Author Topic: shivan evolution  (Read 8745 times)

Offline icespeed

i was just reading about the species on the main page, and there's a part which says there's a theory that shivans evolved in zero-g, which is why they are so strong, and can run around on the roof.
now, i'm no xenobiologist, so someone tell me if i've got some detail totally wrong, but shivans can't have evolved in zero-g.
Here's why:
shivans supposedly have some sort of support system, the equivalent of a skeleton. In order to evolve strength, gravity is needed, because strength comes from the ability to resist falling down. The support system provides most of the resisting interstructure, and strength. In zero-g, nothing needs to resist; there's just the old 'action and reaction' thing.
instead, perhaps shivans evolved on a low mass, high density body... moons, or maybe a comet cloud... or an oort cloud.
anyway, someone tell me if i'm totally on the wrong track...
$quot;Let your light shine before men...$quot;
Matthew 5:16

When I graduate, I'm going to be a doctor, and people are going to come to me looking for treatment and prescription drugs, and I'm going to give it to them. Is anyone scared yet?

$quot;If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.$quot; Romans 10:9

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Sounds right to me...

(BTW; I am not new, I changed my name... me = no longer Snipes )
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

You are wrong because they can live in space, dont you rameber the FS1 cutceen when the Lusffer jumped in the Shivans did not have space soots, and that means that they can live in space. Did you read the the info in the tech room, they said that the Shivans have only been seen in 0-G environments, you are right about their stragth.

------------------
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

[This message has been edited by StarGunner (edited 07-17-2001).]
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I was agreeing with the strength aspect. The 'Living in space' one, is a totally different ballgame.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
They're cyborgs.  Chances are, they've undergone significant genetic alteration as well.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by StarGunner:
You are wrong because they can live in space, dont you rameber the FS1 cutceen when the Lusffer jumped in the Shivans did not have space soots, and that means that they can live in space. Did you read the the info in the tech room, they said that the Shivans have only been seen in 0-G environments, you are right about their stragth.

Dude, she hasn't got FreeSpace. (She's just very l33t with the information she gets.)

As for Shivans not wearing space suits, who says that the exoskeleton itself isn't a space suit? If we were aliens and all we saw of humans was these moving plastic-kinda things with a shiny bubble on top (that's a NASA space suit, btw), how would they know that we were wearing space suits?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
well, then, they would think we're larves lol; shivan doesn't look weak and dumb in what you would call a space suit. Plus you can see their eyes and so on. What are the shivans, it's so hard to say that if you want to know, you'll have to torture a volition god (I dunno, trap him in an empty room, and make him hear only Britney Spear music?)
I do think that they grown in a zero G environment. Shivan never comes on a planet, their corridor are round with no floor, and so on. They're strong not because of gravity, but because they must, I dunno, work hard? Alwys doing stuff in their ships, reparing stuff and so on (imagine an ant-hill). And maybe they ARE weak, and so that could explain the exoskeleton stuff.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

Originally posted by Raa Tor'h:
(BTW; I am not new, I changed my name... me = no longer Snipes  )

I know why you did that.... you were tyred of your title   Am I right or am I wrong??      

Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Oh, no! I just caused a derailment!!!!  

I'm becoming you Snipes, noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!    

btw, venom may be right... and about that thing of interrogating a V god, trap hi  with a bomb in the V HQ WC  ... It worked once here in Port!
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
I've always though the Shivans were like the Gaim from Babylon 5, capable of genetically altering... well, themselves to breed different kinds of Shivans. The Shivans we know, the ones in the spaceships, are zero-g -altered space Shivans. That would explain them not going down to any planets. So it's possible that there are different kinds of Shivans that live on the ground.

I originally thought the Sathani were colony ships, holding the planet-dwelling Shivans. But that makes no sense, since they wasted half of them with the Capella sun, and they never showed any interest in planets anyway.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Originally posted by venom2506:
shivan doesn't look weak and dumb in what you would call a space suit

If you think about it, And if you read the FS1 tech descriptions of Terrans, The Terran race is a relatively weak species. Certainly not the strogest cretures physically, but mentally, dominant. That is why us Terrans are running around destroying Earth, and not the red-assed baboons.

