Author Topic: Bay Path Quantity?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Howdy:

What's the maximum number of bay paths one can have on a model?  I ask because I got this message while loading a new model recently:

Assert: bay_num >= 1 && bay_num <= MAX_SHIP_BAY_PATHS
File: C:\fs2_open\code\ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 6902
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
looks like 10.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Too bad.  I guess this is in place since it was never expected that more than 10 ships would need to launch from a ship at once.  If (Warning:  repeat feature request) a method of indicating which bays a ship or wing arrives from or departs through could be implimented, then a larger number of bay paths would be practical.

Offline jc4jc

• Tap tap tapping
    • http://www.geocities.com/jc84jc00
I'm having the same problem with a ship from one of the local mods I'm a staff member on, the ship has the points and the game crashes even with one ship Can I gat some HEELLPP!
There is an appointed time for everything...
A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up...
A Time For War and A Time For Peace.
                                   Eccl. 3:1a, 3, 8b

I say let us strive towards PEACE.
                                    JC4JC

Advanced Weapons modder, and Fred2er, TBL modder (mostly ships and weapons). Baisc-Intermediate Ship modder. Intermediate Ani modder. Basic (not that good) Texture modder.

Stargate: SG-1 Earth's Defence. A TC for FS2. Project Lead. Formerly At VWBB and HLP, now residing at Game-Warden.

The Apocalypse Project. A Homeworld, Homeworld:Catcalysm, Homeworld 2 TC for FS2. Lead Freder. (No longer in Production)
JC 4(For) J(esus) C(hrist)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Maybe a silly idea, but how about adding more than one fighterbay, making them "nontargetable" if you wish to be them not visible in the target window, and then add the allowed fighterbays per subsystem.

I'm pretty sure, the limit is per subsystems, since my big carriers have 2 fighterbays with each 6 paths.

But I have never tested if a $fighterbay03 is allowed, my maximum was always 2.

Still, the max ship per wing is 6 (I maybe mistaken though), you will still have quite a mess in fighterbays, needs some good positions to avoid collissions.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, all of the paths on the model I was having trouble with, each went to different bay subsystems, and were listed as such in the pof data.  Instead of them being tied to the hull submodel, I'd bound them to the subsystems.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
So, how many bays and paths are you using (and on which model, if I might ask) ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline jc4jc

• Tap tap tapping
2 bays on 1 parent subsystem(fighterbay), and about 5 or 6 paths. Well, since the model is converted I guess it would be ok.... It's the Vager Carrier from Homeworld 2. I tryed reducing the number of paths but it won't work if the fighters arr to lauanch from it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:07:26 pm by 1201 »

JC4JC

Advanced Weapons modder, and Fred2er, TBL modder (mostly ships and weapons). Baisc-Intermediate Ship modder. Intermediate Ani modder. Basic (not that good) Texture modder.

Stargate: SG-1 Earth's Defence. A TC for FS2. Project Lead. Formerly At VWBB and HLP, now residing at Game-Warden.

The Apocalypse Project. A Homeworld, Homeworld:Catcalysm, Homeworld 2 TC for FS2. Lead Freder. (No longer in Production)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
The problem will not occur while converting, it will come up when the paths are going to be used (earlier it results into CTD, but AFAIK Goobers has done something about that).

However, I have never tried adding a fighterbay to a subsystem, I thought it can only exist on the mainhull. Maybe that's your problem.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline jc4jc

• Tap tap tapping
No no, I stated that wrong. I ment subsystem in-game. the parent is $fighterbay

JC4JC

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
In that case, if you have only 5-6 paths per bay (named $bay01 to $bay05) with the parent $fighterbay01 (or $fighterbay02)everything should work, if you set the paths correct that is.
(note that the paths on the second fighterbay must be named $bay06 to bay10 then)

Vertices 0 on the path is the one that is most far away from the fighterbay and has the biggest radius, and both values get smaller the closer you get to the fighterbay-subsystem. I use only 3 vertices per path, but you should be able to use more if you want a more complex flightpath

BTW, not sure that helps, so what's your problem anyway ? :)

@Goober : Trivial Psychic mentioned it above, I hope you haven't forgotten about that feature with the selectable fighterbays ? :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Starman01
@Goober : Trivial Psychic mentioned it above, I hope you haven't forgotten about that feature with the selectable fighterbays ? :)
No, I haven't.  But with all the other features, I have a long list. :p

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
One concern about the bay-selection feature would be backwards compatability.  There are several ships in both FS1 and FS2, that have more than 1 figherbay subsystem.  Obviously, you'd want to preserve the original missions rather than have arriving or departing fighters, forced to use one bay or another.  Therefore, I suggest that (assuming that its selectable via a drop-down tab in the arrival/departure cues) there be an option of " < default > ", which, if selected, would cause the selected ship or wing, to use the existing method of the code deciding which paths the ships should follow.  It would probably require that any ships that designers want to be able to take advantage of this feature, be configured so that the bay paths are attatched in the path data, to the fighterbay subsystem, rather than to  the hull submodel.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There shouldn't be any concern about that.  The blatently simple solution is that if the bay is not specified, pick the way it does now.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM