 2.53GHz w/ 1GB of RAM on a college OC3+ connection.  I'll host 24x7.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
POSTED!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Kazan, there seems to be something really messed up.

It works normal for some time, then slows down terribly (most of the times still in briefing) - FPS crawl to 2, then to zero and the game wont respond anymore.

This has now happened 4 times in a row on redmenaces game. Could be related to lag, but has never happened on FS2_pxo.

I played a game with someone else earlier today and did not experience that problem, so i'm a bit confused.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
fifth time in a row.