Author Topic: FreeSpace2 from Home of the Underdogs  (Read 3065 times)

FreeSpace2 from Home of the Underdogs
How do I get the game updated if I am running the FreeSpace2 obtained at Home of the Underdogs.?  When I tried to update it, it says 'old files not found' and then it doesn't update.:(  Any hints?
-Thanks

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
you can get Freespace 2 for free still?

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/stealth/

get the patch from here :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
If what you're wanting is the v1.20 patch, you can download that from this page:

http://www.descent-network.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi?file=/patches/freespace2/full/fs21x-12.exe&desc=FS2Patch_US_V1.20&size=1071

Oh and welcome to HLP, gimpy.

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline jdjtcagle

Setekh beat me to it :p

I was fixing to edit and put a beam in there
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I am surprised nobody advertised the SCP for this guy yet.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 11:51:15 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline jdjtcagle

I still don't think it's ready, IMO
A bunch of stuff is going on :nod:
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

[wiki]gimpyU571[/wiki]
[scp][/scp]

Check the links given, but beware, HOTU is between 1,0 and 1,20, don't ask me the details. Be sure to check out the SCP, the existing issues are fairly minor, and it makes a lot of difference graphics wise.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Also, check karajorma's sig...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
FS2 is on suprnova now. I dunno what version it is, but it could be worth a look... :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

That'd be illegal, as long as Interplay isn't bankrupt completely, anyway.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't think they are in any position to start legal proceedings and considering the game is more or less considered open-source abandonware, even if that is not how Interplay define it, I massively doubt they would be inclined to anyway.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
It'd be worth going to court to try and see Interplay pull through on a legal suit when they can't even pay their own lease, much less their employees.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Anyway, I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure that in England if a company maintains and supports a product with the parent companies' constent, and the parent company falls, the maintenance company can gain rights to the product simply because they are the ones using time and manpower to support said product, so they are, in essence 'keeping it alive'. It's a complex procedure, but I wonder if a similar law applies in America?

They might, and if you have the time to spend on it, go you. It would be nice to hand :V: a legal doc telling them they have the rights to FS, now wouldn't it?

Offline Arculis

Downloading the patch is useless for the Underdogs version, since if you actually read the first post, the patch doesn't work. The question was, how can you (or just, "can you?") upgrade the Underdogs version of FS2 to 1.20, since the patch doesn't work. The Underdogs version is pretty chopped up, so the patch doesn't recognize it.

And SCP strikes me as kind of wonky. Its not exactly new-user friendly,   and it has a huge list of checkbox "features" with little or no description making it impossible for someone with no experience to figure out what they want enabled. Oh yeah, and it messes up my options screen and the targetting stuff on the ship HUD is messed up on high resolution. Conclusion: SCP is scary.

And doesn't SCP have some problems running multiplayer? I tried hosting a game and it crashed. How does one get multiplayer support for FS2 these days? (Starting with the Underdogs version, which doesn't allow it, because its not up to date, and can't be updated.)

Offline jdjtcagle

Nope, and you could of been a little more clear if your going to be an ass about it!  The regular patch download doesn't work anymore and we get people asking for it all the time.
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

SCP multiplayer does not yet exist, we need Inquisitor to power up the server. Normal FS multiplayer is just as dead, mind, and it ain't gettin' back up either.

The manual has a complete listing of what every single option does, and then some not even listed in the launcher.  People, RTFM, please. And as for the targeting stuff messed up, post the stuff in teh SCP forum. How are they supposed to fix the stuff they don't know is broken?

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
And SCP strikes me as kind of wonky. Its not exactly new-user friendly, and it has a huge list of checkbox "features" with little or no description making it impossible for someone with no experience to figure out what they want enabled. Oh yeah, and it messes up my options screen and the targetting stuff on the ship HUD is messed up on high resolution. Conclusion: SCP is scary.

Wiki Wiki wiki go there and read bout Command lines http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: FreeSpace2 from Home of the Underdogs
Originally posted by gimpyU571
How do I get the game updated if I am running the FreeSpace2 obtained at Home of the Underdogs.?  When I tried to update it, it says 'old files not found' and then it doesn't update.:(  Any hints?
-Thanks

*Goes back to the original post to give the full list of corrections* :)

The HotU download is rather weird as it ships with version 1.2 of the exe (or launcher) but version 1.0 of other files.  The result is that any attempt to update it using the patch falls over because the file it looks at is already the version it's trying to patch to.

This is the problem that Gimpy is running into so pointing to the patch isn't much help (He already has the patch and has tried to install it, resulting in the "old files not found message").

Another version of the exe file can be found on the Freespace FTP (a thread at the top of this forum gives details) With this file installed the patch would run.

Alternatively you can simply download the already patched version of the root.vp from my website and play with FS2_Open.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Originally posted by kasperl
They might, and if you have the time to spend on it, go you. It would be nice to hand :V: a legal doc telling them they have the rights to FS, now wouldn't it?

If I read the post right, and there's a law that works that way in the US... then the rights would belong to the SCP people, and we could theoretically get :V: to agree to make FS3 and do it right as part of the deal of getting the rights back. ;)