Author Topic: How close are we to cutscene quality graphics?  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
How close are we to cutscene quality graphics?
actually. you can create primitive 'camera' positions and scenes using co-ordinate manipulation. I am testing this now.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Hey, anyone want to help me make hi-res textures?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Originally posted by Singh
actually. you can create primitive 'camera' positions and scenes using co-ordinate manipulation. I am testing this now.

please post in the internal with results.......
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
what? even with shivans? :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: How close are we to cutscene quality graphics?
Originally posted by LLivingLarge
Ya know how during the FS2 opening, the Battle of Deneb is shown? Look at those graphics! WE ARE SO CLOSE TO MATCHING THAT!

The FS2 intro was blurry and not that well done. We are way past its graphics quality.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

What is that Dynamic Glow feature included in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy? If someone knows, I would love to see something like that.

Players of JKA will know what I'm referring to. When its on it makes all the lights nice and...glowy...and the lava all super bright...and the Lightsabers look REAL rather than "glowsticks"...its the thing that makes JKA's screenshots so much more bright in the light department than JK2.

no im NOT talking about light coronas here, JKA's Dynamic Glow is FAR more advanced...its sorta like a cross between a light corona and an FSO Glow Map.

how do you get the hi-poly models (downloaded from the newest everything thread, hi-poly test missions, came with model file) to work in FS2?  Do they only work in a separate mission?  Where can I get that mission?  (file didn't include mission file?)
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

JKA's dynamic glow is most likely either
a) High Dynamic Range
b) Light Blooming

High Dynamic Range is only possible on newer cards I think (full DX9 support)
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Yeah, cutscene quality is SO CLOSE. God damnit... just too close...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Don't do Dynamic Glow.

It'll lower framerates by a huge amount, but it'll be so beautiful that you'll never want to turn it off

Trust me, I know! (runs JKA at 1024x768 with 2xAA just to get decent framerates with Dynamic Glow on)
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There was talk about installing an overexposure pass to the rendering phase but I think there were artifacting problems and it got shelved until after 3.6.  Dynamic glow would probably involve upping the DX version again, something that the coders are by no means eager to do.  However the overexposure effect helped a little (if it could somehow not effect the hud it'd be better, but hey) so we may see it again in the future.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Originally posted by [BoA]_Scoob
how do you get the hi-poly models (downloaded from the newest everything thread, hi-poly test missions, came with model file) to work in FS2?  Do they only work in a separate mission?  Where can I get that mission?  (file didn't include mission file?)

click the link under my name, and go to the SCP section for a great bit of help on FSO.

just dump the .pof in data/models and the images in data/maps
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Turambar
Hey, anyone want to help me make hi-res textures?

I can give you moral support. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
get your butt back in photoshop and give us more art!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
My butt was never in Photoshop, thank you very much. ;)

That said, I do itch for the renders again. Just got to juggle it with my growing love for my other forms of expression, guitar and photography. :)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Setekh
My butt was never in Photoshop, thank you very much. ;)

Setekh and I use Ulead PhotImpact, not Photoshop.

Although now that I can afford it, I am getting Photoshop because I couldn't make satisfactory beam cannons. Setekh must use SPIRE for the fancy fireworks.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
No, the Steak uses Spire... hmm, it changed name, but can't remember the new one.
He also still has to make renders with the ott ships :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm not getting into a conversation about this again. People are better off not know how I make my renders. :p

And don't you worry Venom, I haven't forgotten :p

Originally posted by [BoA]_Scoob
JKA's dynamic glow is most likely either
a) High Dynamic Range
b) Light Blooming

High Dynamic Range is only possible on newer cards I think (full DX9 support)

I don't know what High Dynamic Range is, but I know Light Blooming is what Deus Ex: Invisible War uses, and its a HUGE graphical improvement when used on DX:IW.

As far as Jedi Academy goes it is a similar effect but it doesnt affect the ENTIRE world lighting like DXIW, just certain dynamic light special effects like lightsabers, lava, and spacecraft lighting *HINT HINT*. The kind that DX:IW uses seems to be very different but it could be the same thing for all I know.

I'm just saying, even though it would utterly annihilate the framerate, I still think it ought to be added, just in case in the future some card comes out specifically optimized for dynamic glow effects or what-not (dynamic glow is a relatively new feature, after all, and new features generally get faster over time)...Who knows? It could happen.

And if it did...hooooooo yeah.

...but yeah to get Dynamic Glow we'll prolly need DirectX 9, not 8
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 12:53:23 pm by 1644 »

I think it may be over-exposure.  I'm 99% sure it's not HDR (I have not played or seen the game, only going by your descriptions), since that requires a relatively new graphics chipset and full DX9 support.  But who needs light blooming / overexposure?  FSSCP doesn't have that many light sources, and we have glows for most of them already (beam glow, weapon glow, thruster glow, etc...).  The only improvement would be a glow off of the reflected light on a ship's surface.  I think shinemaps make it look good enough.
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod