Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211388 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]

Wot a load of rubbish. But you should be congratulated for the effort though.

[/b]
Such dismissal; such ignorance. At least you took time to read through it, so Thank you.

Believe me, I'm the LAST person you folks want as an adversary. You just don't know it yet.

As you were.

Wrong. We are the LAST people you want as an adversary either Mr. Smart. You don't seem to get it either; pity really, hand-in-hand, we could make this a success never seen before, but circumstances and actions from both sides will make this impossible.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Unknown Target

I'm tired of beating around the bush.

Derek.

You're an asshole.

Don't feed the troll

Offline Zarax

Mr. Smart,
may we inquiry you on some technical question which would be involved in the event you acquire the licence?
Thanks.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EDIT: Trying to keep it civil [UT].
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:40:47 am by 368 »

Originally posted by Unknown Target

I'm tired of beating around the bush.

Derek.

You're an asshole.

Gee, you had to beat around the bush to come up with that? You're not very bright are you? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Zarax
Mr. Smart,
may we inquiry you on some technical question which would be involved in the event you acquire the licence?
Thanks.

Sorry, but I really can't discuss such things when I don't even have the license. However, a post I just made on AVault may be of interest to you.

btw, for you overly gullible fools, the part about the beam weapons and joystick was sarcasm in order to make a point to the person I was responding to.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:40:07 am by 1991 »
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc

Offline Zarax

UT, please cool down...
Weren't going anywhere this way...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EDIT: Taking advice of others and trying not to instigate flame war.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Jon Handby
Not posted here for a long time. Been busy over at Egosoft.

But hey - you have my support...

Jon... great to see you dude, missed your presence around these parts. Thanks for the support.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
'Kay, people, please, let it go.

Bad form and all that, wot wot.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I edited my posts.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Heh, this clearly won't get us anywhere.
Maybe the most productive approach would be just to agree to disagree, let everyone keep his/her own views on the matter.

[Removed due to obsolescence.]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:47:03 am by 1077 »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
kv, I removed the stuff in my post, please remove yours.
EDIT: Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 09:49:06 am by 368 »

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Lace it with arsenic if you must.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Look, if the guy wants to make fs3, fair play if he get's the license. I don't want to buy it, esp considering his plans for it. However, what does bother me is his rumblings about legal action and such.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hi, Derek, I'm Setekh - co-founder (with Kalfireth, whom I believe you've met already over at AV) and project leader of this place.

I am respectfully requesting that you do not allow yourself to be incensed over whatever is upsetting you here. I believe you are mature enough to walk past this; even to turn from your present direction, make amends with us (as this community is willing at least in part to do with you), and have a positive conversation about the fate of FreeSpace. This is all we are interested in, as is the reason behind the strong reaction (right or wrong) you have found here and at numerous other sites. It represents a desire to see the best for the game and the community - though that desire is liable to disagree with others.

We are not a lawless cesspit. I invite you to stay and see that this is so. And, being the capable mature man you are, converse with us positively on this matter.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by vyper
Look, if the guy wants to make fs3, fair play if he get's the license. I don't want to buy it, esp considering his plans for it. However, what does bother me is his rumblings about legal action and such.

Well, i'm biting my tongue for sake of,er, some reason or other.  

But we possibly find grounds for a libel counter action, RE his calling of HLP a cesspit frequented by 'infantile' members.  Tenuous, granted, but no less justified than that which we could be / have been threatened with.  

Certainly GS could have complaint at their site being criticised in a wide variety of posts in various news groups (linking to quoted site), which they could probably claim as having damaged their reputation by consequence (amongst other things).

Either way, given the geographical distribution of HLPs' members, I seriously doubt we individually would have anything to worry about from legal terms.

EDIT; and what Steak said.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new heavily-moderated thread where Mr. Smart and the community can discuss the design of elements in a potential FS3?

Seeing as how I've been a FS follower for some time (since it was first released) I can see both sides of the fence. The people who enjoy your games, and haven't played FS, want you to continue doing what you've done with your games. However, FS and FS2, are different. The game is story driven, you can't have the game without knowing what happens, every little thing needs to be considered. And I read that you are (or have) contacted Volition to see if you can acquire the notes from the original writers and developers of FS. Which is excellent news, my only fear is that something little would be left out...and we'd be left hanging.

Now...before I go flying off the handle at some of your...recent...ideas let me make this clear as anyone can. Without using caps-lock:

1: Anti-fighter and Anti-cap ship beams are a must for FS3.
Reason: The GTVA made beams to counter the Lucifers super shield, which was invulnerable to all known conventional weapons in FS1. (Although Inferno *check the mods in the main forum index* has cap-ship torpedos...but it's a mod...therefore doesn't count as canon, but it shows that beams and torps are a deadly combination...just a heads up.)

2: It's a flight sim game. no joystick support and you're crippling the space-sim genre even more than it is so far.

3: Use help from us. The FS community. Most of us, live, eat and sleep FS1 and FS2. Not using us would be like not asking Volition for help with the main idea. (it'd also give you an idea as to what the buyers and gamers want in the next (final maybe?) installment.)

Now, I for one, am thankful that FS3 might be a reality...just...use the resources that we have...and build upon that...don't ruin one of the best games ever.

When Volition released the source code and tools to the FS2 codebase, they put in the public domain and you ladies need to go and actually READ the conditions of its use.

The source code means that we can do, almost what ever we want with it...(looks to the source code team)...doesn't it?

My post to Derek Meek was merely to point out that IF you folks continue along this path of action, I have NO incentive to let you use ANY aspect of that license if I bought it. NONE. Sure, you are all welcome to put your pennies together and fight me. Good luck with that because you CLEARLY have NO clue who you're dealing with.

We're people too you know? And we're also buyers and gamers like you (read that you played AVP2 recently, had any online play experience? If so, game on sometime?). Just remember who you're deal with. And...another thing...we'd get a piece of the license too? How would that work out?

That is all I came here to say. So please stop spreading stupid nonsense (such as this crap over at Blues about me using HLP and such nonsense) or it will just end up making me even more pissed. I'm NOT and NEVER have been a very forgiving person when it comes to those who go out of their way to harrass and libel me. Believe me, I'm the LAST person you folks want as an adversary. You just don't know it yet.

Oi...Put the guns down...We're gamers like you. I saw what little light was in this situation...I'm saying Good luck and Godspeed with your endevour. Also...another thing...don't make the GTVA Colossus 2...unless it can actually kill something...and look good while doing it. :thepimp:

Again, Good luck and Godspeed, Derek! :yes:

"I'm not here to win any hearts, blow any minds, organize cookouts, take long walks in the park or pass around the walm milk."   Then what the flip does this hack want Freespace for?  I say this community just keeps on with the Freespace upgrade project - he can't do anything legally, since the source code was released.  He would only have rights to Freespace 3, and not even be able to touch this project.  I love his 'threats' with the lawyer bit - he wouldn't have a leg to stand on, as far as I can see.

I say we as true Freespace community would outside that twit and protect it from being run into the ground.  If everyone chipped in, I'm sure we could give him a run at least.  I would gladly put down some serious change to ward off that arogant fool...
Fortune Favors the Bold