Author Topic: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?  (Read 76221 times)

Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
Finished  Sol: A history and Gehenna's Gate, part of the Series Resurrecta .
Just started The Spirit of Ptah.

All these campaigns have been great fun.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Gate slipped sunder my radar when it released.   I plan on rectifying that mistake.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I have a horrible confession to make. I not only have not played FS2 in well over a decade. I have never played a player made campaign or mod outside the one I worked on myself.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Play derelict..... Play it now.   That needs to be everybody's first non retail campaign.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I have a horrible confession to make. I not only have not played FS2 in well over a decade. I have never played a player made campaign or mod outside the one I worked on myself.

You should definitely make up for it. There are soooo many campaigns around there that deserved to be played... and re-played.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Windmills is nice and short but...... Wow.  What a ride.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Just finished the Unification war.
 I learned that with out the tech (targeting and such) I am a crappy pilot.  It was entertaining and challenging campaign.
 I have just started Frontlines.

I have been playing Into the depths of Hell.
It has been great, a long campaign with lots of twists and turns.
A few glitches here and there but nothing to take away from the fun.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
BP AoA, the rest of BP inc the new Neptune mission next.

If you want a challenge I highly recommend  Bem Cavalgar. I feel every one should try it at least once. The behaviour of the Shivans has been tweaked so they all circle strafe, fly sideways, backwards etc. which makes the game a hell of a lot harder. Seriously, BC on medium is on par with most campaigns on very hard. Even Fury AI campaigns seem tame in comparison. Just surviving is a challenge.

Thankfully you don't fail a mission if you jump out early, it just makes you feel bad by telling you how many people died because of it, and you will have less resources for your next mission. Plus you can choose which missions to take part in - but you can only do half of them per play-through since you can't be in two places at once. Do you save civvies, or military targets, since you can't save both.

Its the only time I have played FS in a LONG time where I truly felt like a victim, and not "I AM ALPHA ONE, HEAR ME ROAR!!!". Instead, I ended up feeling like the universe's ***** and wanting to cry out for mummy to take me home.  :lol:  It actually made me feel just how desperate the fight against the Shivans in Vasuda would have felt if I were a Vasudan and it was real.

A few hints to help you survive more than about sixty seconds  ;)

1: When chasing and shooting a fighter after you land a few shots it will pivot on its axis 180 degrees so its facing you and will start shooting back. Considering that both the  Shivan's shields and weapons* are MUCH stronger in this campaign you can't play chicken with them and expect to win. Hit and run tactics are your best bet.  Wear down its shields a bit then break off. Then re-engage and wear them down a bit more and break off again, rinse and repeat until its dead.

*Think what being on the receiving end of TEV Balors in BP is like. Now imagine every Shivan fighter and bomber having these.

NB - Basilisks now have shields stronger than a vanilla Seraphim. Scorpions and ****ans have shields about as strong as a vanilla Nephilim, and a Nephilim (when you include its shields) takes almost as many hits to kill as a vanilla Fenris. Remember that first mission in retail FS1 when you engage the Scorpion and ****ans with your utterly ineffective guns? Its almost like that - EVERY. SINGLE. MISSION. At least your sensors work...

2) ...unless they get knocked out that is, which is quite likely if you get hit by a missile. Missiles hurt A LOT in BC and will likely wreck multiple subsystems if you get hit by one.

3) If a fighter gets on your a$$ target it then spam the 'attack my target' command to all your wingmen, this should save you.  Also, stick close to your wingmen and keep them alive, as you will NOT survive on your own. Let them go ahead of you then shoot at the Shivans shooting at them - this is probably the best way how to prioritise targets.

4) When the Shivans send in reinforcements of hunter-killer teams - usually consisting of Dragons (which have shields at least as strong as a vanilla Basilisk) - its time to drop everything and jump out. Order your wingmen to do likewise otherwise they will get schwacked and will not be available in the next mission. Any mission objectives not completed by this point will just have to stay uncompleted, because even mere survival is unlikely if you hang around.

So, good luck with that  :lol:  I may even replay it on Hard and Insane just to see how quickly it hands me my a$$  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Glowhyena

• PC Gamer
    • Steam
Last week, I started playing Descent: FreeSpace under FSO. So, today, finished the first game on a medium difficulty level, then started with the expansion Silent Threat on the same difficulty level.

I don't know if this topic is too old to post a message. If so, I'm sorry!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 12:05:59 am by Glowhyena »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Battleships Forever (yes it works on Windows 10).