Author Topic: Directory Structure  (Read 5113 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Have I sad that FSO makes the pilot file corrupt?

Originally posted by kasperl
.. instead of being a egocentric "i know it better" kind of guy.

Same here. I have not said I know FSO better than you. You obviously know the engine better. I just pointed out that I am not changing my method of switching mods.
The 'FSO quits when weapon icon does not exits' and the 'How I change mods' things have no chemistry between each other.

My first thing would be to have a look at this -mod parameter and see how FSO works then.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 11:06:22 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

dunno, it could very well be that the no icon thing is caused by FSO not findinf the correct file because you prevent it by turning your files into a mess.

and you said FSO was unreliable, and all i said that it was because you made a mess of everything. that, and TC is getting on my nerves.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EDIT: Never mind.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
TopAce: infact kasperl's right - mixing your files can have that very effect - that is why mod is there to keep the filesystem clean and prevent cross contaimination that could and will cause crashing.

You're blaiming the SCP and us for crashes that you're expieriencing because of your doing, and you're being egocentric and saying you know you're right and you're going to leave it how it is even though we're telling you that's oging to cause problems - and infact it has caused problems.

Until such as time as you actually decide to follow our advice i'm not listening to any requests from you - infact i will personally go into mantis and close any bug reports you issue because I know we cannot trust them due to your corrupted FS filesystem

You know i refused to participate in the SCP until it reached a certain state of stability
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are they puttting some kind of special noob juice in the water today?

TopAce. Now that FRED also recognises the -mod parameter it's silly to  continue that way. It will cause you all sorts of problems and what's more it was never a sensible way to do things even before the SCP came along.

My FAQ explained ages ago that the way to install multiple mods on FS2 was to swap folders. Swapping tables is an inherantly slower way of doing things and also leads to instability like Kazan and Kasperl are saying.

If for some strange self defeating reason you refuse to use the -mod switch at least do the sensible thing and swap folders like I stated.

(I've just noticed that now that I've joined in the KKK {Kazan, Kasperl, Karajorma}are telling him it's the wrong way of doing things :lol: )
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
never made that connection again (Kazan, Kaserpl, Karajorma) .... (half :P)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Where's Kalfireth in all this?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I know. But since I'm coloured and therefore never going to be a member I can get away with it :D

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
ok.. then i don't care then -- i'm just really sensative about people making any statement that could "color me racist"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Kazan
ok.. then i don't care then -- i'm just really sensative about people making any statement that could "color me racist"

I fully understand which is why I made very sure I explained the joke :)

The batch files are online at
http://webs.sinectis.com.ar/dsusman/
There you will find a bat file (Windoze) and a sh file (Linux).

You must place the batch file in the new directory where you'll place the mod.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's not a bad way of doing it :)

I simply made a copy of my data folders, emptied them and then copied that whenever I needed new folders. This is a little nicer though. I may have to nick this and added to the FAQ/Wiki :D

Go ahead. Those files should be hosted elsewhere anyway. I've a 6Mb quota and I may remove them any day.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by karajorma
I simply made a copy of my data folders, emptied them and then copied that whenever I needed new folders. This is a little nicer though. I may have to nick this and added to the FAQ/Wiki :D
I'll do you one better.  I have folders called data_TVWP, data_FSPort, data_DEM, and data.  Whenever I want to play a new mod I simply rename the appropriate data folders. :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
TopAce: infact kasperl's right - mixing your files can have that very effect - that is why mod is there to keep the filesystem clean and prevent cross contaimination that could and will cause crashing.

You're blaiming the SCP and us for crashes that you're expieriencing because of your doing, and you're being egocentric and saying you know you're right and you're going to leave it how it is even though we're telling you that's oging to cause problems - and infact it has caused problems.

Until such as time as you actually decide to follow our advice i'm not listening to any requests from you - infact i will personally go into mantis and close any bug reports you issue because I know we cannot trust them due to your corrupted FS filesystem

You know i refused to participate in the SCP until it reached a certain state of stability

It is pity that [V] FreeSpace doesn't crash with all the files I have. So in a field of view, FSO is a backspace considered to [V] FreeSpace. High-poly model support: OK, shinemaps, HTL and other graphical tricks : OK. But graphical quality is secondary at me.
I guess we should stop this here. I keep my opinion myself, even after you do not listen to me. And feel free to close/erase all my bug reports in the Mantis(I didn't make any ;)).
And I tested this so-called -mod parameter. All the missions were displayed in the mission list, except for those I placed in the REAL mod directory(or in Windows language: folder).

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
TopAce: You didn't set it up correctly then - ESAD N00B

(directory: windows language DIRECTORY)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
that folder name is a little long - try trimming it to jsut RR - fs2 does have internal path size limits

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
that folder name is a little long - try trimming it to jsut RR - fs2 does have internal path size limits

You didn't recognise the error, do you? Same here, I have just recognised why the missions are not listed.
There is the campaign file. ;)

Sorry, I was stupid.
But I am certain that the crash bug when a weapon has no icon persists.

[EDIT] But other missions which do not belong to RR are still listed despite they are in the root data folder. Maybe this one can be blocked if I do the same dir structure for both Star Wars Conversion and ITHOV.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 09:08:01 am by 1079 »

probably.....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm