Author Topic: SCP support Directx 9?  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Fear
ma kora gever?

I'm always interested in finding out about Israeli FS2ers, considering that FS2 was - AFAIK - never released here. How'd you come across it/us? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Whichever the latest drivers from the Radeon site are. Im running them on my Radeon 9600Xt. I have always had shinemaps.:nod:

What's your OS?  If you're using Win98, then that's the reason you've still got shine.  ATI doesn't make any Cat drivers for 98 newer than v4.2, so if you're in that boat, you pretty much won't have to worry about losing shine.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bri_Dog

What kind of stuff would DX9 let us do?
Sig

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The main one is shading on a per-pixel basis instead of a per-vertex one, though there are other advantages as well :)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
On a side note (to avoid a whole new thread) do we have support for ani's as background images yet?

If not, I wish to know before wasting several hours of my life.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, there in there
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Pixel shaders are in DX8 as well.  DX9 gives us Shaders 2.0 which are, in general, nicer than the 1.4/1.1 shaders.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If it doesn't break support with 'older' cards that can still run the SCP at decent framerates with decent effects. (ie GeForce4 MX440)

I don't think we've even fully utilized DX8 or HT&L yet though.
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I wesh we had HDR+Light blooming (by the way, how are those two related, does HDR allow calculations precise enough for blooming?)
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Fear

Originally posted by Sandwich

I'm always interested in finding out about Israeli FS2ers, considering that FS2 was - AFAIK - never released here. How'd you come across it/us? ;)

I think u are wrong. FS1 shipped to israel though no 1 bought it.... i found it for 50 nis in the year 2000. after i finished it i convinced my parents to go look FS2.

FS1 was the best game i have ever played, when i played FS2 i felt like it was better than fs1. after alittle bit of searching i found out that FS3 wont going to be released. but a good side came out of it ... i found this fourm ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I know FS1 came here - that's how I got it - but I never saw FS2.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

This is in response to ATI users.  Catalyst 4.5, 4.6, and 4.7 all have broken shinemapping for me.  I'm using a 9800XT.  Catalyst 4.4 does not break shinemapping for me.:yes:

Offline Fear

Yea i moved back to 4.4 now shine work..

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
While we're on the subject, some Beta Cat drivers listed as 4.8 are available, though if you read the descriptions on the site they say that they are not released as Beta 4.8, but as an upgraded Beta of 4.7.  In any case here are the drivers for your testing pleasure... do so at your own risk.

Later!

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Whenever ATi fixes their drivers.  For now, revert back to an older set of Cats.

Or until someone around here hacks it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Originally posted by FireCrack
I wesh we had HDR+Light blooming (by the way, how are those two related, does HDR allow calculations precise enough for blooming?)

It doesn't.  I don't really know why people keep associating HDR with the glow blooms.

HDR == ultra-realistic lighting

Blooming == slap a shader on top of a glow or some kind of blending
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 12:12:28 am by 998 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Another pointless bump, but this is the best place I can see to post this.  This is not for the faint of heart, n'or the unskilled driver jockey, but for the adventurous owners of ATI cards that seek better OGL performance.  ATI has released some very, very, BETA Cat drivers, labelled at 4.9.  Some documentation I've read indicates that these aren't even scheduled for release until September, but that the official 4.8s should be out soon.  These drivers are part of a project to improve the Radeon family's OGL performance, with DOOM-3 in mind... therefore, their BETA BETA release is timed to co-incide with that game's release this past weekend.  They may improve FSO's OGL performance for ATI users, or they may turn your PC into a molten paperweight ( :rolleyes: ), either way I thought I'd post this for those who have the courage.

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

Later!

Offline Fear

4.9 was design to improve the X800 fps in doom3. beside every card below pro 9800 there wont be much of a change in the fps.
though its still cool, to recive an bonus of 5-6fps because of a driver that was design to improve 1 game :D

FS1 was released here, thats how I found it, FS2, however, wasn't :P

So another israeli here, thats what? 3? Fear, you'll find I don't post here alot, or more like not at all, so make that 2 :P

on the shine maps, I havn't tried yet, do they work on a 9700?

On the question of 6800 to X800? simply, today, with todays games, go for 6800GT, whose standerd cooler allows you to reach 6800 ultra levels.

Offline Fear

how can u tell?
doom was tested and was built with nvidia cards, they completley designed it to work on nvidia cards the best.
while HL2 will work on ati cards the best, for the same reason...

beside we are 3 its cool;)