Author Topic: random idea  (Read 1445 times)

This is just something I thought about while watching the Red vs Blue channel of HaloTV: Would it be plausible to make an RvB type series for Freespace?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Singh got ingame footage out, but I expect it'll be a lot harder because FS just doesn't have the potential for character interaction.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
It would be hard!!! IMO
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Most things worth doing usually are...
Considering I have no abilities in this area, I just tossed it out after Singh's comic and RvB kinda merged in my head, and figured that FS might be able to do something very similar.

Could also draw more members...
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Singh's comic shows that you can set things up in FRED without a huge amount of trouble.

My problem would be coming up with a plotline anywhere near as funny as Red vs Blue :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, there are motion capture programs for animation etc in-game, but as has been said, theres only so much you can do with the Freespace Engine, and with spaceships only, you'd probably find you'd have to do a lot of jumping into the game, recording a part, jumping out of the game, changing some textures or something for the next part of the scene etc, etc.

I think it could be done, but it would a long hard job :)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Flipside

I think it could be done, but it would a long hard job :)

Tell me about it.

FREDding single images for the comic series is quite tough, but 70% of the time goes into loading the game and waiting it out on this slow system. Then if something turns out wrong, you'll have to quit, load up FRED, modify and check whether its correct, again a process with takes LOADS of time with the load times FS2 gives me.
Usually, a full evening goes up in creating 2 sections, whilst it takes nearly 3 to finish a strip.

The first cutscene I made took me well over 2 weeks with me piling away at it over the weekend (sometimes doing all-nighters). The second (in the other thread) took me around a week, but it still took a lot of testing :p

It is possible, but as mentioned above, its going to take a LOT of work and someone with an ub3r system and maybe even the SCP guys finding ways to improve load-times and what-not.....
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(