Author Topic: Manticore and Dragon: The first encounter...  (Read 6745 times)

Manticore and Dragon: The first encounter...
I believe in the one with the Ramses, when the Taranis gets below something like 30% hull integrity, the Taranis jumps out and command tells you to return to base.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I haven't played FS1 since getting FS2, but I have played the Port.  I have found that more recent versions of the Port have the bug in the Ramses mission, which prevents the shivans from firing on the Ramses.  They'll shoot at anything else though.  I've take a look through the sexps and can find no reason for this.  As far as the Taranis is concerned, in the Port, if you either nearly disable, disarm, or destroy the Taranis, the Ramses self-destructs and the Taranis warps out.

I've never been crazy enough to try to engage the Taranis in 'Pandorda's Box' and I usually ignore everything but the cargo and sentries.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: Manticore and Dragon: The first encounter...
Originally posted by LLivingLarge
How many Manticores and Dragons were you able to take down in the "exploding cargo depot" mission in FS1? *WITHOUT CHEATING*

I've taken down 2 Manticores, those Dragons are too fast.

(Bonus: Have you ever destroyed the Cain that jumps in?)

I dunno,  I destroyed a lot of Manticores, but few Dragons. I spent ~20 minutes guarding the Ramses before I finally gave up and left.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Originally posted by Blaise Russel
Yes, the one with the Ramses.

I always got stuck on that mission because the Shivans were too incompetant to actually destroy the Aten cruiser, so I always ended up floating around, waiting for the mission to end.

LOL, yeah I had to hide behind it so the taranis would hit the Aten :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
*is suprised Goober didn't swoop down to explain the exact details of the FS1 missions*

/me will do so instead.

I have destroyed all of them (with the exception of Arjuna since they have 100 waves), on Medium. Barring the multiple waves of Arjuna, there's only 13 fighters, and 6 Sentries. You do know that you can target the fighters, right? And plus, FS1 wingmen weren't nearly as stupid as  FS2 wingmen, and could actually help you. (Hence, why I am making AHTW for FS1)...

Last point, you all know it was worthless to cheat in FS1 anyway, just because it may help you with one mission, but then not the rest, right? Or am I making too many assumptions?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
if you're good, you can take down a dragon from a distance with a PhoenixV rocket.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
true, with a hear on or dead on rear hit, but they weren't available here... only the ML-16, MX50 and Fury's...

AHTW

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Hippo
true, with a hear on or dead on rear hit, but they weren't available here... only the ML-16, MX50 and Fury's...

good point.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That's the only way I took down Dragons - one Phoenix V, impeccable timing, and they're no problem. On Insane, there's no other way to take them down - they just evade too much to take down with primaries. :shaking: Had to use my Phoenix Vs during A Failure To Communicate.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
and evade missiles pretty damn well too... But, that is why its Insane, isn't it ;)

AHTW

I use Tempests. Takes me just a few seconds to take a dragon down. Use the primaries to soften up the rear shield, and then fire a few voleys of dumbfire missiles. Never fails!
;7
The dumbfire missile is my favorite missile, followed by the Trebuchet. All the others are either too weak, or too slow. Waste of bank space, if you ask me.

:ick:
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War

FS1

Dragons are a LOT easier in FS2...

AHTW

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep

FS1

Yep, they don't even seem that agile. Enter the Dragon was goddamn annoying in FS1.
lol wtf

FS1

I have to disagree with you on that. When i first read that, i wasn´t sure, because i hadn´t still encountered Dragons on FS1 (started playing the port yesterday). And so i waited ti´ll i face them in FS, so that i could compare them. But now that i have faced them, i have to say that they are equally as hard to kill on both FS1 and FS2. The only diference being the weapons the player has to kill it. In FS2 you have better guns, and that´s it. I faced the Dragon on both campaigns, and only found a minimal diference between them. Their shield recharges a bit faster in FS, and our weapons are weaker.
It could also depend on wether you play on "insane" dificulty, or not. I played both in the same level of dificulty, and found no diferences in their behaviour.
Note  that whenever a shivan is taking fire from both you and your wingmen, they fly more erradically. Could be that that´s why some thought it was harder to kill...
And note also that most small ships in FS have a harder hull. It´s crazy that a transport is as hard to kill as a cruiser!!

A piece of advice when fighting Dragons:
stop your engine, or at least slowdown to a crawl. They will fly around you, just begging for you to place a rocket up their tail pipe!:D
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No, see, FS1 dragons behave differently in the FS1 engine. You cannot play the port and expect it to be the same. Everything was slower in FS1, and the Shivans pwned you with only 2 or 3 ships, unlike the 5 or 6 that spawn simultaneously in FS2. And in the Port.

If you can grab a copy of FS1, I suggest you do so, or else you'll never know what you're missing.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It's strange. I was chasing Arjuna 1 for at least five minutes until I managed to disable it in the port. I can disable it in 30 seconds in FS1.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
FS2 does feel alot faster and more maneuverable. Perhaps your responses are more tuned towards FS2 than 1, making most FS1 ships feel cumbersome?

Just a guess. :)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
First time, it took me a while to disable it, but now, i can have it done in under a minute... Its just getting used to the D-Advanced that helps, since it fires slowly, so you have to aim perfectly.

I agree with mr Tor'h in the fact, that you cannot claim to have played FS1 by playing the port. The port is still great, but it isn't FS1, because they are both EXTREMELY different... Thats why while i play on medium on FS1, i can play the exact same mission on Insane in the port, and have the same results...

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...I agree with mr Tor'h in the fact, that you cannot claim to have played FS1 by playing the port....

Sometimes I cannot understand where people get ideas like these from. I didn't state with a single word that I played FS1 only by the charity of the Port. I did complete the [V] FS1 at least 15 times.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I didn't mean you ;) I meant people who download the port, then say they've played FS1

AHTW