As for the suits, Watch the Hallfight mve. Those were self contained space suits, And they were very low profile. There was no air in the Shivan vessel, atleast as far as we knew. So a breathing aparatus would have been needed. And if you look at the girls face, the one who screams DIE DIE DIE!, you can see her eyes. She looks right at the Shivan before... *POP*
And also, think about how many millenia ahead of us Shivans are. They may have been built with this "Suit" inbedded into their bodies...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Originally posted by Jabu:
I originally thought the Sathani were colony ships, holding the planet-dwelling Shivans. But that makes no sense, since they wasted half of them with the Capella sun, and they never showed any interest in planets anyway.

What makes you think that about 20 sathani was half of them? I'm willing to bet there were about 1,000,000,000 more on the other side of those Knossoses that you and Snipes found, with Xinny and Zero...  

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

If you think about it, And if you read the FS1 tech descriptions of Terrans, The Terran race is a relatively weak species. Certainly not the strogest cretures physically, but mentally, dominant. That is why us Terrans are running around destroying Earth, and not the red-assed baboons.

As for the suits, Watch the Hallfight mve. Those were self contained space suits, And they were very low profile. There was no air in the Shivan vessel, atleast as far as we knew. So a breathing aparatus would have been needed. And if you look at the girls face, the one who screams DIE DIE DIE!, you can see her eyes. She looks right at the Shivan before... *POP*
And also, think about how many millenia ahead of us Shivans are. They may have been built with this "Suit" inbedded into their bodies...

Of course, you're assuming that the Shivans actually need space suits to survive in deep space.  Possibly they breathe nebular gas, and are able to store it (like  a camel) over a very long time.  Possibly that's why they blew up capella - to create a more viable living space.

Maybe they can metabolise minute particles in space, or can live from sunlight.  Also, their exoskeleton, or whatever it is, may be able to withstand the pressures of vacumn.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yep. Assuming all, that is right. Maybe they don't need anything... maybe they don't exist, and are merely holograms, created by Petrarch to serve his every whim, and to bring on a war that he needs, to stay in control of the Aquitaine...

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases

What makes you think that about 20 sathani was half of them? I'm willing to bet there were about 1,000,000,000 more on the other side of those Knossoses that you and Snipes found, with Xinny and Zero...  

I meant half of the force I like to call the "GTVA Systems Colonisation Force"  

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Yep. Assuming all, that is right. Maybe they don't need anything... maybe they don't exist, and are merely holograms, created by Petrarch to serve his every whim, and to bring on a war that he needs, to stay in control of the Aquitaine...

Oh no... you've stumbled onto the Secret Plan!!!!  you must be sdestroyed.

Summon the Daleks!!!

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Isn't the entire argument pointless because there's no possible way we could figure out the truth?

Of course, that isn't going to stop people..  
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Originally posted by Alikchi:
Isn't the entire argument pointless because there's no possible way we could figure out the truth?

Of course, that isn't going to stop people..    

Blasphomer! You are not allowed to say such things!  

Back on topic! Anyone!

Offline Top Gun

Originally posted by Alikchi:

And what is the meaning of life?

The Shivans seem to move around their ships by clinging to ridges in the tunnels with their claws. We don't know the crew sizes for the ships, so perhaps there may be a relatively small number of Shivans with the responsibility of piloting very large ships, so they might build up their stregnth by travelling great distances along these tunnnels to get to variuos areas of their ships.
    Although in appearence they don't seem that different from the ships they fly(beams and bug like characteristics). Perhaps the Shivan ships are a different spicies of shivan.

[This message has been edited by Top Gun (edited 07-18-2001).]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Harg... no, shivan ships are definitively not organic...Damn derelict lol  
Have you ever seen an organic creature with sensors and turrets, with beams?
Ok, more seriously, an organic creature wouldn't be affected by disruption weaponary, it would bleed when hit, something like that,and the shivan would have the same kind of weapons, olny smaller, not those plasma launchers.
Plus look at the ships... do they look organic? That's metal, for sure.
Volition did thought about the shivan ships as organic ships (look at the apocalypse concept pic, it's obvious), but it's also clear they trashed the idea. Vasudian ships are probably more close of the organic ship (look at the strange green "veins" on the anubis, if you don't believe me...)
For the vacuum stuff in the shivan ship (hall fight cutscene)... That's not vacuum. Put a terran in space vacuum without spacesuit to see what happens ( summary: it freezes in half a secon).
For the shivans breathing nebulaes... Damn, don't you think they have enough nebulaes in the universe not to blow Capella to have one more? lol
Well, after all, you know what I think   (look above if not )
SCREW CANON!