Author Topic: Freespace 2: First Person Shooter  (Read 46429 times)

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Freespace 2: First Person Shooter
Originally posted by Ransom Arceihn
Well if someone's already making a FS FPS using D3, even if they won't be working on it for a while, then it'd be better staying with the HL2 engine anyway - that way there's a FS FPS for low end computers and high end computers. I'm interested in both anyway. And again, Doom 3 does not require a 9700. It can run on a Geforce 2 MX, as I said before.

u know what? All the developers of new games say they can run on Geforce 2 MX. Halo devs bragged about Geforce 2 MX getting performance just as good as a 9600.  Yeah ****ing right. YOu *wont* know how good performace is until the game is released so all this stuff about HL2 getting awesome performacne is BS untill we have experienced it first hand.
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

You know Drew, when a company BASES their ****ing engine around the fact that it SHOULD run on old machines, (keywords: BASES, SHOULD) then you kind of have to think its not just a company guarentee or marketing strategy. If they design the HL2 source code to literally RUN off old machines, then it will. No doubt about it. That was their FOCUS for the engine, as it was for the first one. I had a **** computer and it runs it JUST as well as my 9600 XT runs it.

Offline Drew

oh i assume you have "aquired" the beta test then?

and u know what? i can quote randy pitchford saying basically the same thing you just did. LIke it really mattered, i still have to run halo with pixle shaders off completly.  and i have a "midrange system"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 08:58:16 pm by 1243 »
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Actually I have. You can go to bittorrent and get the file, you just have to wait for about a week to get it, even with DSL. But that is not the point. And I wasn't talking about the Beta, I was talking about the Original Half Life, how smoothly it ran on my old, crap computer, and how it ran equally on my new, super computer.

But as I said, the company BASED they making of the source code SO it could run on an old machine.

BTW: When did Halo come into this? I wasnt talking about Halo, at all. I dont know why people make up subjects and we argue about them stupidly. But if you give me that quote saying "this engine was made especially for old computers, where the source code was altered with coding so that it WILL run on old computers"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:03:43 pm by 1718 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Ideally, if you're going to design a game for a minimum spec system, you set those minimum specs and work from that.  However, there is only so much that can be done with a GeForce2 MX, and that peak was reached about a year and a half ago.  Halo is just as valid as HL2 in this argument because it's minimum specs were supposedly fairly low.  Using the same argument you're arguing now.  As has been pointed out, they weren't actually that low and people trying to run it on an older PC got some unpleasant results (I would know).  However, because HL2 is supposed to be DX9 native, and because it is designed to take advantages of optimizations for DX9 on high-performance cards, expecting it to play crisp and clean on an old comp is not realistic.  On the other hand, the original HL was designed on a lower end and as such had lower system speed and memory requirements to run at its best.  It still runs smoothly on faster machines, of course; there's nothing changed that would slow it down.  But you won't see the same transition on HL2 going the other way, no matter what Valve says or what that illegitimate beta seems to prove.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Drew

Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Actually I have. You can go to bittorrent and get the file, you just have to wait for about a week to get it, even with DSL. But that is not the point. And I wasn't talking about the Beta, I was talking about the Original Half Life, how smoothly it ran on my old, crap computer, and how it ran equally on my new, super computer.

Well it was released in 1998. Seriously, if you think HL1 is a barometer for HL2 performance your insane.

Happiness is belt fed.

Well then we'll just have to wait wont we? But its pointless to argue because I'm sticking with HL2 anyway...

And Drew, PLEASE learn to read more clearly damnit! I was using it as an example to show that Valve made a game that could run EQUALLY on both very low end machines and high end ones.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:28:28 pm by 1718 »

Offline Drew

learn to write a little clearer. and learn some grammer while your at it.

Happiness is belt fed.

Be a tad more curteous and maybe I'll consider it.

I didn't go through elementry and middle school just for the hell of it Drew...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:39:36 pm by 1718 »

Offline Drew

sounds like your teachers had a hell of a time putting you trough it

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
:rolleyes: Play nice. :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I never said you should revert from HL2 to D3, I was just pointing out it runs on a Geforce 2 MX. Obviously you'd have to turn the graphics down a hell of a lot, so indeed you wouldn't see it as it's meant to be seen. And I do know D3 will run on a GF2MX, I've seen the alpha played using one - and that's an unoptimised program, so if it runs on those settings with the alpha it'll run on those settings in the final.

I agree with using the HL2 engine for this project, I was just pointing out that D3 doesn't require a Radeon 9700.

And can everyone stop insulting each other?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Drew

sounds like your teachers had a hell of a time putting you trough it

Drew, Drew, Drew.... *hands out cookie box* ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Originally posted by Drew
You need capital letters, sentences generally do not start with "and".

Oh, also... You're*.

;7
-------

On topic. Half-Life 2? Aaaahahahahahaha.......

Offline Drew

Originally posted by Ransom Arceihn
I agree with using the HL2 engine for this project, I was just pointing out that D3 doesn't require a Radeon 9700.

but it will require somthing better than a Geforce 2. Dont you realize most of the HLPs goers have TNT2s and Geforce 2s. Only a few actually have *good* cards. It would be alientating the fan base to make somthing they cant run.

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
How about using an older engine, like UT2k3/2k4? Can run on more platforms, both have vehicles (2k3 didn't have them in stock maps, but they were there), and it's quite a modern engine, to say the least.
Don't forget all the free stuff out there, like Nebula, maybe OGRE, etc.

We're using the HL2 engine. I'd much rather get to work on that instead of going out and then buying a copy of UT2004. I've got the HL2 tools to mess with it already on a disk, and so I'd rather get everything running again and then start working with the HL2 Modeling Tools. Drew says its much easier then he thought it would be, so I should be able to learn what to do fairly quickly during my easter holiday at least.

And Lightspeed, shut up...

As for you Ferrat, what's so funny about the HL2 Engine? Since everyone claims that "we know nothing about it" then no one is really in any position to judge...

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
You are one mouthy SOB that doesn't know when to stop
You remind me of charimistic or someone
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

You wanna talk about something or do you want to mouth off just like Lightspeed and Drew did?

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I don't mouth off to anybody, I know how to act in a public place.
This goes know further, I'm sorry they mouth off to you, ignore it
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years