Author Topic: Don't hate me...  (Read 5461 times)

Originally posted by Ghostavo

:wtf: :mad:

Where is their HQ so I can pay them a visit?

Come on, the game was great fun, not as good as FS, but remember, FS today is a niche game, and as much as I like it, it has flaws.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Sure the game is good... but not THAT good... :mad:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

What would you prefer? Half Life? its a over hyped game, that when playing, unless you were in 98 and that was the state of art, lacking.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I think it is.  IT's definately provided more gameply time than any other game I own or have owned, on any format.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Something like say... Homeworld, or... Wipeout, even Civ II. If you want something with a lot of gameplay time, go buy yourself a chess engine :p
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Something like say... Homeworld, or... Wipeout, even Civ II. If you want something with a lot of gameplay time, go buy yourself a chess engine :p

Or GC.

Lets not kid ourselves, FS isn't going to go much higher, but neither should PCG UK get off with firebombing, mails people.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I don't even want to play any of those.  Wipeout, in particular, was pretty poor IIRC.  and i'd much rather have a game that keeps me entertained for 110+ hours as VC has, than one which only lasts about 10 (like Call of Duty... great as it was, it's still far too short).

Anyways, it's all about opinion.  I agree with theirs RE: GTA:VC.  You don't.  'nuiff said.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I liked Half-Life... (I only got it 4 months ago)...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Both GTA 3 and GTA:VC are awesome, and GTA:VC deservs that spot there
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing

Oh, so Volition is some sort of God, is it? If they don´t make it, it´s not FS3? That´s bull!!

They aren't called the [V] gods for nothing ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Originally posted by Lightspeed

/Sarcasm

thats what you call every dev. :p

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
First, I would like to address the topic on "eye-candy".  If a game is all graphics and no substance, as many people have said about Doom 3, then that game isn't worth replaying (won't play it more than once).  Video game graphics seems to the the absolute first thing game critics rate these days.  If it doesn't have good graphics, then it's not a good game.  They bashed Thief - Deadly Shadows using this technique, but I really think that a game should be rated on its gameplay and replay value.  Thief III definitely has superior game play and replay value (Shalebridge Cradle scared the living crap out of my asymptote.).  Half-Life for its time had extremely well-done graphics and gameplay.  I myself played the main campaign twice, as well as the two expansion packs.  Doom was pretty revolutionary for its age (1993-1994?), but the concept of "blow everything up" soon became passé and such games lost value.  Today people are trying to focus on games with more content than pure action.  That was the problem with Descent and Descent ][ , for they practically repeated each other.  Outrage saw this problem and created Descent3, where it was more interactive.  And of course, the Freespace series followed suit.

Freespace 2 is by far my favorite game, but I don't agree that FS3 must be written by Volition.  Take Thief III as an example.  LGS, the company that made the previous two games, went out of business, but Ion Storm made a sequel (the last of the series), and a pretty good one.  But personally, I don't approve of Derek Smart making FS3 for several reasons.  The biggest reason is my fear that he'll somehow merge two space-sims and call it "FS3".  My other fear is his proposed "dislike" of original FS vessels and wants to replace them with more "modern" ones.  If this means that GTVA ships (especially the Terran vessels) are to be more - nautical (such as the ugly Expediator from Descent 3), then I definitely not rally behind the game and its maker.

Thus, I think the topic of FS3 should cease to exist.  I mean, our SCP guys are working day and night, sacrificing precious time with their families and midterm/final exam study time to bring us something far more superior than what Derek could bring us.  And plus, we have fan-made campaigns such as Derelict, Inferno, and soon-to-be BWO.  So ask yourself this, "Do we really need a FS3 from an outsider?"

Rampage

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think there's a common misconception that the SCP on its own can be seen as a game. We have to remember that it's not. FSO is two things - an upgrade for the original FS2 game (ie. same campaign, better graphics) and a platform for us modders to make new, better campaigns.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The FAQ expresses my opinions on the matter.

HOW ABOUT WE GET THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER AND WRITE FS3?

After questions about FS3's release date this is one of the sorest points in the community. Although the source code for FS2 has been releases and the community is working on it they'll never make an official FS3. The community has stuck by the motto "If it isn't [V], it ain't FS3" for a long time. More importantly the various members of the community have their own viewpoints of where the FS3 plotline would go. Since they are almost certainly all different from what [V] actually planned it's very hard to pick one as the official plotline for a community based FS3.
About the only thing that the community would rally round would be an official plotline from [V] but they continue to play their cards very close to their chests in this respect.
The closest the community has gotten to making FS3 is The Ferrium Project. This is a community driven project to make a new engine based on Freespace. Although Ferrium will come with its own campaign it won't be Freespace related and thus cannot be considered as Freespace 3.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
What was the Paradigm Shift about again?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by Lightspeed

correctamundo, mi fellow hlp person.

hail volition
all hail fs3
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

The community has stuck by the motto "If it isn't [V], it ain't FS3" for a long time.

Exactly!
They are stuck, stagnated, no evolution. Let´s face it Volition is out of the ballgame, better search for a new team if you want to play the game.
Volition changed, it lost track of their fans, they moved for the big bucks with Red Faction 2. They sold out, period.
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You miss the point Swamp Thing. The point is that if the FS3 storyline doesn't have the official [V] explaination for Bosch then it's no better than any of the other mods.  What would make a game the REAL FS3 is a continuation of the storyline of FS1 & 2. The problem is that any company could make a story in the FS2 universe but unless it had the real [V] storyline it would most likely be viewed in the same sense as Alien 3 is. A fine story. Absolutely bugger all to do with 1 & 2 though.

There are 5-6 different campaigns which explain what Bosch was up to. Do you really think we can come up with an original 7th idea and get everyone to say "Yep. That's the explaination"?

I don't care if [V] write the game itself but if someone else writes the plotline then it's no more canon than MindGames or Reci or any other campaign that continues the storyline.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 05:12:00 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Or KTs' explaination for it all. Can't forget that one. Tis' the one that everyone will agree on anyway. :D
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read